Author Topic: Mid 80s Factory Honda fourstroke  (Read 36688 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mid 80s Factory Honda fourstroke
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2014, 04:53:38 pm »
This is very interesting as not 4hrs ago I was standing in front of a Honda engines ATK of which apparently only 5 where built this one was an enduro version does look very trick

Didn't get snap happy with your phone by any chance?
I still think the details on this one are way different than that of the ATK's
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2014, 05:05:46 pm »
Have pictures but don't know how to down load

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2014, 06:02:35 pm »
The Lechein bike appears to have an Xr80 fuel tank on it

Cept'n for that XR80's did not come out in white till 1991,this bike is 84/85 ;)

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2014, 06:58:55 pm »
Its amusing that everything comes down to what people consider the bike is worth in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ .
I know its on ebay and maybe im a bit cynical but it would be nice if for once if a bike could be discussed without mentioning what people believe its $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ value is.
As with anything from a glitter covered turd to an old master it is worth what a given person would pay for it on a given day .
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2014, 07:13:56 pm »
I'm  wont be buying it, So I really don't give a dam about value. My curiosity is primarily what is it, and is the seller statment true or misguided.

I just remembered these pics from one of my old computers. It was listed some years ago on ebay as a 84/85 ATK kitter for the XR500 mill. Sure they are both non linkage single rear shock, get past that, there is no similarity whatsoever between the geometry or fabrication style or the rear frame area or swingarm and Shocker attachment position.

Is there any out there who can put up a picture of a known ATK that looks the same in the rear arrangement like this instead? Even the front of the frame oil tank and exposed back bone area are different.

A massive difference even for the vision impaired, the difference is black & white, in & out, up or down and dead or alive.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:30:46 pm by Mick D »

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2014, 07:14:37 pm »
"this listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing" ,Or did some lucky new owner buy it out side of Ebay ;)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2014, 07:20:16 pm »
I really think that is a just an ATK kit bike? The finish to me is just not Honda HRC.

The frame was built by ATK specially for this bike. Based on the Rotax frames, but with the shock on the opposite side...

ATK did not make them for the Rotax engines first.
At first ATK frame kits were ONLY produced for Honda engines, the Rotax kits followed latter.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2014, 07:22:57 pm »
"this listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing" ,Or did some lucky new owner buy it out side of Ebay ;)

It was only a matter of time ::) I wonder if Ron Lechien bought it, now wouldn't that be ironic ;D

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2014, 07:34:31 pm »
No doubt some one made him a offer he couldn't refuse 8)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2014, 07:38:52 pm »

Cept'n for that XR80's did not come out in white till 1991,this bike is 84/85 ;)

This bike has obviously had a substantial history of use.
Things get serviced repaired replaced and changed,,,then the ride and the fun goes on.
If this were an ATK some one would have found a pic from an ATK advertisement or test or such that matches this frame in question, that hasn't happened,, until it does?? She ain't no ATK, No photoshop either thanks ::)

No doubt some one made him a offer he couldn't refuse 8)
Sometimes thats the best way to get things get done.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:51:10 pm by Mick D »

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2014, 07:55:39 pm »
from all the pics the roller is the real deal no doubt about that and the only non real part is the stocker motor but theres plenty of go fast bits out there to get the stocker singing as fast as the hrc motor so the now 9k asking price is realistic for what it is and the history it has and a cheap "works" bike that is normally out of most joe averages price range. i hope an aussie brought it ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2014, 08:10:20 pm »

Yes, indeed.

The Americans always seemed to be able to get different coloured plastics (thinking about the TUF team bikes, etc.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline MaxPower

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2014, 09:27:06 am »
Not saying it isnt rare. It is. If Honda was making a works 4 stroke to race in 86 I don't see them running 1984 side plates. Or them using cast triple clamps for a works effort. Or even a plastic tank never mind a plastic tank from a different brand bike.It has some kind of ATK roots.Cleaned up it would be a bad ass bike. We all know It's not HRC

Offline RjpRacingAustralia

• Novice
  • There is no right or wrong just what works
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2014, 04:05:30 pm »
Honda USA built these bikes not HRC ,it had HRC parts fitted and factory Showa suspension.
Its a pain to upload pics to this site but I have pics if someone wants to post for me? I will post them on FB page.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:09:01 pm by RjpRacingAustralia »

Offline gwc162

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • WayCool VMX Racing
Suzuki RM250d, PE 250 c, WRf250, Multistrada 1000s
Heaven #162