Author Topic: anyone nead any casting made for old bikes  (Read 120801 times)

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: anyone nead any casting made for old bikes
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2013, 11:54:56 am »
ok looks ok but how come they brake there only a cover 

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2013, 12:10:15 pm »
I would assume they break when chain derails
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2013, 12:11:28 pm »
ok looks ok but how come they brake there only a cover   
Because they're made of paper thin pissy magnesium that often breaks when you crash out or the chain comes off. I've never owned a TM125 but I broke a clutch cover on a mates TM125 back in the day and I had a hard time getting it welded. I eventually got it done by a mate at QANTAS but how many ended up getting bogged up or thrown in the garbage because they couldn't get them welded?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2013, 12:13:32 pm »
I would assume they break when chain derails

nooooo it's from all the horse powahs in the TM trying to escape.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2013, 12:23:40 pm »
I need a old one im not cutting up a nos one got lots of bog and glue

TM BILL

« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2013, 12:38:08 pm »
There must be loads of old ones available over there  :) i didn't realise you had to cut them up .

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2013, 12:42:37 pm »
when cast one it shrikes so got to cut it up glue then bog paint sand  to allow for that

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2013, 02:10:56 pm »
There must be loads of old ones available over there  :) i didn't realise you had to cut them up .

Russell can correct me, Bill the Suzuki one looks die cast, that has a 2 piece die that comes apart easy. Sand cast items need taper/draught on them to remove them from the sand when the impression is made. With straight sides and  the imprssion in the sand would fall apart when the item was removed, then there is the shrinkage.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2013, 02:26:21 pm »
lozzas rite even die cast needs taper but less than sand cast coss I do it all by hand the hole thing is a big shit fite until you get it rite then you make epoxy patens I get sum photo of patens 

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2013, 02:37:34 pm »

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2013, 05:20:39 pm »
not long now and you will just print one  ;) Mate of mine is making silencers out of printed carbon stuff , very cool and better than a machined one as you can make hollows etc you cant with machining .The machine he uses is about $750 k worth so a bit out of most of our pockets reach still everything comes down eventually
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2013, 08:04:45 am »
I can hardly wait until those 3D printers become main stream and I can go to a "superstore" to buy one. I've heard there are already people making guns that actually work with them.... the possibilities are endless....
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2013, 09:26:20 am »
I can hardly wait until those 3D printers become main stream and I can go to a "superstore" to buy one. I've heard there are already people making guns that actually work with them.... the possibilities are endless....

At this stage the molds could be readily made with a 3d printer. Some of the US guys have used MDF cut in layers to make molds using 3d printers.
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2013, 10:20:27 am »
You need the best pattern possible.  NOS is the way to go.

Then just scan the part to capture the 3D geometry.  Once you have the file scale it up, make the pattern and away you go!!!!!

There is an app for $3 that turns your phone into a hand held scanner and the data is good enough to use (we have done it)
Basic but ok.  As you would expect for $3... The $3 one was the flash one.  $0.99 will get you a basic app.

To do the job properly use professionals.

At the bottom end of the scale you can buy a 3D printer for £700 from a local electronics shop (Maplins) here in the UK.  On ebay basic ones start at about £1000.  They are no very good (but getting better at the time)

To do anything serious use professionals.  You don't have to be buy your own, there is a Whole Industry out there waiting to help you.  (and it doesn't have to be that expensive)

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2013, 10:22:56 am »

At this stage the molds could be readily made with a 3d printer. Some of the US guys have used MDF cut in layers to make molds using 3d printers.

It's a shame that the gun gets all the headlines.  I would not recommend doing it as it is so poor it is likely to blow your hand off.

additive manufacture is a very interesting tool that will change our lives.  It's an engineering revolution that we are only just starting to understand to try and extract the benefits.