Author Topic: Which bike for ALL occasions??!!!  (Read 31102 times)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
Which bike for ALL occasions??!!!
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:33:19 am »
I'm having less and less time these days and purse strings are also tightening rapidly, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better off getting rid of the bikes I have a putting the funds into just one old bike that will do everything that I'll call on it for. Tough ask I know but thought I'd see what folks could suggest, the requirements are:

1) Must be pre 78 (or eligible) to race with the CSC here in Vic when I can
2) Must be Evo legal should I want to attend a Viper meet
3) I really don't want a 4t but i would considering it
4) and this ones the clincher, must be ADR compliant or have previous reg history so as can be used in Vic vinduros as they're becoming largely reg bike only events. Will only be club reg so doesn't need everything ADR perfect just a compliant model/frame will do

Soooooo, any suggestions or have i set an impossible task?? :-\

Cheers, Brendan
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:40:51 am by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Which bike for ALL occasions??!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:40:35 am »
1977 PE250 or IT250.

Tex

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:19:54 am »
Easy Bultaco Pursang / Frontera can race Pre 78 VCM, CSC and it has red plate rego for Vinduro's, trail riding and occasional run up the milk bar. Just change tank,rear guard, chuck on Preston Petty headlight and kickstand. 2 bikes in one! Works for me. Very lightweight and low ride height for old bloke with arthritis compared to swinging leg over IT or PE. J PS it has Mikuni and CDI which eliminates starting issues although it and I don't do well on Drakies dreaded cold starts at Vic vinduros. This may change now Drakie has aquired a Frontera as well! PPS another attraction is that it isn't a PE, IT or XR.

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:46:41 am »
77 390 auto
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:09:56 am »
Viper has a pre'78 class as well, but any pre '78 bike can ride in the evo class, or pre '85 & pre '90 for that matter if you want to. You need a Husky WR250 or 390. Both great engines although the 390 is an awesome, easy to ride engine in both MX & enduro. No crap that is not needed on Husky's either, unlike the orientals. Light & easy to clean after a mud ride.
K

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:32:03 am »
FWIW, bikes only got compliance plates from either January or July 1976.
Anything made before that date can be registered if it meets the RWC requirements.

------

I looked long and hard at this a few years ago. My criteria was similar but not identical. For me, the answer was an '84 Husky WR400 with a Honda disc brake front.
A KDX250 with a disc front would be my second choice.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:57 pm »
Honda 750cc K Series, Meets all your above requirements, apart from being your second choice of a four stroke.

The Ubiquitous 754  SOHC  engines used in VMX , Road racing , Speedway,Ice speedway, Flat trackers, Dirt track , Trials (yep !) Drag racing, Desert racing. Reliability trials, Enduro, Long distance Raids (Dakar style) Beach and sand sprinting  crikey who knows how many other forms of competition. ;) :)

PS Ya can ride the bugger on the road too..... :D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:11:30 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 12:28:35 pm »
Honda 750cc K Series, Meets all your above requirements, apart from being your second choice of a four stroke.

The Ubiquitous 754  SOHC  engines used in VMX , Road racing , Speedway,Ice speedway, Flat trackers, Dirt track , Trials (yep !) Drag racing, Desert racing. Reliability trials, Enduro, Long distance Raids (Dakar style) Beach and sand sprinting  crikey who knows how many other forms of competition. ;) :)

PS Ya can ride the bugger on the road too..... :D

Tim, obviously the chemicals are being dumped at the transfer station today. It seems the fumes must be getting to your head ;D ;D ;)
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 01:08:09 pm »

something that will do everything and must be pre-78 legal, MT250 or DT250 or Dt360 would be my first choices, easy for parts, easy to work on, and reliable on the road and no problem to rego.  I also like BigKs idea of a Husky....lot more money though, still you wouldnt need to modify like the Jap bikes.  4st?  No way, too much to go wrong!!!  AND any registrable 4st before '78 would need too much work to make a racer IMO, AND the 4st pick for me would be a Motosport 250XL....you do meet the nicest people on a Honda!

Kt

Simo63

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 01:47:29 pm »
1977 PE250 or IT250.

Tex

I think if you want a good pre 78, registrable two stroke then Tex is on the money here. Either of these bikes would do the job well although, having one myself, I would also seriously consider the IT400D as well (don't think they did a PE400B did they??).

If you want a eurobike then there is always the huskies and a bunch of others to consider .

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 02:01:09 pm »
Not keen on a 77 PE 250 due to them looking ugly as fluck! But is the 78 the same frame/engine/gearbox? If so I'm sure my local club won't get too stroppy about running with the pre78's. the 390 husky sounds ok too, I've only ever ridden a 82 wr430 and loooved it, if the 390 offers similar power delivery and gear ratios I could very much see myself on one

Offline enzo906

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 02:14:29 pm »
Husky Brakes are a bitch the Jap bikes are easier to fix etc. I dabbled a few times in the late 70's early 80's with Euro bikes and I always went back to the "heavier" Jap bikes as they were easier to live with and ride fast. Why not try and get a YZ 250D and see if you can register it? Or
IT 250 can have a lot of YZ stuff added and can be made to handle and go very fast. Also you can register easily ADR etc
There was a wr250 Husky in Just Bikes but I think it was a 76, I am hunting a IT250 myself so good luck

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 03:46:52 pm »
the husky's of that era won everything....without much work. the japs needed extensive modifications to compete.

they are simple and agricultural but they do exactly what they were designed for..allow the rider to get to the finish line as fast as possible with as much comfort as possible and as mechanically as simple as possible for quick repairs.

my money is on a 390 with updated ohlins and a Yamaha front wheel (brakes wernt their best point..functional but not as good as the japs )

even updating to a later twin leader could work

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 04:09:15 pm »
Not keen on a 77 PE 250 due to them looking ugly as fluck! But is the 78 the same frame/engine/gearbox? If so I'm sure my local club won't get too stroppy about running with the pre78's. the 390 husky sounds ok too, I've only ever ridden a 82 wr430 and loooved it, if the 390 offers similar power delivery and gear ratios I could very much see myself on one

430 is excellent in every way, although i doubt you'd get a start in pre'78! As for the 390, the steering is an aquired taste, the rest is excellent, the motor is a ripper even in stock form, was the 390 around in '77? I thought 78 on? 

Kt

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 05:45:47 pm »
I have the answer Brendan its behind my shed IT400D . not pretty but it fits the bill .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436