Author Topic: need some reviews on 4x4 duel cab utes  (Read 16478 times)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: need some reviews on 4x4 duel cab utes
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 04:36:11 pm »
looking at a spanish v6 petrol to start with still might take a td for a spin.and yes i do all the fueling for all our cars
jim

If it’s got a little red diamond in the number plate turn around & runaway. If it hasn't, check the vehicle out to see if it did have a little red diamond on the number plate at some point in time, then turn around & run even faster. Typical costs to rectify a VQ40 that has suffered particle reversion from a LPG related Cat-Convertor failure is $13K to $15K. Another tell-tale is to see if the pre/post O2 sensors are fitted and operational and not bypassed with a resistance shunt because the honeycomb has been stripped from the Cat-Convertor shell. Remember that the VQ40 hasn’t been on dealer’s showroom floors for better the 24 to 30 months, about the time the V6 diesel went on sale. If you think it’s all scare mongering, ring any reputable LPG installer and ask what it costs to fit LPG to a VQ40 Navara or Pathfinder, you’ll get a pretty short answer!
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 05:33:23 pm »
Don't let this thread deter anybody from buying a diesel.

Not trying to deter anyone from buying a diesel .
 Some great performing new models for sure   
A lot of these new common rail diesels do not handle poor quality/ wrong fill/ contaminated fuel  .
I have  repaired a few fuel contaminated common rail diesels  & most were expensive to fix.
  Correct ,clean fuel for new gen common rail systems is esp  important is all I am saying.

I bet  your  old 01 Isuzu  NKR was not a common rail  Ted.

Regards,
                  Steve

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:41:01 pm by b490 »

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 05:51:32 pm »
Is my 08 Iveco?
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 06:15:13 pm »
You wearing long pants yet Jimbo? ;D ;)

maxvmx

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 06:27:10 pm »
I bought a FG falcon ute new a few years ago and shortly after was given a new Hilux 4x2 petrol SR model for work. The Falcon ute only has 20,000 km's and isn't used that much, the Hilux just had its 60,000 km service last week. The difference between the Ford and Toyota is really noticeable in that even after doing 3 times the mileage of the Falcon the Hilux still feels new. I think that Hilux's are a wonderful ute, nice to drive and will prove to be reliable, fuel consumption is reasonable as well

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 06:27:55 pm »
Your Italian Vehicle Engineering Company light truck would be common rail Teddyboy.....it would have been more luck than anything.....Any late model turbo diesel that's done more than a 100k's is a accident waiting to happen....if you buy new, get the extended warranty and when it's close to running out....sell it.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 06:36:10 pm »
So I should have sold it 287,000 klms ago 8)

You stick to what you know. Building slow MX bikes.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:38:18 pm by Ted »

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 07:15:45 pm »
Your Italian Vehicle Engineering Company light truck would be common rail Teddyboy

The big difference between the Iveco (as an example) and the current crop of Japanese based utes is that Iveco plan for operators to use crap fuel and put filtrations systems in place to better manage it based on the anticipated usage of the vehicle and the buyer profile, have a look at the filtration system on your Iveco and you'll understand. The other thing to consider is that the Japanese utes are required to meet differing euro emission standards than a full blown commercial vehicle (for the time) and as such the fuel systems aren't as exacting and will tolerate a little more.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 07:31:27 pm »
Right there. Even has a pollen filter for the A/C.

It's a filterthon ;D

40,000 klm service intervals.......love it ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:33:12 pm by Ted »

Offline The Stroker

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 08:37:21 pm »
Ive had 3 Triton utes over the last 10 years, lease them for work, I do about 50,000 k a year, with about 200kg of gear in the  back of a tray back. I also have towed the infamous QVMX trailer about 2,200 kg, and my own van , about 2000 kg , for a lot of klm. I have also put 3 bikes in the back and towed boats up to Fraser is.
Ive had two diesels and a v 6 petrol. The diesels were good and strong but wouldn't like to keep them after the warrenty runs out for the many reasons mentioned above.
The current GLXR V6 hauls ass and is great to drive but a little heavy on the juice.
In summary, it depends on were your gunna drive it, diesels are better than petrol on the beach, apart from that petrol is the go.

Offline 35elsinore

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 10:21:21 pm »
Working in the mining industry you see cars misused every day, there seems to be no doubt the Toyotas are the last ones to survive. Filling up a diesel vehicle can be a bad experience with diesel all over the gun so I can understand why to some people, that's not an option.

Ted 40,000km on the same oil just doesn't make sense, it would be interesting to see the oil when changed. It would be like two seasons on the RM with the same oil.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 07:18:26 am »
That's the reason I bought Iveco.

I got sick and tired taking my Isuzu back to the dealer every 5,000 for a scheduled service at a cost of $650 minimum

The Iveco is $850 approx every 40,000. That's a saving of just under $4,500

They must be doing something right. Over 200,000 klms and no leaks, no oil usage, no problems and not one engine, gearbox, diff issue whatsoever.

It is chalk and cheese between Iveco and all other light trucks on the market. And get this, they are also cheaper to buy and standard body lengths are longer.

Once you've driven one of these you will never drive another cab over.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 08:56:39 am »
To be honest [I don't want Teddyboy the Manly homo supporter] to get to big a head, I was looking at replacing my Transit van last year and after a lot of head scratching I came up with the Iveco, 2 reasons....they are bigger on the inside [van where talking] and for some unheard of reason [they are Italian remember] they seem to be quite reliable. Parts are dear and I don't go along with the 40k service intervals [a Euro thing....they do this because they don't want the old waste oil to get rid of and it is "cheaper" to own as a company vehicle......I would not leave oil in one for more than 20k's long running and short running 15k's].  All the other big vans have issues....some worse than others [and some of those same vehicles have no issues even after 350k's but that's not common]. We service occasionally Morgan and Wackers [Team Moto from 2 years ago] huge VW van....it's done just over 200k's, in that time [all under warranty even after it ran out], 1 x brand new 6 speed gearbox [8k], 2 x twin turbo set up [$9k x 2] 1 x 5 injectors [7.5k], that was just the majors and it has basically had 2 drivers all it's life. They are basically the Mercedes Sprinter with VW running gear. I have heard of similar stories with the Mercedes and Transit jumbo's, the Hiace is just a pig to drive and not that reliable.....most couriers are dumping them before 200k's are up as they start to fail, the Fiat and Renault have lot's of issues as well [Renault parts are cheap though....8k for a complete brand new motor]h. Give me one of those Yankie box vans....V8 turbo diesel [they last]....plenty of room to sleep and put the scooters in.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2014, 10:14:10 am »
40k oil changes are possible with no damage, just depends on how good the filtration is and how good the actual oil is that is put in it and how much wear you are will to accept.
My Dad had a Datsun 720 twin cab in 1980, I inherited it in 1988 with 100k on it and NEVER having had an oil change!  He did of course top it up every time the light flickered on and off......I pulled the head off and bore was good, oh and he topped it up with the same oil we put in our Cessna fleet at the time, so good oil.
There are long haul trucks in the U.S. that are running their oil for 100k plus but they have more than one oil filter and those filters are changed a lot during the oils life and the oil (Mobil in the ones I know of) once removed is tested to assess the particles AND it costs about $50 a litre.
The other side of the coin with these "recommended" high oil mileages is that its going to be out of warranty and you will be paying for the repair or the new truck when it finally dies........
I'd be sticking to anything made in Thailand these days and hopefully a petrol. You also have to consider when and where you will want parts and servicing and what sort of back up the importer into Aus will give you.  Ring around some lpg fitters and see what sort of problems they see with particular trucks you are looking at, you probably wont have a lot of choice if you want petrol and want lpg for economy, lpg for the latest type kits is $4000 plus to supply and fit.......or a couple problems with your diesel and you have spent 10 grand easily, dirty fuel if NOT covered by any sort of warranty and is very hard to recover from a fuel station, its usually takes a while buying cheap diesel from the little sites before problems start to come up. Petrol might not be as cheap to run kilometer for kilometer but is a safer choice IMO.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2014, 10:49:17 am »
I ran both an Iveco 45C13 cab chassis with a pantech type body on it and a Mercedes sprinter 308CDI Van when I had my bike transport business. I regularly did around 6000K's every run, always towing a trailer. Both were great on fuel and very reliable. The Iveco carried 7 bikes in the back and the trailer 6 bikes. I was full most of the time. The Sprinter van carried 3 bikes easily in the back (sometimes squeezed in 4 when the bikes were MXers) and also towed the trailer easily. Both would sit on the speed limit all day long and where driven hard up hill. Hey, speed equals time, time equaled money! I had to keep an eye on speed in the Iveco as it would get away on me. Great little truck. I did my own services and changed the oil after 10K, oil and filters every second change. Aftermarket filters are available for both makes and a heap cheaper than OEM. The Iveco ate brake pads. Around 40K's was all I could get from a set of pads but it carried serious weight everywhere. The Sprinter let me down once when a glow plug came loose in the middle of the night. Fixed in the morning and away I went. And I did drop a fan belt once as well.
End of the day, I sold both vehicles when I stopped trading. The Sprinter was sold to someone I know, had 450K's and is still going strong to this day. The Iveco had 380K's and was still going as new. It now carries an ultra light air craft around.
Moral to the story....Oil is cheap compared to engine failures so there is no way I would do 40K service intervals, even though the manual says to. I used Aussie made Nulon diesel in both vehicles and it came out reasonably clean after 10K's of hard driving.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.