Author Topic: What the hell is happenning? Why are so many leaving the forum?  (Read 11106 times)

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
What the hell is happenning? Why are so many leaving the forum?
« on: February 28, 2014, 11:14:57 am »
I know I drift in & out of this forum but have found most people to be of good nature & informative.

It seems that a few have taken it upon themselves to be the overseers of what is right & wrong, whose opinion matters & whose doesn't. Which person knows their stuff & who are idiots. It seems these same people hate their opinions being challenged, hypocrisy at it's worse.

Consequently some people have had enough & left. (Their choice)

Some do it by posting a farewell but I know of others who have just signed off never to come back.

This is a shame. Why have some taken it upon themselves to be self appointed experts on everything?

People's opinions are just that, opinions. As such they can't be wrong or right but they are owned by the person who expressed it. Sure you may disagree and can voice your opinion but why denergrate the other person?

We're not talking about how to run a country or a religion for christ sake! (Pun intended) We are talking about building/restoring motorbikes. Riding or displaying them. (There's another that people are passionate about) So some need to chill out & stop using this forum as a way to make personal attacks. Especially when it is something as meaningless as the interpretation of a rule etc. Sure voice your opinion, ask someone else's & discuss at length but dont attack others for thier different opinion to yours. (This is only an example off the top of my head, not directed at any thread in particular)

I thought this forum was about good houmoured banter, imparting of knowledge (Be it accurate or not) & to express ideas & opinions without fear of being castrated, sorry meant ostracized.

So before this all ends in tears show a little common decency & respect to others. You know, how you expect to be treated.

"Do as you would have done"  (No I'm not religious, just a good saying, in my opinion)

Perko
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:09:49 pm by Viper666 »
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
Re: What the hell is happenning? Why are so many leaving the forum?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:10:11 pm »

By the way.

Just my opinion!
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline Lewis

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:44:03 pm »
well said!! I'm relatively new to the forum and a bit taken back as to what comes up occasionally.I can understand why folks are signing off.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:32:12 pm »
What happens on this forum is a walk in the park ;) I brought the daughter a horse three months back farrrrrk wait until you start hanging around horse people :o now they know it all  :P enough to pull your own teeth out.
bike guys are easy to deal with ;)

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 06:00:55 pm »

By the way.

Just my opinion!

+100 Viper,  I think in general its just "cranky old men" syndrome!  BUT, you can just about count the ones who want to repeatedly force their opinions down your throat on one hand, I just don't read their posts on most subjects now, makes it easier.  A typical example was a poor sod asking what oil ratio to run his 2st oil burner at, about a dozen pages later i'd imagine he was over the asking bit.

I think we all need to chill a bit, this forum should be our favourite place to hang, not just a bunch of blokes arguing.

Kt.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 06:46:34 pm »
 ;) still one of my favourite places to hang out its just like life I interact with the good ones try to uderstand legtimate complaints, calm down the passionate and ignore the flucking idiots  ??? most of the people on here are fanfluckingtastic  ;D dont let em get ya down

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 06:48:15 pm »
Ok I wasn't going to get into this but  ::) as you have asked Neil  ;D

I think a lot of it is that tolerance has become very reduced by the current crop of regulars . Hey that's life be it a forum or a pub new regulars move in and the old guard move on . I think that for whatever reason it has all become a bit serious on here and people take things a bit personally .

Around the time of national events an element of negativity creeps in ( or this year comes in in a supercharged D12 bully ) but that is a sign of a flawed system not necercererly  the messengers.

In the old days we used to argue the bejezzus out of things , the stouches between Nathan S and the the Late great Magoo were the stuff of legend such was the passion . Yet when they got together at CDs etc were were all just blokes who shared a love of old dirt bikes .

The multi personas of some and the shit fights of Ross Nimmo and Craig Taylor could have all been sorted over a beer had they met at CD . Who can forget Graeme (MX 250)  ? the man kept the funnies page alive and my ribs still hurt from his contributions . Doc an absolute wizard with Suzukis and who showed this Kiwi Pom  hospitality unrivalled anywhere in the top hotels in the world on a number of occasions ( Doc im still waiting to repay some of that hospitality )

Firko , Bernie , Dave Tanner , Bazza ( Mike Jolley ) who welcomed Vale and I into the Klub Kevlar fold at CD3 , DJ a brother who would literally give a limb to help a friend , Brad 090 , Tatey (Joan ) , Stewy (oldfart ) Dodgee , Tony T , AJ , and More recently Vandy , Ted , mainline , Johnny Kittle , Rusty , Trev (worms ) Alison and Steve , GMC , Graeme M ,Neil and Steve Sweeny and so many many more really lovely passionate people I have been privileged to meet through this forum .

So many more who I have not met in person yet consider friends  :)

I suppose its evolution , I make no secret that I despise the modern PC world ( that's why I live my sport in the past through VMX ) but you cant stop what some would call progress .

I attended my first vintage meet in Belgium in 1991 and I am still waiting to meet a bad bugger  ;)

Away from keyboards I believe that 80 % + 0f forum regulars past and present would enjoy a beer , Bourbon , Spliff or whatever their particular poison is  around a campfire at an event surrounded by old bikes and the passion that we all share  :)   
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 07:00:43 pm »
What happens on this forum is a walk in the park ;) I brought the daughter a horse three months back farrrrrk wait until you start hanging around horse people :o now they know it all  :P enough to pull your own teeth out.
bike guys are easy to deal with ;)
I agree , i too have girls with horses and those women bring a new meaning to the word VIPER
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 07:08:49 pm »
I had a stouch with someone on the forum a while back, i cannot remember who, but i do remember the subject. While i took a bit of a beating over what i said. I went off and mixed up some sand and cement to drink. I then returned to the forum to see that a few old mates had defended me to an extent. I apologised for hitting the nerve.  All over. No probs.
My point is people have to be tolerant and realise that this forum is here to help.... and i guess entertain
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:39:41 pm »
It's part of the way these things work.
When people first discover forums like these, there's lots of positivity and enthusiasm. Then the novelty wears off, and irritations become unbearable.

On top of that, everyone has about five years of burning passion to give to any sport - ten years tops. Even if you stay involved for longer (and most do), the fire is reduced.
For a lot of the "OzVMX originals" that used-by date has been and gone - and trying to maintain the enthusiasm is simply flogging a dead horse.
Push yourself beyond that point, and it is very easy to become bitter and resentful of everything.

The issues and personalities are different, but I've seen the same on the rally forum too.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 09:50:19 pm »
overly ANALlytic springs to mind  ;), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 10:38:10 pm »
The question was asked...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 10:57:47 pm »
  A typical example was a poor sod asking what oil ratio to run his 2st oil burner at, about a dozen pages later i'd imagine he was over the asking bit.

Seen the exact same question asked on every 2T forum in existence and a dozen pages is about average. No big drama. If the question gets answered why worry where the conversation meanders?

If threads don't interest you don't read them. It's not a matter of life and death, it's old dirt bikes it's much more important than that  ;) 
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 10:59:04 pm »
Man, I ran the first open meeting in 1966 at Narrogin WA. Both the the track and me are still going strong.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 11:53:48 pm »
Colin you must be getting old
Mine was The Foster Park Grand National in 1978 at 19yo