Author Topic: Moto Gp  (Read 10416 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Moto Gp
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 10:06:26 pm »
Those horrible caffine drinks have taken over the ciggie money....didn't they have issues at PI with the Superbikes earlier this year?....just bad decisions made by overpaid purse string money shufflers.. For what it's worth, the 3 amigo's put on a pretty good show, pity Casey wasn't in the middle, the others are not up to it....the old man  (Valentino) just embarrasses them all...I think he's 34 or something like that....power to him. I'm still over the Spanish National anthem.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 10:23:07 pm »
  the old man  (Valentino) just embarrasses them all...I think he's 34 or something like that....
How old would Colin Edwards be? It seems like he's been around for 20 years (but I know it's not that long). I wonder what drives him to keep doing it year after year without much success? Most others would have bailed out by now.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 10:27:11 pm »
  the old man  (Valentino) just embarrasses them all...I think he's 34 or something like that....
How old would Colin Edwards be? It seems like he's been around for 20 years (but I know it's not that long). I wonder what drives him to keep doing it year after year without much success? Most others would have bailed out by now.
He's 39.. He must really love racing to be a former world champ and be happy to run around at the back of the pack on a second rate bike ..!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 10:42:44 pm »
He must really love racing to be a former world champ and be happy to run around at the back of the pack on a second rate bike ..!
That's what I was thinking John. You've got to admire someone who still has the fire in his belly, knowing that there's no way he'll probably ever win another World Title even if he went back to Superbikes....                               

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 10:46:22 pm »
He's 39.. He must really love racing to be a former world champ and be happy to run around at the back of the pack on a second rate bike ..!

in motorsport is there such a thing as 'former world champ' ? Edwards won the 2000 and 2002 WSBK championships, nobody can take them away from him... it's not like boxing.. ;)

anyway i thought the whole affair was a joke, you can't blame Bridgstone as they couldn't test on the new surface, the fault is dorna's for coming up with the stupid rules in the first place.
good for spanish TV i guess... and thats the most important thing to them

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 10:57:09 pm »

in motorsport is there such a thing as 'former world champ' ? Edwards won the 2000 and 2002 WSBK championships, nobody can take them away from him...
Its a figure of speech, you can't call him world champ because he's not the current champion therefore he's a former world champ..

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 11:04:51 pm »
Its been interesting watching the riders as they wait to go out for the podium as they fill their redbullshit or monstercrap bottles with water , watch at the next podium they all do it . the interview with Westy after some promo bloke gave him a hat and tried two or three times to give him a drink bottle Ant just ignored him . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 07:40:11 am »
The FTR Kawasaki took a big jump in performance recently (pneumatic valve head) to put a privately engineered and developed machine in amoungst factory machines is far from second rate.
anyway i thought the whole affair was a joke, you can't blame Bridgstone as they couldn't test on the new surface,
If they had wanted to test they could have, Bridgestone AND Dunlop had chunking tyres caught out buy 10deg hotter temps (ambient and track) and the new surface.

Ant West is sometimes his own worst enemy.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 09:33:55 am »
Always was, had help earlier on in his career from his dad who was keen on a bit of biff...

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:56:22 am by GD66 »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Simo63

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 09:38:12 am »

I missed that part of the telecast .. what did he do?

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 04:55:16 pm »

in motorsport is there such a thing as 'former world champ' ? Edwards won the 2000 and 2002 WSBK championships, nobody can take them away from him...
Its a figure of speech, you can't call him world champ because he's not the current champion therefore he's a former world champ..

I realise this is OZ, but in the U.S. even George dubullya is still called MR President.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 07:52:38 am »

I missed that part of the telecast .. what did he do?

I didn't see it either but I think someone said he ignored the staged energy drink handover. Plenty of other good stories though. Matt Oxley's blog is a good read.
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline colmoody

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 08:05:15 pm »
Lozza,as someone whom seems to have their digit on pulse re the Moto GP caper can you give us your opinion on why if Race Direction (or whom ever) deemed that 9 to 10 laps was the safest option on rear tyres (and possably fronts) that were having serious degredation issues that they could not have run race distance and had two bike changes. 

Ditto the 600 race, only they would have only needed one bike change to go race distance.

Only thing I can think of that may have thwarted the above option is number of tyres available.

Anyone else got any ideas re the above. I would much prefer the facts but in the short term rumor and innuendo will suffice.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 08:18:26 pm »
While we're waiting for The Lozenge, I'd reckon it was because two sets of bike changes would present the possibility of twice the farce, twice the pit-lane collisions, and twice the re-entry collisions (Lorenzo/Pedrosa-turn 1-style).
And maybe twice the lap-counting ballsups...

As big a schemozzle as that race was, you didn't dare look away for a second for fear of missing the next drama : so much so, that ch 10 ran it ad-free for once !
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 10:41:12 pm »
Moto2 don't have a spare bike so couldn't do a bike swap.  Could have done a tyre change like the enduro boys I guess  ;D ;D

Bridgestone only provide the MotoGP teams with a certain number of tyres - 9. rears and 7 fronts I think for the race meet. Not enough tyres for a second bike swap I would assume. Plus it was embarrassing enough having to swap once.... :-[
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE