Author Topic: NSW Fires  (Read 8527 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
NSW Fires
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:07:16 pm »
Just got home and saw the fires up north on the TV. Anybody on here affected? J

Offline scottm

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Fires
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:26:56 pm »
Im about 1km from the Balmoral Village fire , it looks as though its heading east towards Bargo and the Hume Hwy, a lot cooler but winds turned from the south, so wait and see, thanks for you thoughts on a terrible day around Sydney, and no one has lost life the most important

regards Scott
pre 84 thank you very much

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:45:18 pm »
All familiar names on the ABC at the moment.Nepean River ,Penrith,Raymond Terrace, Lithgow.
really amazing so little injuries or fatalities.
Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:55:35 pm »
The sky here was what I thought Armageddon might look like this arvo. It was a dark smoky beige and it was quite freaky despite my being 20k's from the Springwood fire. I was driving into Penrith on dusk and I could see the fires glowing all along the mountain ridge up towards Springwood. When I came out of Nepean hospital at around 8pm my black Jeep was covered in white ash making it look like a big Lamington. I've got friends in that part of the world so I hope they're OK. I'll call 'em when its less traumatic.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:58:18 pm »
It's hard to believe there are so many fires happening in NSW and summer is still over a month away. It must be dry up there at the moment.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:06:24 pm »
Fires have gone through Medowie, that's vmx unlimited territory. From what I read on here the last thing he needs is a fire after his health scare recently.

Someone who knows him should make contact, he may need a hand.
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 11:59:37 pm »
That thought had also crossed my mind, as well as concern for others and friends in that area.
all arterial roads were closed anyhow.

The good news is that the fireries now have it under control there at the moment, with no further loss of property.
They have just reopened several of the main roads in that region so residents can return to their homes.

Can't help feeling for those who have lost all home and property in the many other fires today through out the country, goes without saying we all are hopefully no lives will end up in the count.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:17:49 am by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:56:09 am »
Les's house does not back on to the bush.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 06:34:25 am »
The video on the news reminded me of the Canberra fires a decade ago. It was an awesome experience to see the sky darken at midday - the afternoon was a murky smoky time with red glows and ash and sparking embers aloft. At one stage I drove into the local shopping area and there were fires everywhere - as Firko said, it looked like Armageddon. So I can certainly imagine how it must be for those affected yesterday.

I am surprised by how quickly it happened and how bad it is. It's been warm but that happens. It's been dry too, but not THAT dry. I can only imagine that the wetter conditions of the past few years has seen a buildup in fuel loads?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:26:28 am »
Watching Channel 9's coverage of the Winmalee/Springwood fire this morning, they interviewed long time vintage CZ racer Peter Meehan's wife Yvonne. She's a very articulate woman and she beautifully described how the fire rushed up their street and how fast it took hold of nearly all of the homes in the street. She told how Peter had worked on the bucket and garden hose brigade with their neighbours to try and save their homes. Luckily Yvonne and Pete's house was on the "right" side of the street and was saved from burning. Nearly every other house in the street was wiped out. She went on to praise the great work the bush fireys and the neighbours did in trying to save their little bit of bush paradise. Peter is still out there, bucket in hand helping to keep the fire at bay.

* Peter has a great collection of CZ's including a rare 1976 250 works bike so his and his neighbours hard work helped save a little bit of VMX history.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:39:10 am »
I have people up on the Central coast area. They are ok for now but if the weather turns nasty again, that could change in a hurry. It's hard to imagine how such densely populated areas can ignite into flames at any given moment. Lets hope all turns for the better.
And lets also hope the greenies allow the fire fighters access to some of the bushland spaces to do control burns.
Having lived in NSW for most of my life and being a trail rider opened the eyes to some of the stupidity that goes on in the bush. Glass bottles smashed on the ground. Dumped cars. Areas used as rubbish tips. And the real biggie for me, locked gates across access tracks that even the fire fighters don't have keys to. And some of the gates are constructed out of very serious steel beams with no access for boltcutters or the like to get to the lock. Then there's the huge boulders the national parks mob push onto tracks to stop vehicle access. None of it makes any sense. And most urbanites wouldn't have a clue what the state of the bush in their backyard is like, hence the ease with which the greenies can get away with locking up areas they deem need locking up!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 10:28:40 am »
Les's house does not back on to the bush.

No, but the front of Les's place is directly opposite a large allotment of very tall natural eucalyptus bushland and dense lower undergrowth scrub,
with a medium strip of large trees that most of us park under.

This mornings website update is listed as out of control for that very road, "Ferodale Road" and
is down wind of the change in wind direction last evening.
I don't know where the fire is in Ferodale road though??

A small petrol powered water pump stashed at Les's joint would be a good asset, particularly given the large swimming pool a few feet away in his neighbours place.

I read and downloaded the volunteer application forms Whilst on the rural fire services website.
I can work well in a kitchen.
Can legally and competently service all of their equipment.
Had extensive fire training in the petroleum industry and others.

I actually feel a bit ashamed that it has taken till now before I have put my hand up,
better late than never, and I will be a good asset to their team.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 12:36:21 pm »
Poor Herb has to miss Canowindra as he is stuck in the middle of it at Gwandalan,  :(
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline g465b

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 10:35:34 am »
two air crane water bombing helicopters were transported by antonov cargo plane from NZ to NSW to help out with the fires.
why is it after ash wednesday and black saturday and the fires that happen EVERY year that the govt. still doesnt have a fleet of these things and a few of the "elvis"water bombing planes in each state. (deleted descriptive abuse of past and present govt.)
someone will write a report later-hooray.     g

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 12:56:38 pm »
And attention to this quote!

And lets also hope the greenies allow the fire fighters access to some of the bushland spaces to do control burns.
Having lived in NSW for most of my life and being a trail rider opened the eyes to some of the stupidity that goes on in the bush. Glass bottles smashed on the ground. Dumped cars. Areas used as rubbish tips. And the real biggie for me, locked gates across access tracks that even the fire fighters don't have keys to. And some of the gates are constructed out of very serious steel beams with no access for boltcutters or the like to get to the lock. Then there's the huge boulders the national parks mob push onto tracks to stop vehicle access. None of it makes any sense. And most urbanites wouldn't have a clue what the state of the bush in their backyard is like, hence the ease with which the greenies can get away with locking up areas they deem need locking up!

Lightning strikes and such have burnt our dried out country forever, long before our indigenous realised the importance of it.

Cost cutting bureaucrats are only to happy to yeild to Greenies if it eases their yearly budget.
Greenies like to use science when it suits them, yet science proves our native Flora have evolved with and depend on fire.
Most introduced weeds are unable to gain a foot hold when subjected to regular back burns.

You don't have to back-burn the whole country, just buffers around inhabited areas and dependent infrastructure.

Prevention is way better than any cure for this horror. Back-burning provides a controlled opportunity for training and equipment evaluation. Therefore a better preparedness.
Government and Insurance bead counters wouldn't like to contribute to such preventative measures for sure,
  But how much cheaper for them and our entire community would that option look now!

This neglect of our bureaucrats is inhumane. Time to hold these side steppers accountable >:(
Or, just sit back and accept that what could be mostly preventable horror and tragedy, is instead just a way of life or death,,,,,
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:34:06 pm by Mick D »