Author Topic: A list of "follow on models" that are disputed .  (Read 20009 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: A list of "follow on models" that are disputed .
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2013, 08:43:04 am »
Follow on models are bikes that haven't really changed apart from maybe colour or graphics.  Just because a bike in someones opinion should be in a lower year group doesn't mean it should or can be.

+1.

IMO, the rules either need to be technology based (like Evo is) or age based (like every other class is).
99% of the confusion about what makes a legitimate carry-over bike is fed by the mix of technology-dependent and age dependent rules.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2013, 04:54:41 pm »
Follow on models are bikes that haven't really changed apart from maybe colour or graphics.  Just because a bike in someones opinion should be in a lower year group doesn't mean it should or can be.

+1.

IMO, the rules either need to be technology based (like Evo is) or age based (like every other class is).
99% of the confusion about what makes a legitimate carry-over bike is fed by the mix of technology-dependent and age dependent rules.

I could be mistaken but I think Nathan S is right.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline RW490

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:35 am »

For those that are interested the above photo is one of the most current showing Jody Mason about to pass Ray Stevens and win the Victorian over 40's flat track ( short circuit ) title at Broadford this year. In 1991-92 I was the engine builder for Jody's much talked about Yz250b. Having only known Jody for some 23 years or more, I still missed seeing him in his early motor cross years. Later on we trained together for speedway and one night at the Victorian speedway Titles in Mildura Jody had to lay his bike down to avoid a fallen rider and in doing so broke his Tib and fib off the knuckle joint at his ankle. Had he finished the race he would have been Number 5 in open Speedway in Victoria. This guy is a very accomplished rider. I have also had the pleasure on many occasion to watch Jody on the 2 Valve Jawa around Broadford that he purchased off my father Ray Wason. Jody also rode my Fathers 250 Bultaco hagon in the 1997 Australian Championchips. Another bike that Jody rides is his Weslake Short Circuit bike and recently competed at the OZ titles on his slider Jap which he should have won but for mechanical troubles. Also recently my son Josh Wason bought Jody's lay down Jawa and is now a regular rider at Broadford.
I love the site and have not had a say recently, but when it comes down to it Jody and myself have lined up against some international riders that others could only dream of like, Phil Crump, Leigh Adams and Jason Crump, mark lemon, Chris Watson, Ryan Sullivan, Shane Parker and many more in Speedway, plus myself in early motor cross with Gally and Gunter, Goat Breker and Chuck Sun. So as you can see I have a lot of respect for this man and I am honored to have him as a friend.
Jack of all Master of none

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »
That is a great pic. of Jody Mason . I happen to have a copy of it  and also one of Jody at Temora on his JAP.
I agree with Rick. He is a top bloke and a top rider who is still heavily involved in dirt track and speedway at Broadford.
regards  Mark

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2013, 01:30:08 pm »
Jody and I had our differences during the 250-B  situation but a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.  I've run ito Jody a couple of times at Broadford and can back up that he's both a nice bloke and can ride bloody well. RW, you didn't mention Jody driving a Charger in Historic Touring Car competition as well.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2013, 01:49:54 pm »
Top bloke and bloody good rider for sure.

Wet track didnt slow him down bugger all

Offline pecker

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2013, 09:33:38 am »
75 and 76 KX 125s are the same as 74 models except for paint and mudgaurd colour. They should definetly be pre 75 legal.
Sorry not correct I have a 74 and 75 125 rear shock position is the giveaway as to legality .
Forks are 32mm frame is different at steering head .

Well one  of us has it wrong then , do you have pictures ? because i cant see any difference in mime .
You are correct Bill.. Only the 250/400 had the different shock position. I raced a 76 KX125 with 74 tank colours in pre 75 without a problem
Guys pictures on there way shortly 74 and 75 kx 74 had 30mm forks also and 75 had 32/33

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2013, 02:10:09 pm »

Above is still the only definition of a carry over model.  Unless the classes are changed to Pre 75 (etc) plus other bikes that might be the same, if it wasn't for something being different.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2013, 10:26:35 pm »
Pecker here are pics from the original brochure of the 74 & 76 KX125, as I said rear suspension is the same on both as is everything else in the specifications..

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2013, 11:15:09 pm »
Yep, the old BNG (bold new graphic's.....before Honda made a sqillion out of updating there models, Kawasaki was first...LOL)....I wonder if he has the spec's on the 77 KX's JohnnyO?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2013, 11:41:51 pm »
I wonder if he has the spec's on the 77 KX's JohnnyO?
Haha yeah they're coming with the other pics!

TM BILL

« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2013, 06:37:57 am »
Thanks John i new they were the same  ;) waiting in anticipation for the Peckers pics to see what he has .

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2013, 09:37:25 am »

Sales brochure  :)

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2013, 09:51:34 am »
The '75 KX 125 has been accepted for pre '75 for as long as the '75 Honda 125 has. I wasn't aware of a fork difference between '74 and '75 but if they did go from 30mm to 32 or 33mm as Pecker said that's one that got through to the keeper. I personally think they're all 32mm.......

Anyway, back to the kitchen, I've got the family coming over for lunch and dinner and I've got an oven full of dead birds. I also have to get Reg dressed in his Santa suit before they arrive ;D. Have a GREAT DAY everyone 8).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2013, 10:10:12 am »
you to Firko, Merry christmas all :)