Author Topic: Any news on next Classic Dirt  (Read 7367 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on next Classic Dirt
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
Wherever it is held it has to be successful. It can't afford another failure.
This year's CD wasn't a failure, it just didn't happen for reasons complicated and many. I'm certain that next years CD10 will be a major success, with some interesting new features to keep the fans happy. My big dilemma, as I wrote earlier, is fitting it in to what promises to be a huge year. With me it's down to whether I can squeeze five interstate trips into the old Jeep and out of my wallet. I haven't missed a Classic Dirt yet and barring family situations arising, won't be missing the next one. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:31:59 AM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 12:23:46 PM »
Yep looking forward to CD10, just bought a 4500 GVM truck to carry the bikes  :-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »
You are right Firko. Failure is a negative word and should be avoided.

Also John Orchard is probably on to something. Maybe groups of like minded Vintage nuts should get together and try to cut costs. The more the merrier. Air fares are so cheap why drive.

PS I was tempted to modify the post but then the other ones won't make sense. 
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

TM BILL

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 01:48:36 PM »
The Formula of the CD events is perfect as it is , why do people keep wanting to fork with something that works  ::)

If you want a Pre 90 grass track inclusive Goodwood type event then organise one as John Orchard is doing ,   . If its what the people want they will come  :)

Leave CD alone FFS , Goodwood is a great event in its own right , CD is CD and long shall it remain .

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »
OK I'm sure we don't need anymore major classic events. What I am saying is Pre 90 is now part of Vintage MX and Enduro so why leave them out. Also when I talked about Grass Track I mean the stuff that has been raced in Europe for years. Just have a look at VMX mag No53 page 50.

As for don't f#$% with it. Is it exactly the same as it was when it was 1st run? I don't think so!!!! Everything needs to evolve. Anyway is VMX mag limited to Pre 85 and before.

There is nothing wrong with trying to get other people along who have an interest in Vintage things but not necessarily Vintage Dirt Bikes. The CDs I have been to, I have seen Kevin Bartlett there both times. Kevin works for David Bowden who has a collect of Australian Touring Cars 2nd to none. They are somewhere on the Sunshine Coast.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 06:57:39 AM »
I think the best thing one can do to get pre 90 included at cd is to shut up about it. The owners of cd would have their own agenda and I know if it were me and people harped on about it I would dig my heels in and say no on principle. No one wants to be 'bullied' into changing something. Let it come at their pace, not yours.

TM BILL

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 07:42:59 AM »
I think the best thing one can do to get pre 90 included at cd is to shut up about it. The owners of cd would have their own agenda and I know if it were me and people harped on about it I would dig my heels in and say no on principle. No one wants to be 'bullied' into changing something. Let it come at their pace, not yours.

Well said Brad  :) 100% agree i have been to 6 of the 9 CDs so far and am happy and grateful that someone else is prepared to put on such great events .

Nothing stopping the great visionaries we get on here from running any events they want and inviting who they choose.

But please leave established events alone and let those who have proven that they are prepared to put in the hard work and take all the risks involved with running a major event get on and run it the way they see fit  :)

Offline ghostrider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 08:30:08 AM »
 Wherever it is , I agree ,  has to be supported to be successful...

Offline Branchy

• B-Grade
  • husky 400 cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2013, 09:18:01 AM »
well speaking from a group of 1970's riders and dirt bike tragics that have got back together from the hastings valley after 30 odd years we all prepared for months with bike prep , ie shed meetings and quite drinks .. ha ha ..and we all had a great time at CD 9 and the stories are still coming in , personally i cant see being able to accomodate any further classes or format , it was to say the least a spectacular event including the weather , comradery, entertainment , unbeliveable show and shine , bumping into people you used to know or have only meet over the internet and phone and the riding WOW  and we fully support it where ever it might be, issues with everything whether its location , time of the year clashing with others events are all overcome very easily by all the vmx event organisers from each state setting a rough year program then getting there heads together and nutting it out spacing events and adjusting to the conditions that presented to us. keep it up we love it just the way it is pre 85 keeps the lid on it a bit.  but in saying that if it does go pre90 keep them out there with the sponsors modern bikes on a seperate track that ends up looking like moon craters after a couple of hours and it wouldnt matter where it was we would try and get there
maybe a trip to gloucester for those boy'z really know how to throw a party ps dont mention dungog (must be some old footy rivalry)

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »

Or you could do what some have done is turn up with your post 85 and just ride it the couple of CD's I've attended there has been a number of post 85's being ridden, "The owners of CD" are either turning a blind eye or they are not up to speed on models that are being ridden at there event.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:30:37 AM by number8 »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »
Your wisdom transcends your youth Bradley 8).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
Your wisdom transcends your youth Bradley 8).

And I'll second that....

I would definitely support John O's event though. Simply for the reason of not being able to afford to go interstate every other month or so. QLD has it's "must do" events but it's a 3000km round trip for us mexicans. Victoria has HBBB but like John said, it's just too big with the road racing etc.. and it is a pre85 event with nothing to cater for juniors either.
Go for it John. 
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.