Author Topic: Future VERi bike eligibility?  (Read 44574 times)

TM BILL

Re: Future VERi bike eligibility?
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 09:33:42 am »
Why people have to get all hissy fit like if their bike doesn't fit the entry criteria for an event FFS

I imagine the people who are running events decided on era cut offs for THEIR events for their own reasons .

If you have a bike that doesn't fit into a particular event then dont enter that event , offer to help run the event and maybe the organisers of that event will be prepared to come and help at the event YOU are going to organise, with the classes that suit your bike and your opinions .

This is what flucks VMX  >:( classes are set by event organisers ( you know the people who get out there and actually organise and run events ) and then along comes ole mate who has a bike that is outside the criteria but its what he had in the day so why cant he come and play, " its only for fun "  ::) well so is the local modern trail ride up the road, where you will be welcomed  ;)

Where does it stop at what point do we stop having flow ons and exeptions  ::) " but its non competitive and i cant afford an old bike and a new one , but i can put a greenstripe on my 2014 CRF 450X so i fit in ".

Vinduros ( non competitive ) great concept  :)

Cut off date ( Fuct if i know what it should be thats upto the organisers ) but what it is should be upheld .

Whats stopping others from running their own events ( with classes they feel are correct  ??? ) hey if its what people want people will come  ;)

Why cant people respect individual events and there rules / cut offs  ???

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:37:04 am by TM bill »

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 09:36:06 am »
Im just bummed cause I love my 87 TTg350 and I cant ride it :( I was on.ly 6 when it was released

Bring it to Cookardinia mate. Last year we had an 87 TT600 and 88 TT350. No complaints were voiced to me. At the end of the day no one really gives a toss what the other bloke is riding. Classic Dirt9 had plenty of pre90 and 95 bikes doing laps last year. Personally I'm more interested in walking around the pits taking photos and chewing the fat with guys about their bikes regardless of make, year whatever.
  Victoria has more calender events per year which I commend and if they feel the need to have a level playing field then so be it. Luckily Cookardinia is just shy of the border. :D
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

albrid-3

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2013, 09:46:29 am »
Well Fook you all, I have just bought myself a 77 model Husqvarna, just because I like that model to ride vinduro, not because its a pre 90 model with more travell and water cooled, just be contented with the rules that have been given. If you don`t like it , just fook off and go ride a late model bike, nathan s you sound like you are just not contented with vintage era.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:49:14 am by Dave #6 »

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2013, 09:48:03 am »
Imo its about keeping numbers into the scene ,i don't see pre 90 bike as anything "special"-a rider that want to blast around the track fast will still do it on any era bike ! i just like the camaraderie ,the bikes and doing a few laps here and there at a casual pace ,also having had to sell my two vinduro 83' huskies the only enduro bike that i have now is 87'wr250(building)which will keep me away from these fun events - bummer :)

And there's another rider who wants to participate. Do all you pre 85 advocates have blinders on. These guys want to ride. You mentioned a very important word there B40 comaraderie. That's what it's about.
   Honestly I don't see a flood of pre 90 bikes attending these events, hell my newest bike is an 85 model, so no personal agenda there but if I can get 1,2,3 or 4 more riders at an event well that's a positive result for me and the rider.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:50:26 am by Maicoman »
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2013, 09:52:12 am »
That's fine with Cookardinia if that's the way it is to be run. This wasn't the case with the first Cookardinia. If you thought your bike might be 1/85 build then you had to ask the organisers if this would be accepted as a follow on model.
But where do you stop. If an 88 TT350 is ok last year, what will be ok this year, mid 95?
I think what is great about a cutoff is that it makes the paddock seem like a trip back in time to an obviously arbitrary date (pre85) in this case. Everything you look at was made before this cutoff date, not just most things.
I agree with Bill. It's a bit like handing out participation medals at school athletics day because some kids aren't fast enough to win a real medal. Put in the effort to get a legitimate bike and enjoy it. The numbers at these events are not a problem.
If I am sounding hard line here I don't really mean to. I agree that Vinduros are non competitive and if a bike misses by a couple of years, it doesn't really matter. But, if we are talking a concept on what would be an ideal, this is where we should be.
Cheers, Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2013, 10:02:58 am »
I still plan to ride my 1979 IT175F at some Vinduros but my main Vinduro mount is my 1984 IT200.
I don't have an issue with TT350s as they don't seem all that different to my IT200.
Are they any pre-90s motorcycles that would really piss people off because they are too modern? Which ones?
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

albrid-3

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2013, 10:10:31 am »
If Vinduro states pre 85, except it and buy a model bike to suit, end of story, I have a perfect healthy Kawasaki KDX 250 1984 model on ebay going cheap, which would be one of the best rides you would ever have, but no these people are not contented with that, they have too buck the system to get there own way, got to have more travel and water cool. >:(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:15:55 am by Dave #6 »

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2013, 10:19:59 am »
I thought the current discussions were to determine what the rules should be.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2013, 10:24:25 am »
One of my rally mates has a saying: "Rallying isn't about cars, it is about people".

He uses it in response to the eternal fiddling of rally classes, championship structure, vehicle eligibility (etc) which are a futile attempt at enticing more competitors.
The more I think about it, the more it becomes obvious that the same is true of the old bike scene:

We talk about bikes, but it's really about people.

All of the dramas that VMX has faced that Vinduros have avoided, are directly because VMX has a much stronger focus on bikes, which takes the focus away from people.

Think about the best event you've ever been to - I bet that your strongest memories are about the people you met, the bullshit sessions over a few grogs, the total stranger who lent you the special tool to keep your bike running, etc.
Nobody says "I really loved that event because 10% of the entrants were told to go home", or similar.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2013, 10:27:18 am »
If Vinduro states pre 85, except it and buy a model bike to suit, end of story, I have a perfect healthy Kawasaki KDX 250 1984 model on ebay going cheap, which would be one of the best rides you would ever have, but no these people are not contented with that, they have too buck the system to get there own way, got to have more travel and water cool. >:(
                                                                                                                                                                This aint about an inch more travel  ! its a " discussion "let it roll their is no iam right and your wrong   !
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:29:41 am by B40 »

Offline brucey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2013, 10:32:14 am »

See this is the attitude that gets nobody anywhere my view point is i just will not come to an event with an attitude like this anymore leave the old boys with there stuff over there in the corner and i will find something else to do with my bike its getting red plated and i can ride that 90 days a year for 90 dollars anywhere in the state on any road fire trail whatever

Thats enough from me i just think this whole pre 1985 is getting to clicky

Bruce

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2013, 10:39:53 am »
Wow there are some interesting responses.
The bat and ball response
The it's all about me response......
And the one that gives a reason for the current pre85 cut off
Well one out of three isn't bad eh

Vintage enduro is not VMX, never will be.

Some people in this discussion do help at events, some run events.

Most of us like to ride more than one event per year, so the run your own pre 2015 event doesn't quite cut it.

Is it appropriate that a few decide what Vinduro is?

Victoria's vintage rego rules I believe are currently at 25 years old which make 88 models eligible, correct me if I'm wrong but they are changing the rules to 30 years old, and are adding a year onto 25 years old requirement each year effectively freezing the eligibility until 2019? It wouldn't be a bad mechanism to adopt? No opinions, just a mechanism based in law.

How many events will bare the VERi name on the calendar?

I see VMX magazine has moved on from pre85, the XR on the current cover, the feature husky next issue and a big KX a while ago, are we stuck in the mud?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2013, 10:43:43 am »
Why not leave it at pre 85 and up it to pre 90 in say...2015. Then, you know what's going to happen don't you? At the very next event some punter will turn up with a 92 model and expect to get a ride because "it's only a couple of years out and the events are non competitive anyway, so what's the problem"?.....................
The old cutoff date hamster wheel just keeps on spinning and it just won't stop ::)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:47:26 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2013, 10:45:51 am »

A few more responses ....

Nathan
100% correct its about people and the experience.

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2013, 10:49:06 am »
Victoria's vintage rego rules I believe are currently at 25 years old which make 88 models eligible, correct me if I'm wrong but they are changing the rules to 30 years old, and are adding a year onto 25 years old requirement each year effectively freezing the eligibility until 2019? It wouldn't be a bad mechanism to adopt? No opinions, just a mechanism based in law.

Works for me.

I will still ride the same bikes anyway and we can have a couple of new guys on their 1987 TT350 and 1986 TS250X join us.
Vinduro Penrite Team