Author Topic: need some reviews on 4x4 duel cab utes  (Read 16479 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: need some reviews on 4x4 duel cab utes
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 07:46:32 pm »
I'll stick with Iveco. 40,000 klms scheduled servicing. 3 ltr intercooled turbo diesel 6 speed manual Weighs 2.6 ton unladen and gets 9/100

Seriously thinking about getting their new 4x4 Dual Cab. Stands 2.8 mtrs high and has two Isringhausen suspension seats up front and four seats in the back. These things make normal dual cabs look like matchbox cars, and not for much more money either.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 08:05:42 pm »
That's what I have with a tray, agree with your fuel,mines maxes out at 11 L/100 around the city on a hot day with the air cond.
They are fitted with a RENAULT V6 turbo diesel which is mounted in the vee, the 7 speed auto does not like to get into gear till around 100 kicks, and go like the proverbial off a shovel!!

I've been holding back from saying it but they are like all my Bully's, made in Spain of course, check my list. I know I've heard all the Bultaco jokes thanks.
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 09:18:22 pm »
If that Iveco motor was in a normal size dual cab the Japs would not sell one vehicle.

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 09:24:47 pm »
Nissan D40 2.5. 
Best ute I have ever had.
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 09:33:14 pm »
Just traded in my 2011 sr5 hilux twin cab ute. Petrol motor is a little thirsty but was totally reliable, cruised well and reasonably quiet. Generally do 5-6 trips Brisbane/Melbourne trips per year. Only regret I had was standard ute back and hard tonneau cover. Good size esky won't let the lid close . Ensure you get a tray back, preferably steel as weight helps with traction.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 09:43:08 pm »
I drove a 210 /11 ranger dual cab diesel for a while towing up to 2.5 ton of dirt in a tandem trailer. really impressive c/w my 97 rodeo.

I bought a BT 50 auto 211 space cab diesel. nice ute, big tray, the space cab is neat for a couple of dogs or the 22 y/o daughter who has suddenly moved back in!

unhappy with the fuel eco, cant get better than 12+ l/100 while most rangers and bt's run around the 8 - 10. seeing 400 - 450 kms per 55 litre fill.

overall I would suggest you find a 210 or 11 ranger as ol mate got one and its a ripper. manual is my suggestion.

avoid v6 petrols as they suck fuel 12 - 18 l/100 depending on conditions although they can be bloody cheap as owners get sick of forking out 100 bucks twice a week!

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 11:37:34 pm »
ALL are Thailand built and good quality. A typical diesel hi lux repair for shit fuel is around 12 grand at a dealer and they are doing them regularly. A Nissan diesel fuel pump for instance,depending on model is 3500-6500 aud, all have alloy bodies and cant really be rebuilt to good standard.

Not all Navara's are Thai built. Anything with a 3.0lt V6 diesel or 4.0lt V6 petrol is built in Barcelona, Spain and any dual cab that is an STX regardless of engine is built in the same plant, everything else is built in Thailand. Easy to pick, Barcelona VIN's start with VSK and anything built in Thailand has a VIN that starts with MNT.

Regardless of the manufacturer of the vehicle, (Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi) pretty much all the 4 cylinders run a Denso common rail fuel system, some of the lower volume manufactures run Bosch so the cost to repair a contaminated fuel system is the same across all brands and will typically cost you a set of injectors (4x$1000) a high pressure fuel pump ($2500) sacrificial components to replace the injectors and pump ($1000) labour to drop out the tank, clean and flush along with the labor for the fuel system parts ($1200) so you'd be looking at $8k to $9k.

My advice.
Never store any qty of diesel to use at a later time.
Only buy diesel from factory owned reputable fuel suppliers. Ie BP, Shell & Caltex. It's not uncommon for private independents to splash blend biodiesel and kerosene on site.
Resist putting volumes of Alpine blend fuels into your tank.
Never, ever use blended or bio diesel.
Fit a secondary quality filter/sedimentor with a clear bowl that you can visually inspect.
Steer well clear of fuel additives (there nothing more than snake oil)
Do your best to never run them out of fuel. If you do follow the manufactures recommendations to the letter on how to prime the system.
If the engine power is not enough for your purpose, upgrade to a vehicle/engine combination that will do the job you want. Do not chip them up, increase the boost, etc you will pay big time later down the track.
If you accidentally fill with a small volume of ULP, say 10lt's before you realise what you've done, do not start the engine. Push it out the way and have it taken somewhere where the tank can be fully drained and refill to the brim with fresh diesel. Whilst the vehicle may start and run with 5-10 lt's of diesel, it "will" fail fuel components some time in the near future due to the dramatically decreased lubriscosity level of the fuel.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:41:18 pm by BAHNZY »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 12:10:27 am »
 Excellent advice from Bahnzy.
  I used to work  on quite a few common rail diesels in my time as a mechanic   .
They (generally) do not tolerate contaminated / poor quality fuel & can be expensive to repair, in most instances, if  bad fuel is ingested .

Regards ,
                    Steve

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:36:56 am by b490 »

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 08:12:28 am »
Mobil's (My old brother in law) daughter topped her veedub diesel up wit hULP and headed on her merry way...$1600 bucks later all was well... >:( the petrol eats and swells all the rubber bits apparently

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 10:57:06 am »
diesel is out wife wont have one
.now that changes everything

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 11:30:54 am »
 Some good advice on here from those in the trade.

All I can add after being retired from the trade ten years is with regard to Nissan commercials
panchoand cars is that they are top quality but similar to Honda stuff better not to own after about five years. Parts are expensive and like Honda hard to find.
 Typical jap attitude Don't fix it, buy new!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 02:08:22 pm »
Don't let this thread deter anybody from buying a diesel.

I once put 75 ltrs of Premium ULP in my 2001 Isuzu NKR. Drove off all was good. After a klm or so it starts running real rough. Putting it down to out of fuel, new fuel will pump through soon. After 5 klms it's still running rough. Pull over on M4 and smell ULP in tank. Ring Isuzu and tell them what I've done. He says " drain it out and put diesel in and to be honest it wouldn't have hurt it a bit." He was right. 230,000 klms later not one motor issue at all. Probably ran it out of fuel half a dozen times.
Once again no problems.

The Iveco I have now has run out of fuel three or four times. No problem.

The money you will save on fuel will far outweigh the initial purchase price. Especially towing.

I've been driving diesel 2 tonne trucks and 4WD since 1982 with not one engine, oil or fuel problem.

You couldn't give me a petrol ute or truck.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 02:36:20 pm »
Excellent advice from Bahnzy.
  I used to work  on quite a few common rail diesels in my time as a mechanic   .
They (generally) do not tolerate contaminated / poor quality fuel & can be expensive to repair, in most instances, if  bad fuel is ingested .
   Regards ,
    Steve               

Yep, Bahnzy is the man all right, just read his post, its exactly right, the only other thing i would avoid is anything with a particulate filter, expensive as hell from what i've seen. Also, mid 2000s Navara with td 4 cyl, pump is $5600 off Nissan according to a friend who just bought one, he decided to go with a Denso agent reco unit for just on 3g.....petrol pumps are not cheap either but nothing like that.
Ted's right too, if you must have diesel the Iveco or the Isuzu seem ok, the Isuzu would be my pick if i HAD to have one and its a bit of a slug compared to the others. GO PETROL, you'll save on servicing, initial buy price, the dirty wifes shoes at the diesel bowser.  Just had a ride in the SPANISH BUILT v6 turbo Nissan, i never would have thought a diesel ute could get along like that!  FAST for a diesel!!!

Kt.

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 02:55:05 pm »
diesel is out wife wont have one
.now that changes everything

Easy solution, change wife's. It always seems to be my job to take my wife's car up to the servo anyway.
All this talk about fuel pumps I think I might be heading for an expensive surprise, been adding up and I think we are up to about ten diesels we have had with no dramas.

As far as the STZ 550 Navaras, I have had mates in mine who v8 are petrol heads comment about the acceleration, geeesus !!! from what I heard them say. Have seen a You Tube clip of one in Germany doing 192 on the Autobahn.

I suppose another alternative ute would be the throw away CHERRY, or FOTON, TATA and last but not least the Indian MAHINDRA, no thanks , not for me though.
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 03:45:40 pm »
looking at a spanish v6 petrol to start with still might take a td for a spin.and yes i do all the fueling for all our cars
jim