Author Topic: IMPORTANT, please read! This could sound the death knell for many small clubs  (Read 13743 times)

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
IMPORTANT, please read! This could sound the death knell for many small clubs & ultimately our sport.

MA in it's infinite wisdom has decide that you no longer need to be a member of a club to get a race licence. As unfor...tunate as it is up to 75% of a club's membership will be for that very reason.

What happens to series such as the Western Region where a rider has to be a member of one of the clubs in the region? Will this veto that? Or will the events Sub regs allow us to determine who rides?

I know there will be some who think this is great, making it cheaper to race/ride but trust me, ultimately you wil have no where to ride as more & more clubs fold taking with them their tracks. Again, trust me on this. Once a track is closed, it will not re-open! Whether you think it's a good idea or not clubs will not be able to survive without that income.

So please go here;

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/motorcycling-australia-revoke-decision-br2403

and sign the petition & stop this rot.

MV has approached most, if not all, clubs in Vic & ALL the other state bodies & there is a 100% stand against this.

A short term gain (Cheaper to get licence) will result in long term pain.

Also please contact MV direct (Ph. 03 9673 0600, Email; [email protected]) a pledge your support but more importantly contact MA (Ph. 1800 564 662, Email; [email protected]) and remind those Aholes that they are employed by us to administrate this sport on our behalf. We are their boss, not the other way round. Let them know in no uncertain terms that we won't stand for this!

Perko
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
That's shite...as you say, the end of clubs as we know of them.
What could be the thinking behind this?? Divide and defeat??
Need to read it again and follow it up.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Well, well, well....I could add some more damaging information to this, but for now will think about it.....BIG BROTHER is coming to town.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
I tried to vote but wont except my vote

Simo63

That is terrible news.  I am struggling to believe MA would even consider that?  Surely they know the lifeblood of all clubs is the membership?  Without the membership you don't have the clubs and without the clubs you don't have the committment and resources to run the events (eg free volunteers).  Ultimately without the clubs the sport will crumble.

Oh well .. if we don't have clubs then we probably won't need the State governing bodies .. and if we don't have them then MA probably becomes irrelevant as well.  So not all bad maybe  ::)

But seriously, you have to ask yourself why they would do such a thing?

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
I guess we have to 'move with the times', riders are bitching about how much it all costs to get a race licence, well I guess MA have just cut-out one payment?

At our club (Mitchell Recreational Motorcycle Club) we run monthly ride days at a Motocross track, the only way you can ride at our days is to be a member of our club, see there are many other ways to entice riders into your club, rather than blackmailing them to join just to get a licence.

Although I remember back in the early days,  the club secretary would have to vouch for the ability of the person applying for a licence, not that that happens anymore.

From experience I've learned that MA has done some arse-about things over the years, and even though this rule may be just to help their money-grabbing plight, it might just be a good thing?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
You are still gunna have to be a memmber of the club organising the event or a member of an invitied club.

Unless MA is going to start running race meetings themselves, and that will mean WORK  ;)
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Viper666

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
Although I remember back in the early days,  the club secretary would have to vouch for the ability of the person applying for a licence, not that that happens anymore.

As a level 1 coach I do the Kickstart program & log book signing for our Juniors free of charge (Keeping costs down) but also for first time seniors, or seniors that not held a licence in the past 12 months, they have to do a written test & I have to sign off on their riding ability. How will this happen if they don't have to be a member of a club? Sure you can do the written test on line but who "vouches" for your riding ability? We also offer free coaching days to our Juniors as well. Some L1 coaches will take advantage of this to make a buck. If I remember rightly I can charge $33 per person & take up to 6 at a time. Two session a day, 2 days in a weekend = $792 & I can get a permit from MA to run it on anyones land. That's just Juniors, for seniors I could probably squeeze in 10 sessions a day.

we run monthly ride days at a Motocross track, the only way you can ride at our days is to be a member of our club

So do we

rather than blackmailing them to join just to get a licence.

We don't "blackmail" anyone, (Poor choice of words, me thinks heh John?) it is just a fact of life that many members, ours at least, are there just to get their licence & fullfil their obligation of being a club member. This is why we are one of the few clubs (Two I think, don't quote me) that still requires new members to be officially welcomed into the club at a Thursday night meeting. It has cost us many members over the years but we feel it's important for all members to show some committment to the club. Many argued it was too far for them to come just to join but they were willing to travel that distance, and more in the case of PonyX/Enduros, to ride so why not once to join?

Personally I am sick of MA's bloody mindedness. Look at the MX track rule, sorry, guideline changes. 7 metre minimum width, flag marshalpoint 3 metres from the track etc. This is OK for tracks that are flat, you just kick the tyres out a bit further and add some dirt to the jumps but Monza would need $10-20,000 worth of mods to comply and for what? So we can host a Vic title and may make a profit of $5000? The last big change we did to Monza cost the club about $45,000. We still have not recouped that money. This was the 40 gate, 6 metre rule. I asked the then inspectors how long before the rules would change again? Nope, this is the last time I was told. TWO YEARS LATER NEW RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough's, enough. Admittedly not all that was spent to comply with the new rules, there were other upgrades done to ammenities, watering system & such but we thought let's do it once & do it properly.

Yes I have stayed off point but I am showcasing the ignorance of this organisation to the common clubs which they are entrusted to govern.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:25:54 pm by Viper666 »
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

Offline Viper666

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
You are still gunna have to be a memmber of the club organising the event or a member of an invitied club.

Unless MA is going to start running race meetings themselves, and that will mean WORK

Not for Opens, Vic Titles & Nats

But yes you will, my understanding, be able to govern club, interclub & regions through the sub regs.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Seems like a bloody big/risky change to put through without widespread consultation.

I wonder - but don't pretend to know - if they're figuring that clubs will pick up the memberships through closed-to-club events, rather than forcing people to join simply to get a licence?

This rule would have made no difference to me in any year that I've competed.
In 2011, I was a member of five clubs and still had to buy a couple of day memberships...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
The tracks remaining would be the tax/license payer funded tracks like QLD Moto Park. Costs would sky rocket and the choice of racing types and access would be limited.

I see very little of the motorcycling industry supporting the customers they supply? Except mx, but there should be state and national competition rounds in as many disciplines as there are in every other sport! With $4 Billion turnover in 2012/2013 there must be some that could go to clubs, racers etc??????

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
think Ma's done number crunching,i'm guessing targeting trackday riders,(fugging 1000's of them  :o),i'm thinking average club fees ,well what i'm in is $25-$30,only in 3 this year  ::),thats the kicker for racing club 'daze',big deal,it's our passion,fwiw i just renewed my senior nat licence(with 1 race # $20) + $5 cc fee =$315,thank you very much, :P
ps when one "club rule" went out the window,so did the HRR ,MCRC struggles,bearing in mind for (eastern creek)track 'daze' riders don't even need bike licence,car licence suffices??,get that up ya  :o
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:06:21 pm by matcho mick »
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
 Couple of thoughts, at this seemingly early stage,

Is this one way of cutting back the preponderance of 'restricted' type meetings in an effort to force more reliance on 'open' meetings?

Is this a way of getting major sponsorship for these big 'open' meetings that M.A. hopes will happen? (less frequently but bigger)

Is this a way of seperating riders from each other? (through no club camaraderie)

That one sounds like little Johnnies 'work choices'

Does this mean that the situation of riders being selected by promoters will be back in vogue like the old speedway days where newbies couldn't get a go?

Will this lead to M.A.s self destruction with no controlling bodies at all? 

Lots of 'black' meetings?

Pancho

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Is this one way of cutting back the preponderance of 'restricted' type meetings in an effort to force more reliance on 'open' meetings?

It kind of does the opposite? I think!?

Currently, clubs have a pretty healthy revenue stream from memberships.
Running club-only days are cheaper/easier than Open events, and they encourage new memberships.
Running Open events only makes sense if they're bigger events that are intended to attract non-locals.

If you don't need to be a member of any club to get a licence, the club-only days don't change - and "force" people into joining to get a ride, which will largely end up being the memberships you didn't get when people renewed their licence.
But running an Open event doesn't provide any incentive for people to join any club - all of this encourages clubs to run more club-only events, doesn't it?!

My head hurts.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
I wonder what the thinking is behind this seemingly silly idea? it doesn't make a lot of sense from where I sit but they must have some plan bubbling away under the surface.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha