Author Topic: Vintage Nats - standard of racing and dealing with different levels of talent  (Read 27502 times)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
unfortunate but could we have a caption contest for the guy next to him??

Simo63

My mate Derrick Redding leading the first pre 85 125 race when he misjudged the first uphill step up
This put him out for the rest of the weekend..

Thanks John, I've edited my post above to have the right rider. Is Derrick okay?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile

Step ups/doubles.. call them what you will.
The first 2 were added the week before the event and the 4th is a new section still under construction.

Fair enough. I made the distinction because (AFAIK) man-made doubles are not OK for outdoor MX, but step-ups are OK.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Please, let's keep things respectful. This isn't meant to be any sort of witch hunt - it's about suggesting ways to better manage the risks in running these events. That's if the risks are more significant now than they were. I think whoever said it earlier hit the nail on the head - this is mostly about older guys having a good time. But that said, it IS an Aussie title, so it IS gonna be on the line to some extent.

Offline Baaarb

• Novice
    • View Profile
My two bobs worth, those 2 step ups made it a challenge for some of us that entered after having ridden both the meeting last year and the practice  recently. I had a few goes at them but after casing badly thought the better of it and rolled them for the rest of the meeting. That fully stuffed both my rhythm and lap times. I finished up lending my evo bike to another rider who could manage them and rolled around on my backup pre 78. While I don't kid myself that I could have taken any silverware home, these things discourage some of us from entering these meetings and will only hurt the sport in the long run.
I did enjoy the meeting anyway and was cool to watch the guns on the " moderns" shredding the place up.
Congrats to all the new title holders, you sure earn't those medals.
Tony 922

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
My mate Derrick Redding leading the first pre 85 125 race when he misjudged the first uphill step up
This put him out for the rest of the weekend..

Thanks John, I've edited my post above to have the right rider. Is Derrick okay?
Yes Simo he's ok, just a damaged thumb and ego..

Simo63

Yes Simo he's ok, just a damaged thumb and ego..

Okay good to hear :)

Offline Charlie B

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
My 2 cents.....The passing flag suggestion makes sense, it is widely used in all forms of Motorsport, why not ours?

I think vintage racing and technically challenging tracks are mutually exclusive and directly influence approaches to riding styles and bike / body preservation.  The two subjects are linked and accommodating these conflicting considerations does need a solution.

Looking at the Sup Regs for the nationals, there appears to be a provision that if tweaked could work for all....

It currently reads:

18.     GRID POSITIONS:

Timed qualifying will be utilised. The top 40 fastest lap times will be placed in the point scoring Championship events.  The balance of competitors will be placed in the consolation events.  Practice will be 2 laps; a green flag will be displayed at the completion of those two laps, qualifying will then commence for a period of 10 minutes.

With some design, the "fastest 40" could be replaced with "within 25 seconds of the fastest time". 

With a consolidated class made up of those outside the nominated qualifying time.....

Or  ..... Just make the races 4 laps.....   ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:39:00 PM by Charlie B »
Retiring ... all bikes and parts must go.....  1984 KX250's (2 off) and Resto Project 1983 KX125's (3 off)

PM for details

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
The real issue is that VMX is the only sport I know of that embraces (and needs) punters at its national level.

Do we keep the Nationals "pure" for the genuine contenders, or do we tweak them to suit the punters?
If so, how?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
The real issue is that VMX is the only sport I know of that embraces (and needs) punters at its national level.

Do we keep the Nationals "pure" for the genuine contenders, or do we tweak them to suit the punters?
If so, how?
Why does anything need to be changed at all?
More people had difficulty with the track than lapped riders...
I think a bigger issue would be to have someone switched on to inspect tracks used for state and national titles before the event and guide the track curator to how it needs to be prepped to suit vmx bikes

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
I think that's a solid point, but what would suit a "VMX bike"? When the Post Classic titles could embrace me on a 1979 YZ125F and someone of the calibre of a James Deakin on an 89 CR500?

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
It's VMX we forget the great range of ages and abilities.  Our National Championships are great, with very few succeeding and recieving silberware, no sponsorship, no dollars, no contract to ride.  Just damn good fun.  I will never win a championship and I will probably get lapped.  But it's getting out there and just damn well enjoying it all on and off the track.  I think we are forgetting why we're involved VMX, for the fun of rebuilding, barn finds, the bench racing and the damn great time we have with like minded people.

Start worrying about lapped people and you won't have a National championship, because very few will qualify, there goes the spectacle.  Just my opinion, no offence meant
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
It's VMX we forget the great range of ages and abilities.  Our National Championships are great, with very few succeeding and recieving silberware, no sponsorship, no dollars, no contract to ride.  Just damn good fun.  I will never win a championship and I will probably get lapped.  But it's getting out there and just damn well enjoying it all on and off the track.  I think we are forgetting why we're involved VMX, for the fun of rebuilding, barn finds, the bench racing and the damn great time we have with like minded people.

Start worrying about lapped people and you won't have a National championship, because very few will qualify, there goes the spectacle.  Just my opinion, no offence meant

Excellent post 8)  cheers
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Today's tracks seem to be modeled on US supercross tracks even at the lowest club level. I think because every parent thinks their kid is the next Chad Reed and they seem to run clubs these days. I've always said that tracks should be built for for C graders at club level, to encourage not discourage. Fast guys will be fast on any track but to add obstacles that only the best can do just makes the gap between riders all the more obvious. Table tops & ski jumps are all that are required at any club level track. There are plenty of ride parks with obstacles to practice on for the big leaguers. I wasn't there but sounds like only the younger "ring ins" had any real chance at the Nationals which is a shame IMO. I am a fat old bald grumpy cu*t though.
K

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Today's tracks seem to be modeled on US supercross tracks even at the lowest club level. I think because every parent thinks their kid is the next Chad Reed and they seem to run clubs these days.

I'd never seen Echo Valley before the weekend, but that's the vibe I got from the place.
This seems particularly likely if they added two step-ups a week before our event.

The Canberra Club wet down this path a few years ago, and it decimated the club.