Author Topic: Chinese Bikes?  (Read 10539 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Bikes?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 10:28:19 am »
JTR in Qld will buy all the used motors and suspension components from these bikes He claims they are far superior to what he can produce
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 10:46:58 am »
Are you sniffing your product again?.....that white powder is no good for you.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 10:48:04 am »
JTR in Qld will buy all the used motors and suspension components from these bikes He claims they are far superior to what he can produce

I hear  people that are doing up Postie bikes are using there china made 125 / 150 motors with good results fit strait in as well.

The stig

Tony T

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 11:17:26 am »
You're right in everything you've said Tatey, but the whole reason I was considering one of these was mainly cos I thought it might be fun to work on and develop.
I don't get a lot of chances to ride, so working on bikes and turning them into something useful is what I'm enjoying most and I'm getting a little sick of dealing with rusted up parts.
I have found out that mostly those that have owned one seem to say they can be ok with work and those that never have, simply say they are junk.  ???
Taking on board what everyone has said, I'm still most absolutely, positively undecided............   ;D

Simo63

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 11:26:55 am »
Taking on board what everyone has said, I'm still most absolutely, positively undecided............   ;D

Lol ..mission accomplished then :)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 11:34:58 am »

Ted, check your calendar mate...its April 2nd today  ;D
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 11:52:59 am »
Here's the deal, I enjoy building bikes as much as riding these days, but I'm getting a little tired of the rust and dirt.  ;)
So I was thinking that one of these Chinese things might be a fun and cheap to work with and try and turn into something decent.  8)

I had similar thoughts bouncing around inside my head many many years back, I knew the bikes weren't the best but with my skills and knowledge I thought maybe I could turn some into something remotely decent.

Then a mate brought around some 200cc full size bikes to have some bits modified and repaired and I came to realize that they were exceptionally woeful.
The finish on them was good and they looked the part but the materials they used on a lot of the parts (metal & plastic) were really substandard, the motor wasn't too bad as it was a copy of something but what they had designed themselves was rubbish.
The forks looked really good with their anodized parts but they had no dampening.
Front and rear discs looked good also but they stuffed up the ratios of the master & slave cylinders to the point that they had no decent leverage and the brakes were next to useless.

The more I looked at what needed sorting the more expensive the whole thing became and it became more obvious that it would be easier & cheaper to restore an XR200.

That was maybe 10 years or more back so maybe the model your looking at is sorted better but I doubt it.

It's often mentioned that the Japs weren't that good in their early years either but the Japs have a different culture, they wanted to build a better product and went to extremes to do so by buying in riders and copying existing models and then improving on them.
It's not that the Chinese can't build good stuff, but it seems that they can only do it when a Western company makes them build to a spec.
When left to their own devices they seem to take as many shortcuts as they can to optimize profits, mostly by using substandard steel etc.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 01:25:24 pm »
GMC, you are right but the Chinese are trying. Mate just over there for a year with team of 6 kiwi engineers building a motocross bike, chinese making an effort to make a bike half decent, bike was copy of Honda m/xer. How ever Kiwi's suggested brembo brakes ( better and parts could be bought any where in world) but no we will copy attitude was Chinese answer.
He now works at Silverstone making formula 1 parts.
All is not lost with the Chinese metisse still in production.....lol
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 02:44:43 pm »
Many years ago I was asked to build up a bunch of Chinese bikes and to also assist with warranty repairs.    After a month I bailed as there was no way I wanted to be associated with death traps.  I also advised the importer to make sure he had massive liability insurance.
Saying that I recently had a good look at a couple bikes down the road from me and if I was looking for a cheap trail bike I would seriously consider one.
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 04:12:01 pm »
.... team of kiwi engineers ....

This must be the first time that phrase has EVER been used!
Reckon that six of them being in China, would have left NZ with approximately none.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline ty4

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 05:12:20 pm »
i guess you've gotta decide if you want to flush up to 5K down the crapper..you may get a lot of satisfaction tooling around in the shed but when you're over it you may as well lean it against the shed wall..few if any will be interested in buying it..

i reckon grab something else with known issues and put the thought process towards that

tony

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 12:50:38 am »
Your wrong Nathan, TMBill [AKA William Doe] is still there [UnZud]......he's a fully qualified underwater flagpole painter [they have gone "green" with the paint and now use water based paints......they still can't get it to stick underwater? ???[
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 08:31:18 am »
Another good one are those pocket bike things.
The carb has no idle circuit and the motor has no reed valve.
So what you get at idle is a over fueling loop.
Running way to rich at idle so some fuel gets blown back into the pod filter some of which is added to the next cycle and so on until the engine stops.
I couldn't believe it when I found the problem , who makes a carb with no idle system. :o
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 09:18:23 pm »
I had a meeting  in our office today with a Chinese electronic controls bloke, on the way out he was fascinated about all my Bultaco's parked up on the mezz floor, asking questions etc, etc. I didn't have the heart to tell him!!
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Tony T

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 10:13:27 pm »
he was fascinated about all my Bultaco's parked up on the mezz floor,

I think a photo might be in order here.....  8)
My lawyer's got a very complete Metralla, albeit a basket case. I've offered to help him get it together and I'll only charge what he would charge me for his 'skills'.  ;D