Author Topic: Honda RC250 - Jimmy Ellis' Factory Ride for 1978 Arrives Down Under in 2013  (Read 11628 times)

Offline Pre85MXWA

• Novice
    • View Profile
Earlier this year Jimmy Ellis mentioned that he knew where his 1978 Team Honda RC250 was but getting it across from the States was looking to be a mission.

The Pre85MXWA Club got behind Jimmy and the rest is now history! The RC has made the epic trip from Jimmy's hometown of Cobalt, Connecticut and touched down last night in Bunbury, Western Australia. Thanks to Pre85MXWA Club members and Jimmy's current sponsor Busselton Motorcycles for sorting the final leg of the journery.

We're all looking forward to seeing Jimmy and the RC on the track in 2014.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:23:04 pm by Pre85MXWA »

mainline

Jimmy seems pretty happy. The bike looks fairly well preserved.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
If that's Jimmy's RC then Team Honda weren't using anything special in the 250 class in 78. Externally it appears to be off the production line, but internally could be a different story.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
This is a pretty cool story,,,,I cant help wondering from time to time what happened to some of my old favorites??
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
can any one see any non stock parts on the bike?
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Pre85MXWA please ask the man himself what is different.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
In 1978 Honda and Yamaha were having their Factory riders race "Showroom" bikes in Supercross events.  Although they looked near stock I think you can bet the materials used to construct them were not.  I bet words like high quality chromoly, magnesium and titanium were on the build sheets back at the factory.  There was too much at stake for sales to the everyday Joe racers.  JMHO
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Is that the one that made the CYCLE front cover, the first & last 'claiming rule' bike?  Trying to remember back to the article, had exotic clutch basket and stuff inside?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
The bike that was claimed was Marty Tripes 79 RC250, quite a bit different to this one with a double cradle frame and centre port cylinder engine.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
can any one see any non stock parts on the bike?

None, apart from the fox shocks and chain rash guard.

pre85MXWA, what an awesome story. It seems you guys are working just as hard to promote pre85 as your fellow westies do with pre75. When I was over there in 2010 you guys were still struggling a bit but were all up for promotion at the 15th anniversary. Great to read a lot has progressed in 3 short years. The evolution guys are going to have their hands full now with Jimmy on the scene!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
The '78 was a strong runner, but the word FLEX (forks and swingarm) I think would be the limiting factor to have Factory talent racing them against other riders of equal talent.
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
It'd be a travesty to restore such a complete and historic bike. The sensible thing to do would be to restore it to perfect running order and clean and polish everything as best as can be done, making sure its well earned patina is preserved. The bike does look amazingly stock but T-Reds assumptions that it might be made from more exotic materials might be right. Jimmy's looking pretty good for 58 years old too.....Good work Pre85MXWA Club.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
   Great patina! i bet every mark on it has a story ;)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
We need more pictures!   ;D  Does it have and ID tag?  Jimmy's bike is listed on the 3rd page of this 1978 article.

The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Interesting article, it's good to read the different setups and preferences between the riders. From memory Ellis was a real contender for the Supercross title that year but missed out to Bob Hannah.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:42:10 pm by JohnnyO »