Author Topic: Chain support ( guard )  (Read 48769 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Chain support ( guard )
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 01:23:17 pm »
Tim's  eureka thought of the day:  The diametrically opposite of commonsense is cotton wool. ::)

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have no idea why I am laughin my tits off, but at least I am laughing ;D

Thanks ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 01:50:51 pm »
I got this email from the trials club last night;

Hi all.

We hope everyone has had a well deserved holiday.

Attached is the calander for 2014 with 5 rounds and 3 " Run what you brung days"

We also will be hosting the Nsw classic and post classic championships with hopefully a support class of sidecars.

Please help by spreading the word about our club so we can get some new and old members for 2014.

*** LANYARD CUT OUT SWITCHES****

These are compulsory please ensure these are in place by our first round in March.

We Look forward to seeing everyone in March.

Kind regards Megan.

I am OK with this one, lets face it, if you cant fit a tear-away lanyard kill switch,,, welll you probably don't know what to do with toilet paper or shoe-laces either ::)

So lanyard kill switches are compulsory not only for the sidecars at this meeting but all machines.  I'm getting sick of Clubs/Promoters making up their own rules.

Read the MOMS you can't just put your own rules in.

As for what a Rear Chain Guard should look like.  Easy there is one advertised for sale in the 2013 MOMS page 101.  They should do a job similar to that one.

Kevin
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:58:24 pm by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 02:29:13 pm »
I've got no problem with lanyard cut off switches, in fact I reckon they should be compulsory on all race bikes in all disciplines. This rear sprocket guard thing however annoys the shit out of me . All of my swing arms are nickel plated and I'm loathe to ruin the nickel plating by welding on a bracket to mount the guard. As a former government department OH&S officer who was frustrated by ever changing legislation and standards, I see this as another example of OH&S making us more and more compliant to Big Brothers (Insurance Companies) whims.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 02:47:09 pm »
Who comes up with all this shit ? Whats it going to be next .
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 02:59:56 pm »
Who comes up with all this shit ? Whats it going to be next .

I see this as another example of OH&S making us more and more compliant to Big Brothers (Insurance Companies) whims.

Next thing we will be required to wear air bag suits and have outrigger wheels on our bikes so we don't fall off.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 03:57:18 pm »
Back in the 90's at one of the Queens Birthday Greybeards meeting in Condo, South Aussie Bob Voumard was loading his CZ onto the trailer and asked a passer by to give him a hand. The poor bloke must have been a newbie as he picked the rear of the bike up with the chain or sprocket and they rolled it forward onto the trailer. I was walking past just as it happened and the blood curdling scream drew my attention to the severed finger sitting on the trailer. We all stood there staring at the digit for a few seconds before it dawned on us what had happened. They took the poor good Samaritan and his severed finger to the hospital but I never heard whether they'd managed to sow it back on again.

Above is a good example of why the guard is needed.  Some poor good Samaritan possibly looses a couple of fingers (hopefully they were able to reattach them).  He could have been a pianist or guitarist or someone who needed good dexterity.  Just imagine the payout.  When a problem is identified sometimes it can't be ignored.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 04:05:40 pm »
Next you'll want full chain gaurds like on the old ag bikes.
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 04:59:46 pm »
Next you'll want full chain gaurds like on the old ag bikes.

It's not me that wants it.  Don't get up the messenger.  I'm just saying don't ignore it because it will come back to bite you.

I just hope all the Histairical Road Race bikes have got them.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 09:27:39 pm »
I got this email from the trials club last night;

Hi all.

We hope everyone has had a well deserved holiday.

Attached is the calander for 2014 with 5 rounds and 3 " Run what you brung days"

We also will be hosting the Nsw classic and post classic championships with hopefully a support class of sidecars.

Please help by spreading the word about our club so we can get some new and old members for 2014.

*** LANYARD CUT OUT SWITCHES****

These are compulsory please ensure these are in place by our first round in March.

We Look forward to seeing everyone in March.

Kind regards Megan.

I am OK with this one, lets face it, if you cant fit a tear-away lanyard kill switch,,, welll you probably don't know what to do with toilet paper or shoe-laces either ::)

So lanyard kill switches are compulsory not only for the sidecars at this meeting but all machines.  I'm getting sick of Clubs/Promoters making up their own rules.

Read the MOMS you can't just put your own rules in.

As for what a Rear Chain Guard should look like.  Easy there is one advertised for sale in the 2013 MOMS page 101.  They should do a job similar to that one.

Kevin

After having read several different Commission minutes it would appear that the Moto Trials Commission has recommended the use of lanyard kill switches for Moto Trials.  It was approved by the MA Board.  No other Commissions have made the same recommendation including Dirt Track.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2014, 10:02:12 pm »
YES the cam make their on rules up if its in the supp regs then you have to abide by them or dont ride.
aust dirt track nats trials tyers only(supp reg rules)
jim

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:24 pm »
ALL FLAGGIES OR MARSHALS NEED TO BE BRIEFED ON THE DANGERS OF MOTORCYCLES PRIOR TO AN EVENT
Yeah a briefing will work.  I've been marshalling at events for more than 30yrs and thought I knew what was dangerous, until I tried to pick up an AJS that's laying in the mud at the Classic nats.  Add one more thing to the long list.  Had a sore back for weeks.
But your right uneducated flaggies should not be picking up bikes. 

The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2014, 10:55:38 pm »
I didn't think it was a flaggies job even to touch a bike. I thought they just stood there either waving or not a flag.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:12 am »
I didn't think it was a flaggies job even to touch a bike. I thought they just stood there either waving or not a flag.

There are times when a rider needs help picking up a bike or they might be injured and physically can not pick up their downed machine. Other times the bike might be in an awkward or dangerous position so in an effort to keep the race going smoothly, the bike needs to be removed ASAP.
Other than those scenarios, you are right about not touching a bike. All of this could be outlined and impressed upon flaggies and marshals at a briefing, BEFORE THE EVENT STARTS. To me it seems that the flaggies are treated with the old "she'll be right" attitude, and seeing as the people who volunteer their time for us to ride, they should be educated on the processes, what flag colours mean and the inherent dangers involved to themselves and the riders IF they don't follow the code.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2014, 10:40:00 am »
The marshal's main job is to warn the oncoming riders, but there are circumstances when they are needed to remove a bike from the track.  So saying they shouldn't touch the bikes doesn't work.  Also if a rider is trapped under a bike they shouldn't be expected to just stand there.  If it is safe to go remove the bike they can.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 11:05:50 am »
The marshal's main job is to warn the oncoming riders, but there are circumstances when they are needed to remove a bike from the track.  So saying they shouldn't touch the bikes doesn't work.  Also if a rider is trapped under a bike they shouldn't be expected to just stand there.  If it is safe to go remove the bike they can.

This is why whenever I 'wave a flag' at the top corner on the Nepean main straight I'm always happier if there is a "picker upper'with me.
 Just about everyone who has raced or practiced at Nepean a few years has dropped the plot at that cornerpancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!