Author Topic: What the hell is happenning? Why are so many leaving the forum?  (Read 11107 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell is happenning? Why are so many leaving the forum?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 12:28:03 am »
Mine was The Foster Park Grand National in 1978 at 19yo
Man, I ran the first open meeting in 1966 at Narrogin WA. Both the the track and me are still going strong.

Ours was .....Capricorn - Newman Two Day Desert Race 1987..
Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 11:32:44 am »
For a lot of the "OzVMX originals" that used-by date has been and gone - and trying to maintain the enthusiasm is simply flogging a dead horse.
Push yourself beyond that point, and it is very easy to become bitter and resentful of everything.
If Nathan's referring to forum participation he's right, most of the forum originals have indeed moved  on.  If he's referring to old fart participation in our sport at both competitive and organisational levels, he's as wrong as he's ever been. The 2013 Classic Nats was chock full of happy smiling and enthusiastic old farts with nary a scent of bitterness or resentment. I could go on here and vent my opinions on the questions raised in the forum title but won't say any more for fear of the usual anarchists turning my thoughts into something alien to what I actually write and turning yet another well intentioned thread into a finger pointing slagfest. Now that I've finally got my head around facebook I can now see where most of the forum good guys have gone. I'll still contribute occasional posts but my days of multi layered postings are now gone, but not for the reasons Nathan reckons. I don't think the current forum clientele is very much interested in the stuff I find vital and visa versa, it's that simple............

“There comes a day in life, when you have said all that you ever wanted to say to someone. But that someone is still waiting. Waiting for words to come out. And that’s when you know there is nothing much left. It is time to say goodbye.”
 Anushka Bhartiya   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:04:16 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 12:23:03 pm »
I enjoy learning about the older bikes from yourself and others Firko. I might not have any desire to race anything older than pre70, but I do enjoy looking at them and seeing what makes them tick. Afterall, MX all started from scramblers and the history of them should live on into the future.
Sure, some threads can get a bit heated on here, but it's usually the same protagonists trying to force their opinion (and that's all it is) onto others. And most of the heat comes around whenever there is a discussion over rules and proposed changes. Why it denigrates into personal attacks is beyond me but I guess that's just the way some people roll when they're on the net.
I've been sucked into the negative vortex myself, and it will never happen again. When I got the full story from others, it turned out I was a bit harsh with my words so I retracted my statement.
On the positive side, at least some forum members took the time to inform me of the whole story. For that, I am thankful.
There are heaps of positive threads on this forum, whether its jokes, cars, random stupidity or bikes. And there is a lot of helpful information to be found. If a person doesn't know about about a certain "thingamajig" and can't find out through a thread search, all they have to do is ask and someone will be able to help.
It's a shame that some of the former members have chosen to leave because they have taken their knowledge with them. I for one am far from knowing everything. What I do know about, I am happy to share. But if I don't know about "it", I will shut up and listen (read) until I do know at least the basics.
It's only an arrogant person, young or older, who thinks they have nothing more to learn.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 01:24:35 pm »
I hate to bring this up while everyone is being all lovey dovey but at least one of the people who has signed off didn't mind taking to those who didn't agree with him and on at least one occasion he derided someone less able than him.
Good riddance I say.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 03:00:29 pm »
If Nathan's referring to forum participation he's right, most of the forum originals have indeed moved  on.

That bit was specifically about the forum - it's why I specificed "OzVMX originals", rather than "VMX old hands" or similar.

No matter what the past-time, everyone's flame burns a little less brightly after time. People often stay happily involved for much longer, and everyone's enthusiasm ebbs and flows over time, but the vast majority of punters will find that their enthusiasm has waned noticably after ~5 years.
You often see people re-invent themselves when this happens to them - racers become organisers, MXers become DTers or Vinduroists, they shift eras,  they go race moderns, etc etc.

For the long term members of these forums, their five year point for the forums came more or less simultanously - so we had a fairly large number of people saying "yeah, I'm not enjoying this so much anymore" and dropping out, within a short period of time. This is apart from any specific problems that people had, of course.

Just realised that this fits with the idea of The Seven Year Itch.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:02:14 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

oldfart

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 04:27:14 pm »
Marriage .... that's a whole new ball game  Nathan  ;D

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 06:09:20 pm »
I am one of those that have cut back , no I have not had a barny with anyone or swopped heated words , I felt that the threads had moved on from where I was interested . I still come on site but not every day , If some one asks a question that I know the answer I'll post but that's all . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 06:20:58 pm »
Much rather a forum be heated and thrashing out points than some +1/what he said fest. Boring this place isn't there is always something interesting to read.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 06:40:58 pm »
Thanks TBM I was  thinking of something relevant to type (OK that might surprise some peoples ;)) but you nailed it for me.
"There are heaps of positive threads on this forum, whether its jokes, cars, random stupidity or bikes."
Cheers buggers Tim754.

PS. have all of  you ever read that little tag on the bottom of my posts?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:14:36 am by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 08:28:15 am »
You have to keep in mind that a lot of people on this forum are racers or ex racers. Therefore their competative nature forces them to want to win. Wether it's a race or a forum argument. So you could consider some of the heated arguments as bar banging for first place.

As for personal insults on forums, well that's just poor form.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 09:27:00 am »
Thanks TBM I was  thinking of something relevant to type (OK that might surprise some peoples ;)) but you nailed it for me.
"There are heaps of positive threads on this forum, whether its jokes, cars, random stupidity or bikes."
Cheers buggers Tim754.

PS. have you ever read that little tag on the bottom of my posts?

Yes Tim, I have read your tag.....makes a whole lotta sense to me  ;D
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 10:29:36 am »

Much rather a forum be heated and thrashing out points than some +1/what he said fest. Boring this place isn't there is always something interesting to read.

As for personal insults on forums, well that's just poor form.

My point exactly.

I love nothing better than a good argument but personal attacks are not on.
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 04:44:00 pm »
I've backed away from the forum, not as a vociferous post whore but someone who lived and breathed the sport and who enjoyed the vibe here. I now live so far away from ANY vintage racing that a round trip to compete is a 4 000 km saga.
The forum is merely a microcosm of what's going on "out there". It's fine to have a point of view and share it but it's just that - a point of view, YOURS. You're entitled to it but don't try to enforce it.
Good natured ribbing I'll take every day but when it gets downright dirty and personal, it's time for the attacker to have a reality check.
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 07:53:42 pm »
Come back Jai one of the bullies has left and that young fella who got his CZ frame stolen come back the thief has left as well.

Am I making a personal attack , or is stating the truth embarrassing ? ::)

Dave Tanner I will miss.
A guy who puts his effort and time into a sport is a rarity.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

oldfart

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 08:51:18 pm »
Come back Jai........ Ji Gantor  aka Robert  is nice all round bloke.