Author Topic: Which bike for ALL occasions??!!!  (Read 31090 times)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Which bike for ALL occasions??!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 05:58:09 pm »
Tim, obviously the chemicals are being dumped at the transfer station today. It seems the fumes must be getting to your head ;D ;D ;)

and loving it   ;D

DT250/360 IT250/400 PE 250 and the Huskies all fit your bill. Going elsewhere starts to post harder spares and repairs problems, though they all have some degrees of unobtainium .
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:11:30 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Simo63

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 06:40:40 pm »
I have the answer Brendan its behind my shed IT400D . not pretty but it fits the bill .

I've got one in my shed and it IS pretty .. only 362 miles on the clock

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 06:41:10 pm »
I have the answer Brendan its behind my shed IT400D . not pretty but it fits the bill .

;D see the good thing about selling a bunch of bikes to be replaced by just 1 means ill want a bloody good one and just keep it that way!! Looking to shell out 3-5k for the right thing ;)

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 06:43:20 pm »

I've got one in my shed and it IS pretty .. only 362 miles on the clock

It's a consideration Craig and I wondered if you still had it, although I do like the idea that the 77-78 huskies had the amount of suspension travel that the japs didn't start producing until the early - mid 80's

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 07:02:21 pm »
Not keen on a 77 PE 250 due to them looking ugly as fluck! But is the 78 the same frame/engine/gearbox? If so I'm sure my local club won't get too stroppy about running with the pre78's. the 390 husky sounds ok too, I've only ever ridden a 82 wr430 and loooved it, if the 390 offers similar power delivery and gear ratios I could very much see myself on one

430 is excellent in every way, although i doubt you'd get a start in pre'78! As for the 390, the steering is an aquired taste, the rest is excellent, the motor is a ripper even in stock form, was the 390 around in '77? I thought 78 on? 

Kt

I wasn't expecting to sneak a 430 into pre 78, even I wouldn't push my luck that far  ;D ;)

Offline jimbo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 07:07:14 pm »
Brendan ,390  Huskies fit the bill ,easy to maintain ,very reliable if you buy a good one, fast with bags of torque  spare parts that flow through models ,lighting and power circuits on all models ,and competitive with neutral handling regards Jimbo ps I've used the same bike for every thing for twenty years without a major issue

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 07:15:09 pm »
Brendan ,390  Huskies fit the bill ,easy to maintain ,very reliable if you buy a good one, fast with bags of torque  spare parts that flow through models ,lighting and power circuits on all models ,and competitive with neutral handling regards Jimbo ps I've used the same bike for every thing for twenty years without a major issue

Thanks for the input Jimbo, prob yours and Bigk's input the most valid when it comes to Huskies. So now the question.....who's got a good one??  8)

Cheers, Brendan

Offline jimbo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 07:35:28 pm »
Brendan if you are after a pre 78 one rarity is you problem, no wr 's in 77 2061 prefix motor same as 78/79 ,1980 cr's are different ,in 78/79/ 80 frame differ in both cr and wr but are all good , basically the newer they are the higher they are  though height can be tailored  regards Jimbo ps. just built a 79 wr 250 for my brother and she is a little rocket that we will classic reg. through Veri for course

Offline neil

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 08:25:54 pm »
Brendan, you have missed the obvious choice. made in 1977 they come in red, white or yellow plastic kits, what ever colour you like.
have a good seat height, reasonable suspension, 400cc would be the pick with an upgrade to electronic ignition so you can start them.
local service agent, there are plenty of spares around? Neil.

Offline jimbo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 08:33:49 pm »
Didn't you have a Maico once before ? good toy though Neil, personally speaking a 79 gs 400 would fit the bill.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 10:23:52 pm »
Brendan, you have missed the obvious choice. made in 1977 they come in red, white or yellow plastic kits, what ever colour you like.
have a good seat height, reasonable suspension, 400cc would be the pick with an upgrade to electronic ignition so you can start them.
local service agent, there are plenty of spares around? Neil.

Yeah I've even considered one of them but availability of a good one I think would be limited, I'll see what pops up as I have no problem owning an exotic if its the only old bike I need to maintain. I hear a good one is only ever a phone call away  ;D ;)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 10:44:22 pm »
One bike is too big an ask
IT or KDX 200 for vinduros as they are the best all rounders
then choose your favorite pre 78 bike that you feel the most comfortable on
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 10:02:47 am »
Brendan - the suspension comment isn't quite right?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 11:04:29 am »
Brendan - the suspension comment isn't quite right?

Really? the 77 IT, PE,RM,CR,YZ have the same or more suspension travel as the Husky 390??

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 01:03:42 pm »
How about a 74 MT250 Rookie? Can be ridden in pre75 and pre78. Low seat height, good useable power and road registerable. I can offer you mine for good money. PM me if you are interested. CR250M top end, CR ignition, CR fork internals, YSS shocks, CR alloy tank, CR swing arm, CR seat, 76 CR airbox and carbie, CR side covers modified to fit like the factory would have done, Alloy wheels, NOS DG up pipe, Renthal bars and 77 IT yamaha lights front and back. Lights are easily removed for MX. Widened footpegs. One of a kind, totally rebuilt from the ground up, that is pretty easy to get parts for if you ever need them.

Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.