Author Topic: Tips on how to reduce the racket your bike makes  (Read 10315 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on how to reduce the racket your bike makes
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 04:32:14 pm »
Tip of the day.
Mnaufacture or purchase a suitable silencer.
To easy

Time to move on now

Um what if that doesnt help husky61,   try being a little more creative, this post is about getting a number lower than a cheap can fix.   You actually need to think a bit more than that.  ::)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:33:48 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 04:43:53 pm »
Shoeys 100% right Freaky. Move on. It's not rocket science to get your bikes under 96db. The first step is buying or making a decent muffler and the next step is fitting it to the bike. Da Da....Problem solved. Next problem please?

husky61

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 04:54:17 pm »
Second and creative tip of the day.

Manufacture or purchase a suitable silencer.

Time to move on now

Rockets , Rockets are easy , silencers are even easier.

Its one option or the other , a little time / development to make your own or a little money to purchase one. Too easy

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 05:05:02 pm »
YOur both really big on thinking i see.  ::)

Its a pity DaveT went to all this effort to make this thread up to come up with some more creative thinking.

great...... top effort   ::)

IF you cant be constructive stop being distructive.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:49:01 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

husky61

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 05:13:54 pm »
Wanker

firko

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 05:17:22 pm »
For fork sake Freaky, move on, we all have.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 05:29:07 pm »
Wanker
For fork sake Freaky, move on, we all have.

Great another top effort from you 2 morons. 

Show sum respect for Dave who moved this thread here to get some fresh imput,  iTs a constructive thread aimed at looking for new options as you 2 brain surgeons are out of new options please go to another thread, perhaps the old Db' thread where shit like this and lame " change you muffler posts' where plentiful.

We all did move on and came over here for a chat, but for some reason you Losers keep following us.    and Gee how nice of you to decide when our threads can start and finish.

Go away FFS   ::)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 09:49:36 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

666 SOS

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 06:17:40 pm »
I for one thought this thread was to share ideas on how to Quieten our bikes down not how to carry on about who writes what !

anyone that has ideas on silencers that save us a bob or two great, pictures even better cheers !!!

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 06:31:23 pm »
My XT runs a left side pipe like an HL system or GMC pipe. There is a small muffler in the head pipe beside the cylinder but the tail pipe is larger in size than the head pipe and lined with a piece of perforated pipe.
This makes a big difference to just running a straight tail pipe.

This idea came from where I served my apprenticeship, they made tube and exhaust systems. As a trial they made some tube which was a perforated tube enclosed in a sound deadener (about 1-2mm thick and probably asbestos) with a normal tube over that. An exhaust system was made and fitted to a company car, this system had no mufflers or resonator and certainly didn't need any.
Dyno runs proved no difference in power but for various reasons it never went any further.

I've just read this post and was finding a few ideas only to find it's deteriorated into a slanging match..pity

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Rosco400

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 07:03:41 pm »
These DB Dawgs look simple and easy and cheap enough, if they take 10db off, that clears up at least 80% of bikes at a guess ;) doesnt really change the look of your bike a great deal either, has anybody ever tried or of anyone who has tried one of these

http://www.dirtwerkz.com/Pages/products/exhaust/dB_Dawg.html

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 07:18:04 pm »
I have a new DG oval silencer but it may not be long enough.
Is there somewhere I can get some of that oval alloy tubing to make a longer silencer body?
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 07:41:20 pm »
These DB Dawgs look simple and easy and cheap enough, if they take 10db off, that clears up at least 80% of bikes at a guess ;) doesnt really change the look of your bike a great deal either, has anybody ever tried or of anyone who has tried one of these

be interesting to see if they actually work or could be made how can we say " similar " on a local inhouse level. interesting they say 4-6 db reduction but also refer to the AMA 99db rule

What about coatings ? as in you coat the pipe to absorb the sound waves ?

YEs im glad too this post has returned to reality brent. but dont speak to loudly they might return.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 09:51:10 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 10:21:28 pm »

this product has been put on this ozvmx forum before,but no one has commented, maybe this time. :o

hey mainline did it work ???
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:24:41 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

mainline

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 09:26:07 am »
I don't know, the bike doesn't run yet  ;D but I was pretty happy with the way it looks ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though, I used the dimensions of a stock muffler as a pattern. Mine is slightly longer and a bigger diameter, and so is the new muffler. boom tish.

Also, the core I've used has slightly bigger holes and I'll be using a decent muffler packing. The original mufflers were a one piece item and I made mine to be repackable, so fingers crossed.

husky61

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 12:25:55 pm »
Attached is a diagram and explaination.

This is based on a couple of silencers that we have manufactured and tested on 250cc two strokes. The outcome has been quite successful and considerably lower cost that than after market brand type silencers.

Time to manufacture was approx. 2.5hrs from start to finish excluding the time taken to source the required materials

Note: The longer the silencer the greater the acoustic reduction. Some brands allow for the concealment of longer silencers.

I have written a presented a number of papers on acoustic reduction for industry application over the years and would be pleased to email parts of  the papers for those who like to properly understand the principals of acoustic reduction Some of material is not particularly relevant to motor cycles but will provide an overview on the principles of acoustic movement and reduction.

Freakshow , you are still a wanker

Shoey