Author Topic: Chain support ( guard )  (Read 48792 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Chain support ( guard )
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 10:25:07 pm »
I'll build some that fit YZ A's and B's Ross.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:03 pm »
Just a thought , did anybody pass away because a chain support was not fitted?

I would have thought spokes going ten to the dozen would pose a far greater threat 8)
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 11:49:54 am »
Just a thought , did anybody pass away because a chain support was not fitted?

I would have thought spokes going ten to the dozen would pose a far greater threat 8)

Nahhh, I reckon most who ride motorcycles climbed up through the push bike ranks first.

Whether upside down or on a stand, with rag in hand cleaning our wheels, who resists the thrill of spinning
them and who hasn't had their fingers banged by spokes in the process ::) The usual is a lesson
 accompanied with a little pain :( and not much more.

But you get any part of you fed in between a chain and a sprocket?? as leedo says "it ain't coming back", or growing back!, for that matter.

Brain wave  :P Lets have a game of truth or dare Ted 8)
Lets put a running bike in gear on a stand. Lets say we both ware gloves.
I will feed my fingers into the spokes, just like a bitt of kids cardboard roarer, just like I have done a multitude of times.
You on the other hand(no pun intended  :D) you feed your fingers into the unprotected unblocked lower access feed point between the chain and rear sprocket ::)
You have a spare don't you Ted?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hand

this is my neighbors hand as a result from a pushy cleaning chain accident when he was nine.

A shredder only shreds when it has something fed into it, but first it needs to be running.

I do think a tear-away lanyard kill switch isn't too much too ask though and I believe it would do a lot to drastically
reduce the risk and scenario of events leading to a screaming engine powered rear chain and sprocket shredder.

Unlikely????????? yes, but shit can and does occasionally happen :-\

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:03:02 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 12:11:46 pm »
Excuse my ignorance, but can anyone explain what this means?

16.15.4.3    If a plastic, fibreglass or part open chain guard is used, a steel bolt of not less than 10mm diameter, placed outside the bottom rear quadrant of the clutch sprocket. This bolt, if damaged, must be replaced.

Yes this rule is referring the a chain primary drive and is aimed at Speedway and DT Long Track sliders.  A Maico has a chain primary drive but it is inside the clutch cover.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 12:13:18 pm »

16.15.4.3    If a plastic, fibreglass or part open chain guard is used, a steel bolt of not less than 10mm diameter, placed outside the bottom rear quadrant of the clutch sprocket. This bolt, if damaged, must be replaced.

I think that is self explanatory,

If they meant rear sprocket, they would have said "rear sprocket"
If they meant counter sprocket, they would have said "counter sprocket"

In fact they have said clutch sprocket, so they probably mean "clutch sprocket"
Without going into the rule book to see in what context that rule was meant?
I imagine it would be that a bolt of not less than 10mm to absorb and/or contain a primary chain "let-go"
Don't some speedway bikes only have weight-saving plastic primary drive covers?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:16:05 pm by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 12:15:40 pm »

Yes this rule is referring the a chain primary drive and is aimed at Speedway and DT Long Track sliders.  A Maico has a chain primary drive but it is inside the clutch cover.

Spot on, I reckon, beat me to it by 1 minute and 32 seconds  ;D ;D :)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 12:20:37 pm »
Back in the 90's at one of the Queens Birthday Greybeards meeting in Condo, South Aussie Bob Voumard was loading his CZ onto the trailer and asked a passer by to give him a hand. The poor bloke must have been a newbie as he picked the rear of the bike up with the chain or sprocket and they rolled it forward onto the trailer. I was walking past just as it happened and the blood curdling scream drew my attention to the severed finger sitting on the trailer. We all stood there staring at the digit for a few seconds before it dawned on us what had happened. They took the poor good Samaritan and his severed finger to the hospital but I never heard whether they'd managed to sow it back on again.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline gt96

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 12:22:17 pm »

Spot on, I reckon, beat me to it by 1 minute and 32 seconds  ;D ;D :)

Thanks guys.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 12:25:06 pm »
Does the standard funny looking pretty useless one on the yz125d count as one?
There is a massive gap?

I will try and find a pic

That will be fine Paul

In my opinion, no one should say whether a current bike is ok or not.  I will try to clarify what is acceptable.

As for why this rule is there.  It apparently started as a Road Race rule because some flaggies had trouble when picking up fallen bikes etc.  (If you have a 2013 MOMS take a look at page 101, the sharp guard, these are like most modern chain guards). Also one of the early posts did mention flaggies at a MX who had also lost parts of fingers.  Just another thing Darryl Beattie also lost several toes when he was highsided from a GP 500 and landed foot first into a spinning wheel.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 12:29:50 pm »
Back in the 90's at one of the Queens Birthday Greybeards meeting in Condo, South Aussie Bob Voumard was loading his CZ onto the trailer and asked a passer by to give him a hand. The poor bloke must have been a newbie as he picked the rear of the bike up with the chain or sprocket and they rolled it forward onto the trailer. I was walking past just as it happened and the blood curdling scream drew my attention to the severed finger sitting on the trailer. We all stood there staring at the digit for a few seconds before it dawned on us what had happened. They took the poor good Samaritan and his severed finger to the hospital but I never heard whether they'd managed to sow it back on again.

Yes, its a pain in ass, but it is of concern.
One thing I thank my father for, is showing me the danger of chains and sprockets when I got my first pushy.
And I am still very aware of it every time someone helps me load a bike.

Hummmm, if you were at work would you operate or allow anyone else to operate a machine with an unguarded or unprotected chain transmission drive?

The mick just doesn't need any more jobs but.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 01:06:49 pm »
So is this rule being imposed on Evolution class only or is it for all classes? I'm not about to weld lugs on my B50's nickel plated swingarm. 1st, there's the cost of replating the swingarm, 2nd, the bike didn't have one in the first place. What a crock pot full of molasses! MOTORCYCLING IS A DANGEROUS SPORT....and the rest of the blurb we hear all the time at riders briefings.... Next thing we will be required to wear air bag suits and have outrigger wheels on our bikes so we don't fall off.
If the problem lies with flaggies getting injured picking up motorcycles, why is there never any briefing for them. I have asked officialdom this before when I have marshaled  at various events, big and small, because I realise not everybody who volunteers for duty is familiar with the dangers of a hot or running motorcycle. They always say there will be a briefing for flaggies, but it never happens. At the last Broadford Classic Nats, a flaggie got a pretty nasty burnt hand by attempting to pick up a fallen bike by the exhaust! Do we need to cover exhausts as well? Come on, common sense should dictate that ALL FLAGGIES OR MARSHALS NEED TO BE BRIEFED ON THE DANGERS OF MOTORCYCLES PRIOR TO AN EVENT STARTING. Not all flaggies know to look PAST the corner/obstacle they are at either, which is another area that needs to be addressed.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 01:13:21 pm »
Could someone pop up a photo or drawing of a generic guard ? Just to to let me and perhaps others get a grasp of what this all pertains to. Thanks Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 01:14:33 pm »
So is this rule being imposed on Evolution class only or is it for all classes? I'm not about to weld lugs on my B50's nickel plated swingarm. 1st, there's the cost of replating the swingarm, 2nd, the bike didn't have one in the first place. What a crock pot full of molasses! MOTORCYCLING IS A DANGEROUS SPORT....and the rest of the blurb we hear all the time at riders briefings.... Next thing we will be required to wear air bag suits and have outrigger wheels on our bikes so we don't fall off.
If the problem lies with flaggies getting injured picking up motorcycles, why is there never any briefing for them. I have asked officialdom this before when I have marshaled  at various events, big and small, because I realise not everybody who volunteers for duty is familiar with the dangers of a hot or running motorcycle. They always say there will be a briefing for flaggies, but it never happens. At the last Broadford Classic Nats, a flaggie got a pretty nasty burnt hand by attempting to pick up a fallen bike by the exhaust! Do we need to cover exhausts as well? Come on, common sense should dictate that ALL FLAGGIES OR MARSHALS NEED TO BE BRIEFED ON THE DANGERS OF MOTORCYCLES PRIOR TO AN EVENT STARTING. Not all flaggies know to look PAST the corner/obstacle they are at either, which is another area that needs to be addressed.
Education is certainly the only cure for ignorance, for sure.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 01:18:55 pm »
I got this email from the trials club last night;

Hi all.

We hope everyone has had a well deserved holiday.

Attached is the calander for 2014 with 5 rounds and 3 " Run what you brung days"

We also will be hosting the Nsw classic and post classic championships with hopefully a support class of sidecars.

Please help by spreading the word about our club so we can get some new and old members for 2014.

*** LANYARD CUT OUT SWITCHES****

These are compulsory please ensure these are in place by our first round in March.

We Look forward to seeing everyone in March.

Kind regards Megan.

I am OK with this one, lets face it, if you cant fit a tear-away lanyard kill switch,,, welll you probably don't know what to do with toilet paper or shoe-laces either ::)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:26:57 pm by Mick D »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 01:20:41 pm »
Tim's  eureka thought of the day:  The diametrically opposite of commonsense is cotton wool. ::)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.