Author Topic: Chain support ( guard )  (Read 48809 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Chain support ( guard )
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2014, 06:00:48 pm »
Hypothetical....A day out from the Nats MA release on the web that a guard is needed. Not much good to someone travelling from interstate. Will you guys publish a cutoff date for any intended rulings by others.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2014, 06:29:33 pm »
It's not up to me.  All I know is that it should be there and I asked Dave Tanner and he said their intention was that Classic and Post Classic MX DT should comply the same as all the other disciplines.  I will point it out to MA.  The Womens class is in the new MOMS now so they listened to that. 
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2014, 06:31:02 pm »
In my mind ,The rear sprocket guard should be there to save fingers  ;) even if the rules say yes or no

Offline Stewart Allen

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2014, 07:29:16 pm »
Ok so does anyone have a photo or diagram of one they can post up here.
CHEERS STEWART

Doing it to old things is fun
# 74 Heaven
IT490 Will be going one day soon
CR125M
SL175 bitza
IT250D needs work
CR250RE Not going as yet
YZ125F

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2014, 07:58:37 pm »
Don't forget that Mom's are read in conjunction with sup reg's which could  include/delete  certain Items if aproved

;D ;D :o

Noel

OK lets get one thing straight Supp Regs can not include or delete GCRs.

Kevin
If I remember correctly at the 2012 National Classic's at QLD motorpark sup regs included a paragraph that exempted bikes from the chain gaurd that had been included in that years GCR's.
and I have no doubt that a club or promotoer could include the use of a chain gaurd even if it was not in the Mom,s if approved by SCB's or MA

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:04:16 pm by Noel »

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2014, 07:58:49 pm »
Should look like the moderns , they cover the start of the sprocket so your fingers don't fit between the start of the sprocket and chain area.
would post a pic but cant

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2014, 09:16:04 am »
All these friggin rule changes are a joke! Has the commission nothing better to do than look for POTENTIAL problems? If so, what are they doing in their role? Surely they should be looking at ways of improving the sport and making it EASIER to compete, not adding more rules that do nothing to improve the sport and only frustrate the owner/rider of the bike(s).
I've seen fingers chopped off at work. I've seen fingers chopped off at ice skating. I've seen a bloke stabbed through chest with his own surfboard. Pedestrians get bowled over all the time. Bike riders get cleaned up on a regular basis. People trip over chips in shopping centres......and on it goes. Point is, you can't stop stupid from being stupid and you can't wrap society in cotton wool.
Yes, people get injured riding and even working on motorcycles, but that's the way it has always been and no stupid rule(s) is ever going to change that.
I won't be fitting any chain guard to any of my bikes. PERIOD
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2014, 01:24:26 pm »
Don't forget that Mom's are read in conjunction with sup reg's which could  include/delete  certain Items if aproved

;D ;D :o

Noel

OK lets get one thing straight Supp Regs can not include or delete GCRs.

Kevin
If I remember correctly at the 2012 National Classic's at QLD motorpark sup regs included a paragraph that exempted bikes from the chain gaurd that had been included in that years GCR's.
and I have no doubt that a club or promotoer could include the use of a chain gaurd even if it was not in the Mom,s if approved by SCB's or MA

I don't know which supp-regs you saw but I didn't see that clause.  Supp-regs can not over rule GCRs.  In exceptional circumstances MA (I stress MA) may permit something to be over ruled.

If you want to see what a guard should look like take a look at the one on page 101 of the 2013 MOMS.  It is time to get MA (or the Commission) to say what they think will comply.  A lot of bikes have already got chain guides that restrict fingers from getting into the rear wheel.  I think it is the bikes that haven't got anything at all that need something.

One problem will be scrutineers or clubs that don't accept an intrepidation of the rule.  We need everyone to be on the same page.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2014, 01:39:15 pm »
All these friggin rule changes are a joke! Has the commission nothing better to do than look for POTENTIAL problems? If so, what are they doing in their role? Surely they should be looking at ways of improving the sport and making it EASIER to compete, not adding more rules that do nothing to improve the sport and only frustrate the owner/rider of the bike(s).
I've seen fingers chopped off at work. I've seen fingers chopped off at ice skating. I've seen a bloke stabbed through chest with his own surfboard. Pedestrians get bowled over all the time. Bike riders get cleaned up on a regular basis. People trip over chips in shopping centres......and on it goes. Point is, you can't stop stupid from being stupid and you can't wrap society in cotton wool.
Yes, people get injured riding and even working on motorcycles, but that's the way it has always been and no stupid rule(s) is ever going to change that.

Yes accidents do happen, but if the controlling body see a potentional problem they either accept the risk or do something about it.  The rule GCR 12.8.8.6 has been there for a number of years now.  The Commission obtained an exemption from it in the past (eg 2013 MOMS) but now for what ever reason have decided that Classic MX and DT should comply.  Histairical Road Racing have to have a guard 16.4.2.12 and to my knowledge all other disciplines have to have a guard.  So Classic MX & DT is just doing the same as everyone else.

Ask the Historic Road Racers how they fit a guard.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:29:58 pm by KTM47 »

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2014, 02:46:51 pm »

Yes accidents do happen, but if the controlling body see a potentional problem they either accept the risk or do something about it.  The rule GCR 12.8.8.6 has been there for a number of years now.  The Commission obtained an exemption from it in the past (eg 2013 MOMS) but now for what ever reason have decided that Classic MX and DT should comply.  Histairical Road Racing have to have a guard 16.4.2.12 and to my knowledge all other disciplines have to have a guard.  So Classic MX & DT is just doing the same as everyone else.

Ask the Historic Road Racers who they fit a guard.

Once again all in the reading in Historic Road racing the wording Final drive sprocket is used, with no mention of the primary drive.  Where there is no mention in Classix MX/Dirtack
Historic
14.16.2.10 Where the exhaust system or swing arm does not shield the sprocket a chain guard made of suitable material must be fitted in such a way to prevent trapping between the lower drive chain and the final drive sprocket at the rear wheel.

and in moderns only the primary needs covering

15.22.8 Drive chain protection

15.22.8.1 Front sprocket may be guarded so as to prevent direct access to the chain or sprockets with the fingers.
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

TM BILL

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2014, 02:55:18 pm »

Now come on  ::) since when has the commision or the governing body been interested in doing anything to improve or make the sport more user friendly for the licence holder ?

Its all about wearing the badge  ;)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2014, 05:37:17 pm »

Once again all in the reading in Historic Road racing the wording Final drive sprocket is used, with no mention of the primary drive.  Where there is no mention in Classix MX/Dirtack
Historic
14.16.2.10 Where the exhaust system or swing arm does not shield the sprocket a chain guard made of suitable material must be fitted in such a way to prevent trapping between the lower drive chain and the final drive sprocket at the rear wheel.

15.22.8.1 Front sprocket may be guarded so as to prevent direct access to the chain or sprockets with the fingers.

final drive sprocket at the rear wheel.  That says to me that the rear sprocket has to have a guard.  We aren't talking about primary drive that is covered elsewhere.  The Historic rule is 16.4.2.12 too not 14.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2014, 05:46:04 pm »
So,at this point in time

road bike = yes

dirt bike = no
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2014, 06:01:58 pm »
 rear chain support :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2014, 07:36:10 pm »

Historic

final drive sprocket at the rear wheel.  That says to me that the rear sprocket has to have a guard.  We aren't talking about primary drive that is covered elsewhere.  The Historic rule is 16.4.2.12 too not 14.

your looking at 2013 I'm looking at 2014 Historic racing is chapter 14 on the 2014 MOMS
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250