Author Topic: Chain support ( guard )  (Read 48791 times)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Chain support ( guard )
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2014, 08:08:40 pm »
 rear chain guard,lol :D :D :D :D
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2014, 09:29:32 am »
So do we need to consider using solid wheels as well? Afterall, there is potential for fingers to get caught in a spoke wheel.....

All these friggin rule changes are a joke! Has the commission nothing better to do than look for POTENTIAL problems? If so, what are they doing in their role? Surely they should be looking at ways of improving the sport and making it EASIER to compete, not adding more rules that do nothing to improve the sport and only frustrate the owner/rider of the bike(s).
I've seen fingers chopped off at work. I've seen fingers chopped off at ice skating. I've seen a bloke stabbed through chest with his own surfboard. Pedestrians get bowled over all the time. Bike riders get cleaned up on a regular basis. People trip over chips in shopping centres......and on it goes. Point is, you can't stop stupid from being stupid and you can't wrap society in cotton wool.
Yes, people get injured riding and even working on motorcycles, but that's the way it has always been and no stupid rule(s) is ever going to change that.
I won't be fitting any chain guard to any of my bikes. PERIOD

Yes accidents do happen, but if the controlling body see a potentional problem they either accept the risk or do something about it.  The rule GCR 12.8.8.6 has been there for a number of years now.  The Commission obtained an exemption from it in the past (eg 2013 MOMS) but now for what ever reason have decided that Classic MX and DT should comply.  Histairical Road Racing have to have a guard 16.4.2.12 and to my knowledge all other disciplines have to have a guard.  So Classic MX & DT is just doing the same as everyone else.

Ask the Historic Road Racers how they fit a guard.

Come on.... The whole world of motorcycling is a potential risk, whether that's riding to work, playing in the back yard, out trail riding or racing .... Life itself is a potential risk.
Fair enough if a guide/guard has been removed from a bike, but why do we, the riders, racers and owners, the people who pay for licenses and club fees etc., the people who entertain the crowds, have to accept what the commission and or MA decide what is best for us. If we all stand together and say we aren't going to be retro fitting chain guards to our old bikes, so therefore we can't ride said bike, who is going to pay these badge wearers wages? Who is going to entertain the crowds? No riders = no money! It's about time democracy came into play instead of this dictorial crap that is happening at the moment.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2014, 01:52:16 pm »
There is a lot of confusion about all this.  Please note all other disciplines other than Classic MX and DT have to fit the guards.

http://moms.org.au/rules/16-historic-road-racing/16-4-eligibility-historic-road-racing/#section-14-16  This is the Historic Road Race rule

"14.16.2.10 Where the exhaust system or swing arm does not shield the sprocket a chain guard made of suitable material must be fitted in such a way to prevent trapping between the lower drive chain and the final drive sprocket at the rear wheel."

Also please note the guard isn't a guard over the rear sprocket it is more like a modern bikes CHAIN GUIDE

Also most Classic and Post Classic bikes already have something in place that will do the job required.

The purpose of the Chain Guard (Guide) is to reduce the risk of someone's hand (fingers) going into the rear sprocket with the chain.  A modern chain guide does that job.

I'm sure the legal profession would have a field day if someone lost fingers because nothing was there, especially if all other disciplines of Motorcycling Sport including Historic Road Racing had a rule saying something should be there.

Saying they weren't there when they were new doesn't work.  How many Historic Racing machines now have things fitted that they didn't back in the day.  Roll Bars for one, also drivers/riders don't wear pudding basin helmets or no seat belts etc. 
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2014, 03:01:07 pm »
 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) Chain guide...lol    ;D ;D ;D
Embrace patina

TM BILL

« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2014, 03:16:16 pm »

I'm sure the legal profession would have a field day if someone lost fingers because nothing was there, especially if all other disciplines of Motorcycling Sport including Historic Road Racing had a rule saying something should be there.

Saying they weren't there when they were new doesn't work.  How many Historic Racing machines now have things fitted that they didn't back in the day.  Roll Bars for one, also drivers/riders don't wear pudding basin helmets or no seat belts etc.

And that is where with all the best intentions in the world the rule makers play right into the hands of the PC mob and legal eagles out to make a commission on a suing  ::)

KISS the more you say or in this case write down the more ammunition you give these pricks . Have many of you competed in  an AMA  event ? it may have changed now but the rules were written on an A4 piece of paper you signed on at the gate ( and this was at Ponca city a kids national event .

WTF ever happened to common sense  ???

I spent the weekend at a National Classic road race event , they run under MNZ rules and yet there were so many exposed primary drives clutch , primary gear , chain and all  ;D even I thought fork that but hey its their fingers . A lot of these blokes come to Aussie to race and bring their bikes  so do they have to fit primary covers to race ? in a lot of cases it didn't look like a 5 minute job to fit something . 

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2014, 03:44:35 pm »
I hear there is a new rule comeing out, the bike and rider has to be completely wrapped in bubble wrap and all the bubbles must be inflated anyone popping the bubbles will get only 1 warning and if bubble bursting continues they will be asked to leave

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2014, 03:45:22 pm »
When I started this thread I thought I would get a simple yes or no in maybe three posts max.

Not seven pages.

Well it ain't written anywhere pertaining to the bike I enquired about so it's not going on.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2014, 03:49:55 pm »
Shelpi that's OSH approved bubble wrap!! ;) ;) ;) ;)
Embrace patina

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2014, 04:08:15 pm »
Shelpi that's OSH approved bubble wrap!! ;) ;) ;) ;)
Shit, the bubble wrap must be of an industrial std the UN #666 with the manufactures msda, jsa and wtf A

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2014, 04:45:49 pm »
My whole problem for the lot is every discipline had a different set of standards.  Me, I will not be placing a final drive chain guard on my bikes, because as i read it, it's not required for our discipline
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2014, 04:58:05 pm »
I hear there is a new rule comeing out, the bike and rider has to be completely wrapped in bubble wrap and all the bubbles must be inflated anyone popping the bubbles will get only 1 warning and if bubble bursting continues they will be asked to leave

Your a bubbly guy.....your fu...ked ;D ;D ;D

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2014, 05:04:21 pm »

Yer thats rule number 1.
Rule number 2 is Rider can also be wrapped up in cotton wool  :)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2014, 05:14:01 pm »
Cotton wool is ONLY to be used on dry days.

The penetrometer must not penetrate the earths surface by more than 29.5mm adjacent to a mark being 43.25mm to the SSE of bottom triple clamp mounting bolt (left side ) If it exceeds this penetration it will be deemed a wet day and bubble wrap will be enforced.

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2014, 08:35:08 pm »
cotton wool should be pump with fire retardant in case of fire with a certificate of proof as well as msds for cotton wool and fire retardant.it will be presented to the scrutineer as well as your numbers on your back before you may compete in any ma permitted meeting.
I was hoping this reply would pump it out to 8 pages.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:37:38 pm by micks »

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »
Yes....8 pages of BS.
Other than industrial bubble wrap and cotton wool, can't we just avoid the need for protection by fitting out rigger wheels when we ride on bumpy tracks. That will stop a lot of falls.....and prevent fingers from getting caught in chains and sprockets  ::)
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.