Author Topic: FIRES IN VIC  (Read 7138 times)

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
FIRES IN VIC
« on: February 11, 2014, 02:38:37 am »
With all the fires in Victoria burnning at the moment hope all within the motorcycling community are safe
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: FIRES IN VIC
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 03:27:43 am »
Had the parents-in-law loaded up ready to leave this evening as the fire came close to them, only to find that we couldn't get back home coz the cops had the roads blocked off to stop people entering the area, but we sneaked in the back way ;-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 03:30:43 am »
How far away from you is it

Tony T

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:04:34 am »
the cops had the roads blocked off to stop people entering the area, but we sneaked in the back way ;-)

And then we call the same cops to come and save us when it goes pear-shaped.  ::)
Or worse, take the CFA away from their work to get you.
Sorry for the rant, but I've seen property burn because someone 'snuck in' cos they thought it was safe and then had to be rescued.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:17:23 am by Tony T »

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:21:47 am »
I hope the Herbets are ok over in the Orbost area. No doubt there are others from the VMX community caught up in the fires. Good luck to you all and stay safe.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 09:38:47 am »
We knocked back going to a BBQ last night (the BBQ might have been coming to us :o) for the simple reason that a wind change would have shut the Hume down and we wouldn’t have been able to get back.

The Mickleham fire is looking  a bit less serious this morning, no doubt that have a way to go to rub it out completely but hopefully the weather (wind) will give the fireys a break.

In typical newsreel fashion here’s some file photo’s of a fire near us 12 months ago

Stay safe everyone
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:56:03 am »
Hope the fires don't reach you in Broadford Geoff.....I hear Wallan copped it pretty bad, again!
Apparently 12 of the fires were deliberately lit by firebugs. I can think of many other titles for the arseholes but I best refrain.

I think those who light fires deliberately should be charged with attempted murder at the very least. Afterall, that could very well be the outcome of their random callousness.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 10:01:38 am »
I do not believe the fires were deliberately lit, the main fire started in Mickleham (and was fanned north to Kilmore) by a tree falling across powerlines, people saw the sparks.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:05:33 am »
There were reports from Craig Lapsley, the EMS commisioner, that at least 12 fires were being investigated as deliberately lit. You are right about the Mickleham fire though.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 11:18:39 am »
Fires near us at Gladysdale and Poweltown. J

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 11:31:44 am »
At least you guys are getting warnings ,not like us a few years ago .If it gets close get the hell out of there.

Offline 500Fool

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 02:59:36 pm »
At least you guys are getting warnings ,not like us a few years ago .If it gets close get the hell out of there.
I beg to differ, the likes of the black Saturday fires every one was warned. They were saying weeks earlier that it was going to be a bad weekend and to think about what you do.
Now every five minutes there is a text on your phone warning about a fire that was out days ago. The "Cry wolf" effect has negated any positive effect by bombarding people with useless stuff.
Ultimately we have to take some responsibility for ourselves and look out.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 04:49:02 pm »
Think about what you are saying before you post utter shit.

Offline steve7406

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 06:15:05 pm »
WHAT A FOOL YOU ARE MISTER 500
2000 Yamaha WR400f
1980 Suzuki RM250t
1977 Suzuki RM125b                                         
1975 Yamaha MX250b
1973 Yamaha mx360 (on the rebuild table)                                                               
1972 Yamaha dt1 250
1976 Suzuki ts 185

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 07:32:31 pm »
I don't think it helps anyone getting wound up about it, what happened 5 years ago was  nothing but an absolute disaster whichever way you look at it. I think that things have definitely improved in regard to warnings etc since then, however it will never be a perfect world where every individual gets a warning message. I think it is much better to get a warning about a fire even if it was contained days ago because it makes you think about it, and maybe check to make sure it hasn't flared up again. I do agree with two things that 500Fool says 1/ every person must take responsibility for themselves,- try not to put themselves or loved ones in danger and 2/ yes, there was at least a weeks worth of warnings on the TV, radio etc where the premier at the time had press conferences warning people the coming weekend was going to be the worst on record, and for people to take all necessary precautions. gdr is quite right in saying if it get close get the hell out of there. John, even though you had the right intentions, it is a drama for emergency vehicles when private cars sometimes get in the way, and quite often people will panic causing all sorts of problems, the best thing is stay away when asked/told to. My ten cents worth, and yes, I have first hand experience, I was working on Black Saturday and had to deal with it all, trying to convince people to go when the fire was bearing down on their house and they stubbornly refused to go, rubberneckers trying to "just get a look mate ", people desperate to try and get to a particular house to attempt to rescue pets and cars, boats, bikes etc. not an experience I ever want to repeat and certainly made my admiration for the CFA even higher.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)