Author Topic: RD350 Dirt Tracker  (Read 83656 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Re: RD350 Dirt Tracker
« Reply #210 on: April 19, 2014, 09:21:58 pm »
What can I say Pete. You are the man that is so cool  8) some people are good at one or two things but not you. You even seem to have a eye for that hard to find balance that makes a bike worth looking at. Well done mate. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2014, 08:36:43 am »
What can I say Pete. You are the man that is so cool  8) some people are good at one or two things but not you. You even seem to have a eye for that hard to find balance that makes a bike worth looking at. Well done mate. Jimson

Thanks Garry, You do some pretty good work yourself mate. Can't wait to see that desert sled in action.

I'm not too happy with the length of the filters but I didn't give them any thought when I was doing the frame mods :-[, but there's plenty of room under the seat so I think I'll make an air box up with the inlet Y piece threading between the frame tubes - luckily I have a couple of brackets back there that I didn't remove. I just need to find a couple of 44mm straight rubbers to connect to the carbs.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2014, 09:53:26 am »
There's always something that needs a tweak after building a special Pete  :o
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2014, 03:11:03 pm »
Hi I have followed this build since the start. Most rebuilds are just rebuild, repaint, replate and polish but this build is certainly a big leap up in the process! Manufacturing your own parts! Really great looking bike. Im dying to hear it,please put up a video revving its head off when you can! I have to ask what trade do you have? and please tell me your steps when polishing?because mine is never as good as yours is. Thanks.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2014, 03:55:18 pm »
For the rubbers you could go to a plumbing store or even a hardware and get a couple of 40mm plumb quicks they are just a straight rubber with two hose clamps either end the od of 40mm pipe is like 43mm so they would fit easy.

Airbox is always better in my opinion I'm sure you will make a nice one for it the bike looks great, thanks Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 20, 2014, 04:42:27 pm »
Pick of the day as far as I am concerned 8)

It makes the Mona Lisa look plumb fugly ;D
Should squeal out a nasty induction Howl 8)
Let us know when it will be at Nepean or where ever Pete, I will come for a run, and bring a bike, join up and have a putt around as well.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:45:32 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2014, 04:48:07 pm »
 I'm keen to watch the step by step process for the airbox! I need some inspiration for my RT1.
cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2014, 07:16:18 am »

I'm sure you would have the same thing on your cool XL special Mark. It's hard to envisage everything.

Hi I have followed this build since the start. Most rebuilds are just rebuild, repaint, replate and polish but this build is certainly a big leap up in the process! Manufacturing your own parts! Really great looking bike. Im dying to hear it,please put up a video revving its head off when you can! I have to ask what trade do you have? and please tell me your steps when polishing?because mine is never as good as yours is. Thanks.

Hey Kenny, thanks mate. I'll try post up a short video of it singing. I am an electrical engineer by trade, but have been fiddling in the workshop for many years. As far as the polishing goes, I just use buffing wheels on an old bench grinder after prepping with #400, #800, #1200 and #1600 wet and dry paper. The covers on the RD look a lot better in the photos than they do in real life as they had a lot of corrosion under the original black paint, which is still showing through. I didn't spend as much time as I should have on them due to time constraints, but I will take them off and do a better job after the Gloucester meeting.

For the rubbers you could go to a plumbing store or even a hardware and get a couple of 40mm plumb quicks they are just a straight rubber with two hose clamps either end the od of 40mm pipe is like 43mm so they would fit easy.

Airbox is always better in my opinion I'm sure you will make a nice one for it the bike looks great, thanks Michael.

Michael, you're a genius, I'll hit the local hardware shop tomorrow. Great idea, thanks mate.

Pick of the day as far as I am concerned 8)

It makes the Mona Lisa look plumb fugly ;D
Should squeal out a nasty induction Howl 8)
Let us know when it will be at Nepean or where ever Pete, I will come for a run, and bring a bike, join up and have a putt around as well.

Da Vinci may disagree with you Mick ;D We should organise a practice day at Nepean in the near future and get everyone together.

I'm keen to watch the step by step process for the airbox! I need some inspiration for my RT1.
cheers pancho.

Can't you use the standard airbox on the RT Pancho? I might have one kicking around if you don't have one.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2014, 08:16:18 am »
Pool shop for those flexible couplings. Part# ffc40
Available in 2"x2"   2"x1 1/2"   1 1/2"x 1 1/2"  1 1/4"x1 1/4"

They are mainly used on pool filters or pumps. Make sure you grab some clamps to suit.

oldfart

« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2014, 08:31:03 am »
Pete .... you have great vision and skills that I can only admire.    Most of my projects take at least 1 to 2 years  ;D

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2014, 10:13:55 am »
What sort of buff wheel do you use Pete? And do you use the white or brown polish stick when you polish? Thanks

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2014, 10:14:59 am »
And is 10 000 views a record?
 anyone know?

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »
Pete .... you have great vision and skills that I can only admire.    Most of my projects take at least 10 to 200 years, than just decompose in a stinky fetid pile.  Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 21, 2014, 01:47:25 pm »
 Hi yamaico, I just assumed I'd never find an airbox for my old RT1 as '79 was a fair while ago, I would certainly like one.!

cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2014, 01:56:55 pm »

I'm sure you would have the same thing on your cool XL special Mark. It's hard to envisage everything.

I sure did Pete.....and it was the air box! After 2 failed attempts at making an alloy box that fit nice, I abandoned the idea and dug out a 79 PE250 airbox that came close to fitting and got to work cutting and plastic welding. 2 days later I had the airbox, filter cage and carb all working in harmony  ;D
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.