Author Topic: Chinese Bikes?  (Read 10542 times)

Tony T

Chinese Bikes?
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:10:34 pm »
I can't believe I'm even asking this, but can anyone tell me if Chinese bikes (specifically the Skyteam V Retro 250) are really as bad as I hear?
I'd prefer to only hear for those with first-hand experience and I'm keen to hear both good and bad experiences.
I really enjoy building and working on bikes, but I'd also like to have something that won't leave me stranded every second ride.
With serious time and preparation is it possible to make one reliable for a 3 or 4 day trip at a time?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Bikes?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:02:38 pm »
I'm saying this to be a smart arse, but my smart arse comment actually makes a lot of sense:

TTR is cheaper, faster, further away from a rebuild, is a known quantity and has a nationwide parts network.

------

In my limited experience, a decent look over a Chinese bike will usually give you a big hint about how good or bad it is.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:20:49 pm »
Is a TTR really cheaper? If so you wouldn't look at a Skyream now would you?  But I do like the sound of the Odes...

Offline RD

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:41:23 pm »
I own a mower shop in se Qld and have recently broadened my product range to include some chinese product.
One range i am trying is the Odes (bikes and quads)
I havent retailed any of the Odes bikes as yet but i have a mcf250 in stock and have taken it for a play in the dirt and it wasnt a bad thing at all.
A lot of people have had really close look at it and the common concensus is that the build quality is really good and the 2 year warranty doesnt hurt either.
The price is right at $5000 for the 250 and $6300 for the 450.
At the end of the day if the punters dont take to this product its ok cause im happy to keep it as my modern.
Cheers
Roger
Suck Squeeze Bang Blow

Simo63

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:51:30 pm »
I can't believe I'm even asking this, but can anyone tell me if Chinese bikes (specifically the Skyteam V Retro 250) are really as bad as I hear?
I'd prefer to only hear for those with first-hand experience and I'm keen to hear both good and bad experiences.
I really enjoy building and working on bikes, but I'd also like to have something that won't leave me stranded every second ride.
With serious time and preparation is it possible to make one reliable for a 3 or 4 day trip at a time?

DON'T DO IT

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:12:57 pm »
If you're prepared to pretty much dis assemble the bike (engine aside) and put it back together with quality fittings and nylocks/loctite then it's possible to make the higher end of Chinese bikes satisfactory for long term use. The engines and gearboxes on these things seem to be the best part of Chinese bikes by far and I wouldn't imagine any major issues arising with a somewhat competent wrench man on board. One thing I'd be scared of though and I'm sure someone of you're touring experience would of considered is availability of tires in any remote areas, a problem at the best of times but given the specificity of the rubber this thing rolls on you risk being stranded even longer than normal if waiting on hoops to get you back on the road. Just my 2c

For anyone interested this is bike TT is referring to http://ikonikmoto.com.au/demo/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=85

Cheers, Brendan
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:18:21 pm by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:49:13 am »
I don't know about that one [ skyteam ] but the cheaper dirt stuff is not so good.
One Example.
I've just rebuilt a front wheel using a 2nd hand Chinese ally rim .
It looks great from the outside except for the flat spot but inside the spokes have been chewing their way out and the nipple seats are a mess.
The ally must be softer than the correct grade because I've never seen this before.

cheers
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:51:23 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Tony T

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 07:59:38 am »
DON'T DO IT

Have you actually owned one? And if so, what specifically is you're issue with them?
So far, those with first-hand knowledge seem to have a positive attitude to them.

Here's the deal, I enjoy building bikes as much as riding these days, but I'm getting a little tired of the rust and dirt.  ;)
So I was thinking that one of these Chinese things might be a fun and cheap to work with and try and turn into something decent.  8)
Good thought about tyres, Brendan. But I definitely would have no plans to take one anywhere remotely remote.......  ;D
Just looking for some cheap time in the shed, something to strap to the back of the caravan and the occasional overnighter.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:03:17 am by Tony T »

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 08:32:55 am »

As rookie said plenty of lock tight and nyelex nuts butn don't try and do them up
    too tight.
    We had this trouble with the first Japanese Bikes until they learnt to make better
    Quality Steel/ Metal parts.

Some Brands of BMW . Harley Davison . Honda. Bikes are made in China.
    And General Motors are currently building a plant to make Cars there as well .

I have had 3 mini bikes for my Grandsons they have flogged them to death over
    5 years with no motor problems at all.
     They will learn the same as the Japanese did..

The stig

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:37:32 am »
I know if you buy a modern japanese bike or ktm, you can ride it like you stole it and it will keep on keep on keeping on with a bit of maintenance. The china bikes can not do that, they break and wear in funny areas. You would be better of with a good TSER185 for instance.... or a WR200 etc.
I think in 5 yrs some china bikes will be good.....

Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Simo63

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 09:10:48 am »

Have you actually owned one? And if so, what specifically is you're issue with them?
So far, those with first-hand knowledge seem to have a positive attitude to them.

No I haven't fallen into that trap but my mate did and it just fell apart .. well the bits that didn't bend and break that was ... you know .. little things bending like the front axle  :o :o :o

I couldn't tell you the brand name but whatever it was it was just a complete pile of cheap, poor quality shit in my opinion

And yes Tony, I have heard stories of people claiming that they get good service from them .... and them even lasting a few years but that's not been my experience.  Besides .... lasting a few years certainly isn't my idea of good quality or service life either .. in fact it's far from it.  And by the time a few years has passed they are completely trashed. 

In my humble opinion, good quality and good service life is being able to ride them for 10 years and not have them deteriorate a great deal and then rebuild them to get another 10 years out of them.  Sorta like what we do with our VMX bikes  ;)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:29:56 am »
spare parts availability is sometimes an issue - as is longevity of access to those parts because they change design so quickly.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 09:38:04 am »
the main issue is the quality of the bits that make it up... it looks like a bike, it goes like a bike but it doesn't have years of testing on the standards required to make the critical bits work aslong as they should. ie manufacturing quality control is crap.

No sooner do they get some one turning out part xyz for them when the foreman gets 3rd cousin chang to copy them and supply at a cheaper rate. 3rd cuz gets his steel from chr*st knows where and these issues result in a series of bikes that flog themselves out badly. yes, ridden quietly and on the roads, well graded dirt roads, you will get service but as soon as stresses increase beyond the capability of the weakest part it will let you down. Quite often they are like trying to fix a 30 year old bike with oval wear holes, bent bits that shouldn't be etc etc.

its a tool for a special application....choose wisely.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 09:53:51 am »
Is a TTR really cheaper? If so you wouldn't look at a Skyream now would you?  But I do like the sound of the Odes...

I was talking about a 2003 model TTR. A particular one. ;)

But even with 6,000km on it (and away from the sales-pitch :D), it seems like a better bet.
I always get a laugh walking among the shiny new CRFs & WRFs at the dealers, thinking that my 11 year old TTR is still much further away from its first rebuild than all of them.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 10:16:33 am »
One thing to remember with chinka shit.....there is NO resale value.....NO one is going to buy it off you.....so lets say you pay 5K for a 250 or whatever, as long as you are prepared to rip up ALL of the money you paid for it then buy one, but if you change your mind in 6 months, don't expect to get any money for it, as Nathan say's, buy a TTR250 or XR250 for a couple of grand, spend a couple on it and you will have a good reliable bike that in 6 month's someone WILL  buy off you.[ I'm saying this because we know you change bikes regulary]. Go and see the Whyalla lurker......he has a shed full of stuff to get rid of.....i'll pm his number if you want. One of the most fun bikes I have ever had was a WR200....went anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:21:49 am by Davey Crocket »
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.