Author Topic: anyone nead any casting made for old bikes  (Read 120825 times)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: anyone nead any casting made for old bikes
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2013, 09:36:16 am »
I can hardly wait until those 3D printers become main stream and I can go to a "superstore" to buy one. I've heard there are already people making guns that actually work with them.... the possibilities are endless....

At this stage the molds could be readily made with a 3d printer. Some of the US guys have used MDF cut in layers to make molds using 3d printers.

It's a shame that the gun gets all the headlines.  I would not recommend doing it as it is so poor it is likely to blow your hand off.

additive manufacture is a very interesting tool that will change our lives.  It's an engineering revolution that we are only just starting to understand to try and extract the benefits.

Yeah, it is a shame that guns get all the headlines. That's what happens when we listen to the crap they feed us on the news. . Just yesterday I heard an article on 3D printers being used for trials in the medical field to make human body parts...Interesting stuff.
I have no interest in guns whatsoever so I won't be making one any time soon. I do however have a great interest in all things two wheeled and being able to re-manufacture all the worn out/broken bits and pieces at home would be such a buzz.
In the mean time, blokes like KDX are doing a great job on keeping our old bikes alive with casting parts.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2013, 09:54:31 am »
i say ban 3 D printers world wide  just so no one can make guns [and dike parts ] will put me out of a job

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2013, 10:06:19 am »
I think science fiction and news morph together too often.
I heard the gun story was exaggerated, while you can make something that looks like a gun to be able to fire a bullet from one is something else, from my understanding the gun would need at the least a metallic firing pin.

Your job will be safe for a while yet Russel, the real place of 3d printers is to help make the moulds for casting.

I could see years ago the need for casting some parts but didn’t have the resources to do so, your parts look good and I wish you every success with it.

Something else to consider is replica CZ hubs if you think you can cast them with the needed strength, the magnesium originals often suffer from old age and are risky to use.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2013, 10:25:04 am »
c z hub no problem  I need to cast a steel liner in it that's ezey

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2013, 10:45:52 am »

Your job will be safe for a while yet Russel, the real place of 3d printers is to help make the moulds for casting.

In our life time for sure.
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2013, 02:23:12 pm »
I think science fiction and news morph together too often.
I heard the gun story was exaggerated, while you can make something that looks like a gun to be able to fire a bullet from one is something else, from my understanding the gun would need at the least a metallic firing pin.

I could see years ago the need for casting some parts but didn’t have the resources to do so, your parts look good and I wish you every success with it.

Something else to consider is replica CZ hubs if you think you can cast them with the needed strength, the magnesium originals often suffer from old age and are risky to use.

I hope not then, I will be out of a job!  What you are doing is fantastic and finding people who know what they are doing with casting is getting harder and harder.  Keep up the good work.

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2013, 03:10:02 pm »
im starting the 1981 left side clutch cover now I hope sum one byes the 4 1984 covers I have or its now worth doing this hafter find a job

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2013, 03:10:41 pm »
that's cr 250 clutch cover

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2013, 05:36:08 pm »
I need one of those 84 CR250 covers. Has one been tested yet? Are you in the Brisbane area?

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2013, 05:51:31 pm »
c z hub no problem  I need to cast a steel liner in it that's ezey
The steel part is riveted on to cz hubs including in the front wheel, a couple of places make the hubs in aluminum now but I don't know what prices are like. If you were to go ahead with making them I have a rear hub I'm a bit suss on using as it looks to have been welded on 1 side

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2013, 06:33:19 pm »
im starting the 1981 left side clutch cover now I hope sum one byes the 4 1984 covers I have or its now worth doing this hafter find a job
Are you doing an 81 cr250 cover?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2013, 07:59:43 pm »
I hope sum one byes the 4 1984 covers I have or its now worth doing this hafter find a job
You could get a job teaching pidgeon english.. ;D

Offline Stewart Allen

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2013, 08:21:56 pm »
Hey KDX, I said I would buy a cover too, I was just waiting for the testing to be completed, once you are OK that they are right let me know & I'll buy one.

CHEERS STEWART

Doing it to old things is fun
# 74 Heaven
IT490 Will be going one day soon
CR125M
SL175 bitza
IT250D needs work
CR250RE Not going as yet
YZ125F

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2013, 08:22:13 pm »
If I was you I'd be casting all the Honda stuff in Mag. that way you know you'll have some repeat customers every two years or so....  ;D

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2013, 09:50:52 pm »
I quit often lose  trace of who want what sorry people keep reminding please