Author Topic: Tips on how to reduce the racket your bike makes  (Read 10310 times)

mainline

Re: Tips on how to reduce the racket your bike makes
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 02:21:58 pm »
Husky, thanks for that. Interesting point about not overpacking the muffler or wrapping the core too tightly, I'll bear that in mind.

Other than that my homemade jobby looks like it should work well based on your diagram.

husky61

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 03:33:26 pm »
Thats OK

Dont forget the bend at the outlet of the silencer , this makes a considerable contribution to the noise reduction.

Remember , that with a 70% or greater free area used in the preforated silencer core(large perforations) ,maintenance is greater due to errosion of the absorptive material caused by the high velocity  exhaust gases , prior to blocking of the perforations due the oil entrained in the exhaust gases although the blocking of the larger perforations takes considerably longer or conversely you can use 70% or greater free area  with smaller perforations which will block quicker with less absorptive material errosion. Either way it still requires maintenance.

The larger perforations showed approx. 0.5dba greater noise reduction at 3.0m, which barely perceptable to the normal human ear.

Regular cleaning and repacking will overcome the above issues  keeping the bike relatively quiete

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 05:56:53 pm »
Attached is a diagram and explaination.

Freakshow , you are still a wanker

Shoey

pffft............ let me get you a Waaaaammbulance you sook :'(

at least you have finally pulled your head in and been constructive....... .  Wasnt too hard was it ?       

<<<<   Talk to the hand   :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:59:49 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

husky61

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 06:11:17 pm »
Wanker

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 08:25:36 pm »
husky61,

Thanks for posting the drawings, any advice for four strokes?

I'd be interested in the info on noise reduction you mentioned in your post if possible.

Brent

The older I get, the faster I was

oldfart

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 08:28:33 pm »
Looza ... I have drilled the oles out to 6mm and added more of .   4 stroker  ;)

The baffle is 50mm in dia OD (perferated section )with a stub taking it back to 44.5 mm
            6 of 14 dia x 30mm long ( rocket launches ) welded in a group which fits inside the baffle.
            The end cone is 80mm x 51mm , and overall length is 280 long

Bottom pic showing expanded end that baffle slips into ( 44mm ) inside

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:35:42 pm by oldfart »

husky61

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 09:30:30 pm »
Hey Old fart

That silencer looks the goods . I have noticed some of the performance pipes for larger capacity road bikes utilising this method.

Brent , i have a particularly good silencer on my HL , that has little or no effect on the performance of the engine. I didnt make this silencer but i will measure it and PM the detail

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 09:54:10 pm »
Thanks Husky,

you going to Conondale this year? I want another race
The older I get, the faster I was

husky61

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 09:13:43 am »
Hey Brent

We are going up to Connondale.
I will not be competing as Iam still recovering from a knee reconstruction ,  i will be taking my CR390 auto and will have a ride during the practice session on saturday.

See you there.

Cheers

Shoey