Author Topic: 2013 Classic MX Championships Cancelled  (Read 45016 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Classic MX Championships Cancelled
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2013, 12:49:46 pm »
I've been away from the sport as a rider and/or entrant since the 07 Coffs Nats so I was looking towards the Kumagutza event with renewed vigor and enthusiasm. Because my worn out old body prevents me from racing motocross any more I was sponsoring a West Aussie brother and sister on my DT1MX and Boyd and Stellings TM400 and Tony Clarke from Bendigo on my Cheney Yamaha 360 for pre 70 and excitedly looking towards the pit boss role 8).
 I'm genuinely disappointed that the meeting has fallen on its arse at the 11th hour and even more disappointed that it seems from what I read on here, that I may have had something to do with the meetings demise as I was one of those evil bastards who dared to question whether the track would come up to scratch. I'll cop it on the chin if my criticism of the track (at the time) was a genuine factor leading up to the demise of the meeting but if the club is looking for scapegoats to blame for their own shortcomings I won't be quite so accepting. At the time I showed concern as the track really was atrocious, and I was one of many that were quietly concerned.  I became less worried upon seeing the You Tube vid of the track after some work, I believed then as did everyone else that everything was back on track. How wrong I was. And no, it wasn't me or anyone I know that allegedly dobbed the club in to MA.

I'm going out the shed to get the bikes set up for the DT Nats. It's all we've got left ::)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:41:06 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 03:33:36 pm »
why not run it as a state title instead.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 04:53:46 pm »
Firko, don't beat yourself up about it, the 3 commissioners all read whats on this forum, they know whats going on and if I remember correctly months ago, people where trying to contact the club for information about the event to no avail and I think that along with peoples worries about the state/condition of the track as to be safe and ready in time is what got the 3 amigo's involved. They would have had to pass MA guidelines anyway so maybe the club decided it was too hard? I don't know?, but for anyone on this forum to blame the forum or any person on it as to the demise of the event is absurd. I think what Nathan said about the club/s fighting (dirt track/MX) may have something to do with it, afterall, last years Dirt Track Nats wasn't a sqeaky clean, no drama's affair and out of respect was kept of this forum.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2013, 05:16:39 pm »
maybe the club decided it was too hard? I don't know?, but for anyone on this forum to blame the forum or any person on it as to the demise of the event is absurd. I think what Nathan said about the club/s fighting (dirt track/MX) may have something to do with it

I reckon so. I haven't paid too much attention to the nats but it seems to me the initial reaction to the ridiculous entry fees gave a warning. Obviously MA jump in with glee for any nats (or state titles for that matter) and rape and pillage with additional fees for who knows what ? But it looked as though the club hadn't thought or attempted to secure any outside sponsorship to defray these extra (and no doubt crippling) costs and by golly the riders were gunna pay for the lot. Using the track preparation as a reason is a major cop-out, track guidelines haven't changed and are readily available, and with still a couple of months to go there's plenty of time to knock up a vmx-friendly track anywhere and even hold a small, low-key test event there.
As DC has pointed out, the rattlings on this forum are merely that : something similar happened with the historic roadrace nats at Winton in 2006, the Classic Motorcycling Australia forum burst into flames with all sorts of tales of doom and gloom, hints at skulduggery and threats, but when the meeting came NOTHING happened as a result. To suggest that the forum carries weight with those making decisions and caused them to bail out is fanciful in the extreme. But if it's been caused by an internal rift, I think the club should come clean and publish the real reason.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2013, 05:35:30 pm »
Would be great if the heaven club could run it at buladelah ;) top track and heaps of room for camping , great for spectators to watch.
and only 5mins from the town ship of buladelah for motels etc.
One hour north of Newcastle. 8)

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2013, 06:07:52 pm »
The sooner we get away from MA the better, there are a couple of local clubs up here in South QLD that have done so and they wish they had done it years ago, they are finally more financial, double there membership and entries, improved there facilities beyond anything they could have before, just a pitty more clubs don't do the same.
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2013, 06:15:09 pm »
No argument here. MA's main threat is that they repeatedly say nobody else will match their insurance : how many have tried to shop around and match or better it ? Presumably only AASA, don't know much about them except they arrived with a hiss and a roar as a proposed saviour, and ended up being mostly Winton-centric. From my dealings with the Ronke crew, I felt it was better left untested, but probably a suit with a clue and some time on his hands might be persuaded to do the exercise : I have always felt MA's insurance threat to be a bluff, and that they relied on motorcycle racers to do what they've always done : not be bothered checking.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2013, 06:49:43 pm »
AASA buys their insurance from the same broker in London as CAMS, AMSAG (and presumably MA).
The cost of adequate insurance is hard to avoid, regardless of who you get it through.
In the case of AASA vs CAMS, CAMS is a bloated organisation* with far too many suckling on its teat, and is ridiculously risk-adverse for a motorsport sanctioning body, and an obsession with control. And poor customer service (although they've gotten a lot better in recent times).

For these reasons, it is easy for AASA to offer a superior product to CAMS.
I know lots of people love to hate MA, but MA's sins are far less - presumably this would make MA's product closer to AASA's?

I've had a bit to do with AASA, and have no hesitation in saying that they would be worth a phone call. They tend to say "tell us what you want to do, and we'll tell you how much it will cost", which freaked out those who were used to the CAMS style of "we will tell you what you're allowed to do, and how much it will cost".

*As demonstrated by their incredible ratio of staff:turn-over.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Simo63

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2013, 07:06:06 pm »
You are correct of course with "organize don't criticize" .... I'm onto it  ;-)

John if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.  otherwise good luck  :)

I have friends down NE Victoria way (that's where my YZ400 is right now being prepped for this years Classic Nats) and the young male and female riders I was going to introduce to vintage are there as well.  I know they are keen and are the sort that would be willing to get involved and help out if needed.

oldfart

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2013, 07:58:42 pm »
MA is their own insurance company  MAIL (Motorcycling Australia Insurance Limited), they are based in the Isle of Man, David White is one of the three Directors, the other two are based in the UK.  That's why David White flies to the Isle of Man on MA business.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2013, 08:06:38 pm »
Where and when is the MA held AGM? check constitution you must be able to attend
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Simo63

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2013, 10:01:18 pm »
MA is their own insurance company  MAIL (Motorcycling Australia Insurance Limited), they are based in the Isle of Man, David White is one of the three Directors, the other two are based in the UK.  That's why David White flies to the Isle of Man on MA business.

Wow I wonder what "week" he goes there??

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2013, 07:59:15 am »
Does any one go to AGM and challenge the executive??
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2013, 08:39:32 am »
what are the approximate MA costs for a Vintage Nats please?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica