Author Topic: TS250x tidy up  (Read 40098 times)

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: TS250x tidy up
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 09:35:24 pm »
Somewhere at work I have a head already machined
18.3 cc's rings a bell
1.3 mm at circumference
I think it was close to the RM250G

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:29 pm »
Back in the 80's we did about 20 of the early TS's and about 10 of the same engined Quadracers
One of the magazines, maybe ADB did a story on the mods but it would have been as Sportcycles Suzuki Adamstown not SUZUKI of NEWCASTLE
Also I mentioned we lightened the ignition flywheel even on the Quadracers

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 11:59:48 pm »
Paul where did you get your gasket set from cheers Andrew
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 04:30:52 am »
Suzuki had complete gasket sets
So hopefully his local Suzuki dealer

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 08:24:26 am »
PE 175 82-84 has all the same part numbers for the main swing-arm bearings and all balls makes a kit for the PE bit of trivia but might be of use.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline nelpd96

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 09:22:52 am »
Andrew Good to know about the swingarm bearings. Was putting mine back together last night and realized that they misplaced one of the spacers and the dust seals when they did the bearings last. New set ordered from kessner Suzuki. As for the gasket kit I couldn't find a complete one locally so bought one for a LT 250R 1985 as they seems to have the same engine. A quick look days that they are the same at least for the top end.

Offline nelpd96

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 09:44:39 pm »
So it turns out the guy that does my machine work does not trust my measurements (which is fair enough as you can't really stick it back on) so I have to see another fellow tomorrow to confirm the amount to come off the head before machining Thursday to set the squish. The reeds and bearings turned up today so I will give a proper update over the weekend with some photos and such of the head before and after as well as part numbers for the reed once I have confirmed 100% that they are the right ones.

Cheers
Paul

Offline nelpd96

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2014, 07:48:12 pm »
You are all probably sick of updates by now but I will keep plugging away.

Head has been skimmed, squish now sits at 1.4mm which is pretty much spot on. Barrell come off tonight as well so that I could have a decent look at everything and take some measurements. I have to say I am very impressed, nearly 30 years old and 34,000km and this this still has the standard piston and rings in it and they are still within spec. the end gap on the rings is 0.6mm max allowable according to the manual is 0.85mm so plenty of room. Now that I have it apart I will give the barrel a quick hone to give the rings something to seat into.

Other than that most of the bits I ordered have turned up including the Boysen reeds. It was a bit of a guess that they were going to work but they look like they will be the right ones. Should have it all back together and in the frame by the end of the weekend.

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2014, 08:05:26 pm »
Don't stop updating us !!
I'm loving this topic
Cheers

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 08:18:58 pm »
looks like a few dags and some extra width as such in that transfer area and the bridges could do with a knife edging..wack the base gasket on and see what needs trimming out. gone this far might as well go the 100%

Offline nelpd96

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2014, 08:25:39 pm »
looks like a few dags and some extra width as such in that transfer area and the bridges could do with a knife edging..wack the base gasket on and see what needs trimming out. gone this far might as well go the 100%

That is certainly the plan. I still have a bit more of the old gasket to clean up but it is getting too cold in the shed at the moment so I am sitting at the computer with a cuppa at the moment typing this  ;D

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 08:39:09 pm »
I am sorry that I have been too busy to look for my last head for the exact dimensions,
You are going OK BUT,
If you want it to perform the head needs more off it, the dome is much smaller then the clearance is maintained to prevent detonation, so it needs more work,
I would also use a new Piston Kit, that piston might be within spec but it will be worn at the bottom of the inlet skirt and my Chrystal Ball is telling me that used piston skirt will crack soon especially with the increased compression.
Also replace the piston thrust washers as they elongate then break with obvious consequences.
Take a few mm off the piston inlet skirt it is definitely Free Horsepower
Anyway great photos and a good thread on these great bikes

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 08:46:04 pm »
Husky your info is good for bikes that are near their potential,
But the Early TS250X is so underdone the porting tool has to start with the inlet port where the free horsepower is
Pissing around in the backs of transfers is last thing for the final drops in the bottle
Especially with this engine

Offline nelpd96

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 09:33:05 pm »
So it has been a bit of a slow week with work, kids not sleeping and just generally being too cold to be in the shed. However there has been some progress. The bottom end is back in the frame as is the swing arm and rear wheel. I had a set of D606 in the shed from the KLR that I thought would look much better than the Trail wings. I was right but I must admit that I am a little out of proctive when ti comes to changing tyres but I got there in the end.

I have pressed in the new head stem bearings and the new piston arrived today so the barrel will go off for a 0.5mm bore and hone tomorrow. I gave the ports a tidy up before I send it off, noting serious just getting out some casting marks and smoothing transitions. The barrel is a pretty good fit on the bottom end and there was only a couple of mm in it to match it all up. Fingers crossed that the rear shock will turn up tomorrow so I can put the back end together over the weekend.

The forks are out and apart, I am just waiting on a lead for a set of Gen 1 KLR650 fork springs at the right price (free) to see how much heavier they are. I also decided that I would make my own air caps for the forks so I dropped into JAX on the way to work and got a set of alloy valve stems for $5 and will just drill the standard caps and fit them up.

At some stage this weekend I need to strip the tank back for a coat of paint as well but other than that I think I am just about at the stage of buttoning everything back up again.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 10:02:16 pm »
starting to look like something now...getting to the best bit, bolting new or cleaned parts back on!