Author Topic: Honda RC250 - Jimmy Ellis' Factory Ride for 1978 Arrives Down Under in 2013  (Read 11632 times)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting up the story on the RC/CR's. It made for very interesting reading. Amazing how similar the production and works bikes were. Racing for an extra titanium part induced a good chuckle.... some great tips from the mechanics as well
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
Can always remember Jimmys nickname being Captain Cobalt in the mid 80s and wondered why they named him that.
Reading the first message explains it all.
His hometown is Cobalt, Connecticut which explains it all  :)

TM BILL

Cool story and what a great club  :)

Offline Pre85MXWA

• Novice
    • View Profile
Thanks to all for the positive responses and the information so far. Please keep it coming. The Pre85MXWA Club is very keen to help Jimmy get the RC ready for 2014! We're pretty sure even Jimmy was surprised how stock it looks. 35 years is a long time between rides...

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Cool story and what a great club
Maybe its the isolation that creates a strong club spirit, who knows, but I like the way the West Aussie clubs operate. The Vintage Motocross Club of WA has a long history of importing riders like Jeff Smith, Jimmy Aird and many more for their big events, they enthusiastically travel all over the land to attend the Nats and have a solid purely pre 75 constitution that seems to be getting stronger.  Now we have the  Pre85MXWA bringing in Jimmy's old race Honda. With all of the shit fighting and arguments over direction clubs seem to be enduring on this side of the island, the Sandgropers seem to have found the magic spirit. Good on 'em.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Great historic bike! Looks very similar to the production one.Will join Jimmy on the track at Pre85 with a 79 CR 250RZ with Fox Shox alloy swingarm etc.....My version of a factory bike.:-)
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Maybe its the isolation that creates a strong club spirit, who knows, but I like the way the West Aussie clubs operate. The Vintage Motocross Club of WA has a long history of importing riders like Jeff Smith, Jimmy Aird and many more for their big events, they enthusiastically travel all over the land to attend the Nats and have a solid purely pre 75 constitution that seems to be getting stronger.  Now we have the  Pre85MXWA bringing in Jimmy's old race Honda. With all of the shit fighting and arguments over direction clubs seem to be enduring on this side of the island, the Sandgropers seem to have found the magic spirit. Good on 'em.
I couldn't agree more Firko, I like how they embrace motocross history and promote the earlier classes not in a hurry to include new classes.
The way things are moving here a vintage meeting will soon look like a gathering of old modern bikes..

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Look at the 4th picture down this webpage.

http://www.classicmotocrossimages.com/photo_album9.1.html
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile

Cool.... Now that particular looks more like an RC. It has what looks to be different fork legs, a different front hub and the factory RC alloy swing arm. Somehow the barrel looks different as well.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
You just posted what I was about to post TBM, it has the 39mm factory forks and alloy swingarm compared to the bike Jimmy is pictured with.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
The bike Ellis is pictured with also appears to have been ridden a lot since Jim raced it and has been plastered with stickers. Factory Hondas were kept looking brand new from race to race.
Also maybe he went back to using production forks and swingarm as some of the other team riders did?

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
You just posted what I was about to post TBM, it has the 39mm factory forks and alloy swingarm compared to the bike Jimmy is pictured with.

Yeah it's totally different to the bike Jimmy is pictured with. Maybe someone along the way took all the factory parts off of it... I'd love to know where the forks are for my RC replica.....

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile

I'd love to know where the forks are for my RC replica.....
Wouldn't we all! I know where there is a set but the owner won't part with them..

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile

This pic would be of the bike in outdoor trim with the works fork & swingarm,according to the set up article some of the riders ran the stock parts for the indoors, I wonder if the swingarm was changed for quicker steering for SX, as I think, like the aftermarket arms of the day the RC ones were about 2 inches longer than stock,The tire preferences were interesting too with most going for a Metz on the steer & a Dunlop out back, Jims bike in the current pics has the cutout front plate like the Wise bike from BITD,not quite as neat a job though ;) 

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile

The bike looks pretty much the same in this pic :), There must have been lots of way different spec bikes that year :)