Author Topic: Another money grab from Ebay.  (Read 6812 times)

Offline mudguard

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Another money grab from Ebay.
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:18 pm »

Changes to the fee structure.
From 6 May 2014 selling fees (final value fees) will be charged on the total cost of a sale, i.e. the sale price + postage cost.
 The new way of calculating final value fees means all sellers pay a fee based on the total sale price, whether postage is included in the cost of an item or charged additionally.

Example: I sold a front mudguard to a buyer in Tassie. Postage from Brisbane to Tassie was $45. As well as taking a cut from the item sale price, Ebay will soon slug you a fee from the $45 for posting it   >:(
No wonder I seem to be looking at Gumtree more often
What are your thoughts?

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: Another money grab from Ebay.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:37:52 pm »
It was called evilbay for a long time now its greedbay...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:47:53 pm »
if i sell a clutch cover on ebay thay hit me 46$ on a 430 $  item plus 12 for paypal

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:48:18 pm »

I thought Gumtree was Owned by the same Mob that own Ebay

The Stig

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:53:56 pm »
It would be interesting to see if evilbay pays it's fair of tax in Australia Wayne, they are thieving bastards that don't want to know about any issues with buyers or sellers so as long as they get there money.....and yes, they own gumtree so I bet that they wont be free much longer.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline mudguard

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:01:05 pm »
Thats a good point John. They probably pay 2/5 of f#&kall in tax to the Australian Government.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:19:00 pm »
Ebay and its policies/costs are beginning to become the polar opposite of what it once was for australian retailers, which is a GOOD thing. Prices are going skywards on ebay as sellers continue to raise their prices to keep up with ever increasing sellers fees. Many items can now be bought cheaper in store (bike shops in our case) and slowly the astute buying public are cottoning on to this.

These grips in store are $15.95
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Torc1-hotlap-MX-Enduro-Dirtbike-Grips-Green-Odi-Free-Grip-Glue-/290971019142?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bf396786&_uhb=1

This lever in store is $12.50
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Forged-Clutch-Lever-for-Kawasaki-KX250F-KX450F-KX250-/281147833388?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4175b77c2c&_uhb=1

These pads in store $39.95
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DP-Brakes-Rear-Brake-Pads-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-2009-2013-DP412-/190923310596?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c73ea8604&_uhb=1

These boots in store $329 (maybe even $299 if you ask nice)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Forma-ADVENTURE-waterproof-mens-and-womens-motorcycle-boots-/251306075417?pt=AU_Clothing_Merchandise_Media&var&hash=item3a83026519&_uhb=1

The list goes on and on, yes these are just a few examples (from aus sellers) but its a common thread im seeing more and more daily. Bottom line is, "cheaper on ebay" is hopefully something we'll hear less and less of in the future.. 8) Which is good cause when you hear it on a daily basis after investing minutes or hours of your time with someone it kinda makes you wanna puch some mutha fluckas in the face sometimes! :o ;D

Cheers, Brendan
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:23:50 pm by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Cabmkr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 10:33:29 pm »
I thought Gumtree was Owned by the same Mob that own Ebay

Over on this side of the pond they own Kijiji which is like your Gumtree.

Also E bay are making harder for us people with fewer listings (shipping policys buy a number, etc) and I have held off on buying things that have "import" charges on the site as these should get paid when the postie drops them off.  I try my best not to buy much off e-bay and use it as a last resort.

Ebay and its policies/costs are beginning to become the polar opposite of what it once was for Australian retailers, which is a GOOD thing. Prices are going skywards on ebay as sellers continue to raise their prices to keep up with ever increasing sellers fees. Many items can now be bought cheaper in store (bike shops in our case) and slowly the astute buying public are cottoning on to this.

This is good for the local shops for sure. Half of the stuff on there can usually be sourced locally. When my father in law was restoring his TT500 he comes to me to give me money to buy chain and sprockets off of ebay, I  told him he was nuts as all this is in the catalogue at the bike shop. People just don' get it and all we need to do is a bit of research. I deal as much as I can at my small local shop and I get first dibs on any bikes that get left there  ;D 

Cabmkr
Current rides/projects 75 MX125B, 75 TY250B, 75 Carabella Rally 175, 76 TT500 Ice bike, 78 IT400E 79 CB750F , 81 XS650H Street Tracker, 81 YZ250H X2, 93 DS80

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 10:49:02 pm »
They probably pay 2/5 of f#&kall in tax to the Australian Government.

They actually pay 0/5 of f#&kall in tax to the Australian Government.

Despite the .au in the web address they are based in
eBay International AG
Helvetiastrasse 15/17
3005 Bern
Switzerland

So they pay no GST and no company tax
Paypal is the same deal, govt. gets zilch

Trouble is everyone relies on it so they can do what they want.
I sell my footpegs and muffler packing on ebay because that's where people are looking for it, they don't bother looking at my site unless I spend a black fortune on advertising.

Incidentally my last invoice stated...

Fees as a percentage of your sales
This month's eBay sales and fees
Total monthly sales  AU $152.00
Total monthly fees  9.9%

and that doesn't include the Paypal fees
That percentage will get worse if I have to pay a fee on postage as well

Consumer affairs should look into how they are charging a fee for postage but as they are not in Aust. they probably don't have to abide by anything
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 12:13:55 am »
I was told that this was to stop people selling at false low buy it now prices and the whacking it on high postage costs.

So $0.99 from China and $24 to post etc.  So ebay miss out on the selling fee as people make the money on postage.

A cunning trick of course and ebay miss out on their final selling fee, so this is to stop that practice (and we all suffer for it)

I can see where they are coming from as they are running a business after all.

What sticks in my throat is when they say they are doing this to help us and make it simple.  er no ebay, I can do without that kind of help, you are just taking more money from me!

Like when the fees went up to 10%.  They only did that to 'help' me! 

A paypal claim is also a unpleasant experience.  The buyer only has to cough and they take the money from you immediately whilst they investigate the claim and they have the gall to thank you for 'helping' them with the case.  Err, I am not helping, you just took it immediately with no notice mr paypal!  Talk about gulty until proved innocent.  You then have to go through the ringer (which can take hours, to show you are not af fault) before your money is returned.  Only happened once with a scum bad who showed his true colours after the claim was settle in my favour.  He then wanted to commit fraud with the courrier saying it had been damaged, so he could get his money back.  Scum bag!

That said I do have peace of mind when I buy with paypal as I know I am protected if there is a problem.  So it is a two way street.  I was glad I did when I made the mistake of trying to buy a fuel tank from our friends in India.  Luckily I had some come back and got my money back when the tank did not appear after ever excuse in the book!

Some positives are that ebay is global and it allows you to tap into a world wide market to sell your bits and bobs in the way that a small advert in the local paper would never allow you to do ~ albeit at a price!

Lastly (rant almost over) I dont understand why ebay has different rules in different countries.  In the UK I have to have a paypal account and I have to accept paypal payment, where I like it or not.  If you write in the text No paypal on this part they can (and do) close the advert and tell you off.  Yet in Europe you dont have to have paypal or accept a paypal payment.  when thsi happens I have to do a bank transfer.  Other European ebay sites also have free ebay adverts that run along side the main ebay site.  Italy has the 'annunci' site which is for free adverts, yet we dont do that in the Uk..... what is that all about?   One company, all manner of different rules for different countries ~ doesnt seem right.

Bottom line I have sold quite a bit of stuff on ebay and now have friends all over the world that I would not have had before this site, so it isnt all bad.

Never the less the fees creeping up left right and centre all to 'help' me, is the kind of help I could do without!

Offline Lewis

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 07:28:41 am »
I sent them an email telling them that I no longer sell thru ebay due to their ever increasing fees. I don't expect to get a reply as I am just one out of many millions that use them.Ever wonder how many dollars they must make world wide? With that sort of turnover one would think they could actually lower their fees and still make a healthy profit.

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 07:59:49 am »
What they really should have, is two rates . One for private sellers that can disappear overnight and do not pay any taxes , the other, the cheaper rate, for registered businesses have a shopfront,overheads and offer buyer long term security. That would help with future spares and warranty, but also give the longterm sellers a level playing field .

Sounds good and they do that already.  If you are registered as a business seller you get preferential rates and reduced fees.  Joe Public pay higher rates.  Do you sell on ebay?  As a registered business seller you would know this already.  Maybe the rules are different in Oz, but in the UK that's the way it works.  I guess that softens the blow (a little bit anyway) to businesses who support the sport put so much back into it ~ I am guessing you are talking about motorcycling, but relevant to just about any pursuit in life.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:44:56 am by flower pot racing »

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 09:28:04 am »
modified at no cost?  Surely they are dreaming?  You can't expect someone to run a business and work for nothing!  I would love to work for nothing especially is someone else pays the bills and puts food on the table...

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 09:57:18 am »
agree with Rookie#1 - need to be careful on ebay now - I check other soruces first as in some instances (looking for a camera) they are actually dearer than buying from my local retailer or buying from the OEM.  Have significantly dropped my buying from ebay for VMX gear and use the retialers I have come to trust over the years.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 10:58:53 am »
The fees on greedbay are getting out of control. While I get all my consumable parts from aussie dealers (chains, sprockets, lubes, tyres etc.), when you need an obsolete part that can't be found for the love of money in Australia. Case in point, I've been looking for a filter cage (or complete airbox) for a PE250 for ages. I found a cage the other day which had buy now for US $19.90. Postage US $69 ! WTF Send the seller a message asking if this was right as I thought the postage cost was wrong. He replied they send everything via USPS flat rate boxes as all the packaging and labels are free to them.They don't have to weigh every item and it makes it easier for them to run their business...If I don't like the way they do business, please don't buy from us!
I refuse to pay $69 to post something that weighs next to nothing and will fit in a padded express bag. Bastards!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.