Author Topic: What bikes are eligible for what classes  (Read 68798 times)

oldfart

Re: What bikes are eligible for what classes
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2013, 08:40:14 am »
Obviously they have not read  the eligibility rules then  ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2013, 09:05:40 am »
What's your take on Simons USDs on Evo bikes, Firko?
Legal or not?
No Evo bikes came out with USD forks so not legal. I can see this is going to get very messy if you start including anything that was available pre 1985 just because Husky still made twinshock bikes.

They were an aftermarket part that didn't come on any bike. Presumably that means the Fox and Simons RWU forks are also illegal for Evo?

Is it fair to limit Evo to bikes that are pre-1985? It seems to be what everyone thinks, but nobody has really said it yet.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:11:16 am by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2013, 09:17:53 am »
What's your take on Simons USDs on Evo bikes, Firko?
Legal or not?
No Evo bikes came out with USD forks so not legal. I can see this is going to get very messy if you start including anything that was available pre 1985 just because Husky still made twinshock bikes.

They were an aftermarket part that didn't come on any bike. Presumably that means the Fox and Simons RWU forks are also illegal for Evo?
This is what pisses me off, when you start with these scenarios. Just use common sense with what was around and used in the day.
My way of thinking is that Evo is basically the 78-81 period, Husky made Twinshock bikes til 84 but they were 81 technology and way behind the 8 ball compared to the rest of the manufacturers.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2013, 09:24:57 am »
Ok. I do understand the rule of all parts must be from a air cooled, drum braked, non linkage bike. Easy peasy.

But, and this is bound to incite some into a fit of rage and condemnation, BACK to my question about CR250RZ with 43mm forks with TLS, why can I fit the Yamaha fork and brake but not the RB honda when they are both Non adjustabe drum brake front ends?. Surely this should work in with the carry over rule or no performance advantage rules or something alike.

I have the original front end but we all know they aren't much better than aldente' spaghetti. I simply wanted to bring my CR up to spec with the Yamaha front end but using Honda OEM parts. I also have a Yamaha front end but am loath to use it on a Honda. Someone restoring an IT might need the Yamaha fork one day.

I thought it would only be logical that if the Yamaha, that is Evolution legal with 43mm forks and TLS, then it should also be acceptable for the Honda to run the same. Yes, I agree, the Honda fork came from 1982 that had a linkage rear suspension, but it is, for all purpose, exactly the same as the Yamaha fork and brake. Perhaps there is different valving, but that's a mod that most of us do anyway.

Perhaps Nathan could include a line in his revamped rules for Evolution;
 " Or similar parts that offer no performance gain over what was available from another manufacturer in the period" or along those lines?

If I had the chance to own a set of Simmons or Fox factory Forx they would go on the bike. The expense and rarity of these parts is a deciding factor for me though.

Don't get me wrong please. I'm not trying to fudge the system, it's just some of the rulings appear to me to be about as clear as mud.

Cheers,
Mark

Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2013, 09:33:51 am »
TBM,
I just wonder if there are some other advantages that the Rz has over the yz like maybe a ligter frame (just saying). Then you would be wanting the best of both worlds...
I really don't have a vested interest as i race club level Classic DT only. Believe me there is enough changes to keep up with there also now classic seems to be pre 90, a 75 RM"S" model bike has to run against 89 models
Brett
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:39:00 am by oldyzman »
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2013, 09:35:10 am »
Where do Skunkworks front & rear suspension linkages fit into all this?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2013, 09:42:59 am »
TBM,
I just wonder if there are some other advantages that the Rz has over the yz like maybe a ligter frame (just saying). Then you would be wanting the best of both worlds...
I really don't have a vested interest as i race club level Classic DT only. Believe me there is enough changes to keep up with there also now classic seems to be pre 90, a 75 RM"S" model bike has to run against 89 models
Brett

Hahahaha. Yes, I do want the best of both worlds  ;D

Could it be argued the Yamaha frame is more rigid than the Honda frame?

Ooops  ::)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2013, 09:47:05 am »
TBM if you start bending the rules to allow pre 85 forks then people are going to argue that you should be able to use pre 85 drum brake wheels and pre 85 air cooled motors and so on, it won't just stop at the forks.
By the way RB forks are 41mm, RC & RD are 43..

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2013, 09:51:58 am »
Where do Skunkworks front & rear suspension linkages fit into all this?
John I think Skunkworks was around 1975 so I would say it fits into pre 78.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2013, 09:55:17 am »
If you want to gain an unfair advantage in EVO racing and be vastly superior to you fellow competitors.

Learn how to jet your bike correctly or pay someone to do it for you. The amount of badly jetted bikes out there must run about 90%.
Loss 10KG. Buy new tryes. 
You be building new trophy shelves in no time.  ;)
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2013, 10:01:24 am »
TBM if you start bending the rules to allow pre 85 forks then people are going to argue that you should be able to use pre 85 drum brake wheels and pre 85 air cooled motors and so on, it won't just stop at the forks.
By the way RB forks are 41mm, RC & RD are 43..

If it written as so in the rules Johnny, then there can be no bending of the rules.

IE

* A simple rule on forks * A simple rule on engines * A Simple rule on frames and components etc..

I'm not suggesting to Allow pre85 parts in Evo but more a "similar with no advantage" type of ruling.

Thanks for the info regarding the difference between RB and RC forks. I didn't realise that. My forks must be RC then.

At the end of the day, I won't be at the pointy end racing Evo anyway so I guess I won't take it to any championship type event. I like the RC look of the bike and I don't want to change it back to stock. I'll take it to next VCM event at Pakenham and guage if there is any objection to me riding it at club days.

Cheers,
Mark

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2013, 10:15:58 am »
If the rules get rewritten Mark that's a definite possibility. In the early days of Evo I was racing a CR250RA with a CR480 front end.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2013, 10:24:54 am »
If you want to gain an unfair advantage in EVO racing and be vastly superior to you fellow competitors.

Learn how to jet your bike correctly or pay someone to do it for you. The amount of badly jetted bikes out there must run about 90%.
Loss 10KG. Buy new tryes. 
You be building new trophy shelves in no time.  ;)

Hahahaha. Point taken  :D I could lose a bit more than 10kg, thats for sure. If only I could stay away from the beer fridge that would be an advantage as well, even though I'd have to take valium or the like to put up with the world!

You're absolutely spot on with the badly jetted bikes too. I notice heaps of them. Personally, I don't have a problem timing or jetting a bike.
I always have good tyres on my race bikes. Just like I always have a decent pair of footpegs too. Worn tyres go in the "trailbike" section of the shed. Problem is I don't ride the Husaberg enough.....

I wasn't looking for an unfair advantage. I could hardly be labelled a trophy collector, I need to be a bit faster for that to happen. And the end of the day, I really only attend the nats to ride a different track. I enjoy that aspect of it. I just questioned as to whether or not my bike would comply within the rules as they are stated at the moment as I don't want to piss anybody orf on the start line or be labelled a cheat IF, and it is a very big IF, I happen to do well.

I want to ride the bike as it is and have something different for people to look at. I enjoy the praise I get for the bikes I build. Makes me feel like I don't waste my shed time. And I get a real buzz from fangin around on a bike I cobbled together.

Cheers

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2013, 10:31:03 am »
If the rules get rewritten Mark that's a definite possibility. In the early days of Evo I was racing a CR250RA with a CR480 front end.

That's it in a nutshell Johnny. Unfortunately, I missed the good days of VMX when the grids were full and everything was a bit more relaxed rule wise.

Cheers

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2013, 10:53:24 am »

That's it in a nutshell Johnny. Unfortunately, I missed the good days of VMX when the grids were full and everything was a bit more relaxed rule wise.

Cheers
The good old days have returned to Qld, full grids and the only protest in sight is on this forum..
I used to travel to NSW and Vic every year to race vmx but those states have lost the plot as leaders of the vmx scene and are a mere shadow of their former selves.