Author Topic: What bikes are eligible for what classes  (Read 68824 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: What bikes are eligible for what classes
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2013, 09:32:51 pm »
I have an Evo bike, can I get 20 other volunteers to join me Saturday morning at CD10. I vote we stake Nathan out on the top sweeper of the MX track and we'll all line up and give him a damn good Evo roosting!  ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2013, 09:39:53 pm »
The day you roost me Graeme, I'll have to retire.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2013, 09:48:59 pm »
I also note the way that when you ask a question without an agenda (http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=30510.0 and http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=30529.0) responses are hard to come by.
But when there's conflict, we get to eleven pages in two days...

;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:58:29 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2013, 09:50:16 pm »
Don't poke your eyes out yet Brad.....you'll be on the commission.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2013, 10:01:11 pm »
I did say we'd stake you out Nathan. That should level the playing field.

Seriously, I hope you follow through with a proposal for amending the rules. I can't imagine it's that much of a minefield, but I agree, the way the rules are written at present it's all very loose. Look forward to a tighter version in 2014.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2013, 10:03:20 pm »
I thought the rule was that if the bike, or parts that you might want to use, came from a twin shock (or monoshock in the case of a Yamaha) bike that was originally aircooled and ran drum brakes ... all as standard OEM equipment, then you could run the bike or the parts.

If it didn't then you can't

Isn't that simple??

That's it in a nutshell. All this bullshit about Yamaha backing plates and the like is just confusing the situation. Every time I see the claim " it offers no advantage so it should be allowed" I cringe.
Stick to the written rules and Evo is the easiest set of rules to follow in motor racing. As soon as the parameters are fudged, it falls in a shit heap. Go Wabbits.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2013, 10:05:20 pm »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2013, 10:27:07 pm »
What's your take on Simons USDs on Evo bikes, Firko?
Legal or not?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2013, 10:38:12 pm »
Legal or not?
No Evo bikes came out with USD forks so not legal. I can see this is going to get very messy if you start including anything that was available pre 1985 just because Husky still made twinshock bikes.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2013, 11:27:08 pm »
What sort of fork Brad? A dinky little desert fork or a big salad type? Hmmm, how many tines are legal for a EVO eye poking? Can you use a 4 tine modified to a 3 tine? Maybe later forks have a wider handle - can I grind it down to replicate the forks that were in my nanna's setting? Is a Fondue fork too light to make the minimum weight for EVO eye poke?  :-\
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2013, 02:56:14 am »
Legal or not?
To answer the question I need to catch a time machine back to an era when air cooled, drum braked non linkage bikes were the state of the art motocross fodder and see if Simons USD forks were available to the public at that time. Because there are no actual date cutoffs for Evo and because Simons forks didn't come as standard equipment on anything I'd have to say that any aftermarket equipment like Simons forks would have to be sold prior to the advent of the first of the linkaged bikes, ie 1979 or 1980 which I presume precedes the release of Simons USD forks. So, in a nutshell....not legal.

A simple way of solving the problem would be to make a wording amendment to the Evo rules that could read "Conventional forks only, maximum diameter 43mm." The "All components will be of the period the machine was manufactured" line should be changed to " All major components must originate from or be manufactured for drum brake, air cooled non linkaged machines".
Major components are by definition:
*Engine and external aftermarket engine accessories.
*Frame, both OEM and aftermarket,
*Brake hubs and backing plates
*forks
*Tank, mudguards, seat and other bodywork.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:00:07 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2013, 04:09:47 am »
A simple way of solving the problem would be to make a wording amendment to the Evo rules that could read "Conventional forks only, maximum diameter 43mm."

After reading this thread I'm not clear on what your Evo target period is but it sounds like Thorwaldson "Thorks"  and Ribi link forks (both used in 1979) would be "of the period" so link forks shouldn't be excluded by the front suspension rule assuming that teleforks are the only type of fork around.

If you want to limit teleforks then I suggest you word that as "Telescopic forks must be of the conventional type (sliders attached to axle, stanchions to the steering head)  . . ." 

Speaking of "not a telefork" the late Ollie McKagen's funny front end (FFE) patent was filed in July 1985, and he had prototypes (like his little Honda single) running before that date:

http://www.eurospares.com/mckagen/hoyt004a3.jpg

http://www.eurospares.com/mckagen/hoyt001a5.jpg

I looked through some of the old emails from him and didn't spot a mention of when the first prototype was built, and he's no longer available to ask him about it.  Considering the time it can take to prepare to file a patent after doing proof of concept testing it seems likely that the prototype is from 1983/84.

cheers,
Michael

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2013, 07:35:26 am »
Firko dont forget the 44mm Fox forks that were available in 1980. The biggest problem with Nathan playing with the rules is that he wasnt racing back in the era of Evo bikes and he has to ask other people for info and that's where it gets sketchy.
I raced the bikes back in the day and have raced Evo since its inception in '96 and have a bloody good memory of what was around. The rules have worked well and dont need major changes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:57:28 am by JohnnyO »

oldfart

« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2013, 07:49:27 am »
It's not broken so don't fark with it ...... in 99.9 % of cases it works well how it is and easy to understand.
Once again the eligibility rules are quite clear. 

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2013, 08:34:55 am »
The idea Firko and JohnnyO is to get Nathan to re-write them with everyones input so that this type of BS is finished...things like later 43mm forks with the lug in the wrong place are not legal period.....Rusty and everyone else will have to get the correct 250/465H forks for there twin leader brake.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.