Author Topic: IMPORTANT, please read! This could sound the death knell for many small clubs  (Read 13748 times)

Simo63

I wonder what the thinking is behind this seemingly silly idea? it doesn't make a lot of sense from where I sit but they must have some plan bubbling away under the surface.

Got a few theories but nothing I will post here that's for sure.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
So, now I have been following this since lunch and it seems none of us are any the wiser??except Davey Crocket who seems to know more than he is letting on.
I think the divide and defeat thing is on the cards....nasty little club members getting together in huddles, working against the mighty rulers!!!
But then again, while I was in Europe we didn't need to be a 'club' member to get the all poering FIM licence. I did wonder how small French clubs managed to put on "international" events and even if it all fell over from rain or something, they could still pay start money out and pleasently ask all to 'come back next year' . Must have had good finacial support somewhere.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
I know I might be the only one who see's this as a step forward.
Really in this day and age why must you be a club member just to get a MA License ( you will still need to join a club to ride club days)
MA should now be able to hopefully remove another obstacle to online quick and easy License application. Sorry guys but I like this idea. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
FAIR POINT!!

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
MA should now be able to hopefully remove another obstacle to online quick and easy License application. Sorry guys but I like this idea.

Sorry Slakewell, but after you get this license who's running all the events that you then want to ride at? 

This idea is good on one level only -easier and cheaper for riders.

It is so wrong on all other levels i couldn't be bothered typing them all, but here's just a couple that may not be so obvious:

- Our club also runs Trials and Enduro and Vintage, nearly all these events are bigger than club days as there isn't enough members to warrant running club events.  Who in future will run these if these riders do not need to be part of a club?

- It seems the idea is suited toward encouraging new people into racing, yet these newbies can then step straight into serious competition events - shouldn't it start the other way round?

Actually it is good on two levels - but the second is very short sighted aimed at plugging a big hole.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
I am not up to date with MA (thankfully) as I once was but are not 80% of events run either club or inter-club events both of which you need to be a member of the club? 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
I think Slakewell is right. The only real difference it will make is for riders who ONLY ride open events - which would be a tiny number of people.
Everyone else needs to join a club to get a ride - net outcome is the same.

Arguably it will reward the clubs who run events.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
I am also struggling to see any real downside to this. To me all it will do is remove a level of bureaucracy which can't be that bad.  ;)

Club's will still run member only events or practice days at their track or interclubs with others. Sure the pro's who only ride at opens and nationals etc wont need to be a club member but that would be insignificant to the majority of clubs.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
What I hope can happen from this change.
1) I can go online fill out a questioner and give my card details and receive the license of my choice in the mail within 72 hours.
2) I believe that can boost license rider numbers
3) These guys will want somewhere to race and the numbers you say you will loose might be the numbers you gain. ( swings and merryogorounds doesn't matter how you get it as long as you do)

I have a passionate distrust of MA so I don't endorse this easily please refer the to the first sentence with the word HOPE.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
I'm with Davey Crocket, something's in the wind.  :(
also
Mr Barra,hoping the local small club committee's dont have to do work for it. Long live the Lamington Drive  :-X
Im off back to the CCM pages  :D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:06:26 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
It won't change anything. 
They stuffed the club system when they set up the Club, Interclub & open system and then made open events so hard to run. Club's started to use memberships as a revenue stream and only run club days instead of interclub.  Now riders join so many clubs they don't feel like a member of any.  They basically do the Club day circuit.           
I would be surprised if there is any riders on here that is a member of only one club. 

All it is, they don't want to have to check for a club endorsement.
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
All it is, they don't want to have to check for a club endorsement.

I hope your right as it is the only way to move forward to on line licensing.

Most riders will never understand or ever need to know how the political structure of MA works ( or doesn't )
Until someone does better than previous attempts to amalgamate the system basically were Flucked IMO 
This is one political systems that need state bodies like need they a hole to pour money down.  :-[
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:20:27 pm by Slakewell »

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
The one major floor in this is that when you have to join a club to race, you do (if by choice or not ) get involved in the politics of the club/s. You get to vote at AGMs etc...but also you get to think, 'yes I can help out' or 'no I don't need to get involved'. You can get real keen if you want and become a politician (club captain/secretary/treasurer etc... you might even get to drive a water truck (just before the sidecars come out)
All these things are there if you think it will make a difference and if you don't need to join a club you may never find that out and the sport will suffer.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
having a MA licence and being a club member dont need to go hand in hand, you will just see more closed to club events.

if it is what it is, it might even release the clubs of some internal work.

I dont think it's a problem, but we will have to wait and see.

Cheers worms

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
follow the money guys.

ma licence is what? an insurance cover...

where does that and club membership crossover?

look at vinduro.. lots of 1 day licences...casual attitudes to the sport,

I think ma see a lot of potential to sign up 1 dayers by removing the club issue.

modern life means to a lot of people, not enough time to be a full active clubbie but still ride 6 events a year without getting divorced.