Author Topic: Do You Moto 100?  (Read 52317 times)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Moto 100?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 09:23:09 am »
thats a real nice seat on the UKI...
isn't that near Nimbin?
"flat bickie"

Quicksilver

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 09:30:40 am »
thats a real nice seat on the UKI...
isn't that near Nimbin?

Seat base is excellent, Not a hint of rust. Rats stuffed the foam.........Nimbin?. Nope. Ive had that old thing for 18 months or more. As far as I know its never been anywhere near Nimbin

firko

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 01:04:44 pm »
The three Honchos that are going together to make two, maybe even three Fly class racers. The partial bike is in surprisingly good condition and will be the basis for racer#1 using the Torque Pipe, modified disc, ported barrel and race kit head I've picked up. The green bike may become a parts donor for racer#1. It has a brand new rebuilt stock engine so it may still become a racer. The orange bike is nearly a goer that only needs an air box,a tidy up and some tuning. My mate Bernie is taking control of that project. I swapped a complete TC100 and TC90 parts hulk with Nathan for Racer#1 and the orange bike. I bought the green bike on eBay a couple of years ago and it's been sitting waiting for a reason to be restored. Another KK member is doing a Honcho and Jonsey already has a nice little SL125 that he raced in the early days of VMX. It's got a YZC tank and seat which helps it look like a mini HL. This has renewed my will to race again. By next year I should make the 100kg limit and I'll be itching to have a go. Probably only dirt track though at this stage.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 01:42:21 pm »
Friends and I back around 2002 wanted to have a meeting that suited useless old  fat ,(skinny too) lazy farts like us. Where even the best fittest racers would be " hamstrung" back to the pack, and tracks that did not have poxy unrideable shit. Results of the brain storm !!!  see above ,yes not allowing very hotted up, very modified bikes or factory racers like Hodaka Super Rats, YZ80Bs etc   :D.....and of course we included as the other riding machines of the day pre75/68 heavyweight sidecars... The mix seemed to please all.... Called it light spit and heavy shit races. ;) Cheers Tim
We did discuss that stuff about "claiming" and totally rejected it for the reason Firko stated above, even a bucket of crap is most likely dear to somebodies heart and think of this a pair of very used plastic side covers from an SL100/125 bring way above $250 on ebay! so how do you set a price.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:58:36 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 01:57:26 pm »
 TS90...hmmmm..a TS100 would be good, I have the roller just need an engine..hmmmm..I need an engine guys!! anyone have a ts100 engine kicking around holding a shed door open they don't need or would like to swap for a brand new brick? :P searchin' egay for some sneaky Yoshi or Powroll SL100 gear at the mo but one could easilly abandon this plan of attack for a hotty Honcho ;)

I think a fair amendment to the rules is to allow up to 125cc for pre'65 dungers. That way I can ride my 120cc super B1oop!  :D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:07:12 pm by Doc »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 02:56:10 pm »
I see most photos to date are dungers...
I think I've read the VMX concept started with dungers too? At least not the Blingsters to which we're now accustomed.

So I've looked into my crystal ball for a glimpse of our 'Flies' future... Baaa-ling!!! 
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

firko

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 03:37:10 pm »
You actually make a good point Wombat. While the bikes will just about all start as unloved dungers, I'd encourage getting the bikes into as pretty a shape as affordable. I'm going to make one of my little 90s into an RH clone and Bernies will be a replica of the kitted green Honcho he started on back in 1970. Both bikes will be as cherry as a KK bike deserves to be. Here's a couple of excerts from a piece on prepping Honchos from a Pop Cycle "Hot Up Ideas" from 1970 or '71. Don't those little Suzukis look good in race trim?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:10:29 pm by firko »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 04:45:07 pm »
I was a little disapointed when a bloke at CD5 told one of us that Klub Kevlar has lost touch with the real vintage world because the bikes we had at CD5 were all flash and bling and out of the reach of the average punter. Perhaps some were, but all of us also have low buck bikes that we love equally as much as the bling stuff.

Just a comment having read back over this piece...

I was amazed at some of the bikes in the KKK tent, I think we all were.
There was some serious iron I'd never seen before and I've no doubt they cost a motza with parts made of unobtainium...
But it could be argued some of the 'ordinary' VMX bikes are also creeping beyond the reach of the 'average punter'.
Look at the e-bay prices for XR75s; check out some of the Maico asking prices.
The Jap bikes - the mainstay of the sport - are slowly but surely edging higher.

The KKK bikes are a real part of MX history. There's nothing there from the labs of NASA.
They're real and RARE pieces of MX history; like the LITO soon to appear on the cover of the new VMX Magazine.
At CD5 some remained in the tent and some were doing laps in the mud like the rest of us.
Better that than parked in a Museum somewhere (not that there's anything wrong with Museums...).

Unique pieces are hard to come by and that's what sets them apart, not because they're 'flash and bling'. 
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Quicksilver

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 05:25:12 pm »

[/quote]

The KKK tent,

[/quote]

KKK? Might be good idea to use another set of letters. .. Ku Klux Klan.  ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 05:33:52 pm »
F$%king great idea!

Count me in. Anyone got an LT2 engine that they want to part with? Or a DT100? Or an XL125? (Yeah, I know about the ones on Ebay, but have no money ATM...)

Ironically, a big part of the reason why I parted with both the TS90 (now Firko's) and the SL100 (now Doc's) is because they were a bit useless to me - I'd have loved to have kept either/both of them, but they weren't going to be much chop as race bikes, I lacked the time and inclination to go down the resto path, and I had no use for them as ride-bikes.

Dennis, Noel and I had talked of having an SL100/125 challenge at a HEAVEN event, but Noel and I both sold our bikes.

F$%king great idea. :)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 05:38:05 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Quicksilver

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 06:06:48 pm »
Nathan. I have both a DT100 and XL125 engines.  ;)

Phil

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 07:12:07 pm »
I'm stoked. This'll be more fun than a barrell of blowflies. ;D I need a 100 barrell for my brothers DT125 that he's going to donate to me when I tell him. I'll shine the little booger up to the hilt to counter those schmick TS90s that'll be coming out of bling HQ soon. It would be great if we could get this up and running for next year so we've got 6 months to get our dungers built. The Crawford River Classic and Nepean Charity 2 day meet are pefect for the first couple of races for the 100s.

Doc

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 07:43:01 pm »
geez Wombat, you could warn a guy first before posting pictures of blue MC1-A 90 Kawasaki's!  :o had one identical! greeeeeat motor in the little suckers but that front turns under before you even think about turning! even worse than MX80's! :o I'd reckon the little kawa's 90'/100's could give it to the TS90's and I also know the HT1 Yam's can go pretty well too. I've lived these dungers all my life  :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 07:45:37 pm by Doc »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 09:56:07 pm »
Phil, the 100s also have a shorter stroke, compared to the 125s - hence my need for a complete LT2 or DT100 engine.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Phil

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 10:24:27 pm »
Bugger. I think a TS100 or 90 might be the ticket then. I'd love to find a cheap Hodaka Rat. They're awesome little bikes but they've got a cult followijng so getting a cheapy won't happen. Doc, are TM100 parts interchangable with TS100?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:02:18 pm by Old Phil »