Author Topic: Does VMX in Australia need a refresh?  (Read 38356 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Does VMX in Australia need a refresh?
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2013, 12:27:01 pm »
Brad - the last 2 Nats had a very different perspective and a lot more "consideration" for catering the "overall" majority than the current prospect.  And of course it is my perspective - I said that - and of course as a racer I thought you might disagree - also said that.  You are a dedicated racer that will even to overseas to race - the vast majority - and that is a fact - are not in the same boat.  It appears the social meet numberss are good/increasing - Titles maybe not so?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2013, 12:30:26 pm »
Ali - ta - always knew you were a perve  ;D  mate - when the choice comes, maybe because of distance, availability of requried meetings at home, cost or type of event people will, and obviously are, making decisions as to what to attend.  From WA - if you could only do one meet - would you choose CD/HBBB or Nats?  I loved going to the Nats - but the format changed, didn't suit me so helped with my decision as to which one to drop - thats all I am getting at - if a format becomes too much for the smaller minority the impact on the majority can be excessive?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

STW996

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2013, 03:25:48 pm »
Brad, I must have missed the mail out or email, they may have tailored it to what you like but with a lack of numbers you are not speaking for the majority. it is not a dig at anyone but fact, how about you stick you hand up for a state committee role (this is not a dig) you have good genuine ideas and a focus on VMX racing.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2013, 04:12:00 pm »
Brad, I must have missed the mail out or email, they may have tailored it to what you like but with a lack of numbers you are not speaking for the majority. it is not a dig at anyone but fact, how about you stick you hand up for a state committee role (this is not a dig) you have good genuine ideas and a focus on VMX racing.
Why do I have to stick my hand up? You need to go through the 40 pages of the classic nationals thread again as the questions were asked by the people putting on the meeting and plenty of people put up their opinions. So they put on an event with forum members input only to not be supported. Then after the fact they should have done this and that. You didn't need a mail out to be part of that process. It was unfolding right in front of you.

STW996

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »
Brad, the forum? if they put on an event based on comments made on here then it was doomed to start with.

So lets look forward and not back. that is what my post was all about.

who are the current state committee members for vintage??

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:40:27 am by STW996 »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2013, 06:04:50 pm »
Instead of listening to all the Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda's on here all you have to do is look back at the format used for last years Classic Nats in Qld with a record number of entries.
2 days, 10 min moto's and camping at the track= 160+ entries. And the Classic side of vmx has LESS competitiors week in and week out compared to Post Classic.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2013, 06:11:01 pm »
YES
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2013, 06:20:20 pm »
Brad, the forum? if they put on an event based on comments made on here then it was doomed to start with.

So lets look forward and not back. that is what my post was all about.

How are the current state committee members for vintage??

Instead of listening to all the Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda's on here all you have to do is look back at the format used for last years Classic Nats in Qld with a record number of entries.
2 days, 10 min moto's and camping at the track= 160+ entries. And the Classic side of vmx has LESS competitiors week in and week out compared to Post Classic.
True and true.
In theory a forum can be a great place to share ideas etc but reality is that too many only race here...

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2013, 09:53:53 pm »
      "2 days"
not to dim rose coloured glasses, but last year scrutineering was on the friday before so for those travelling, it still ment three day event.

and Conondale we ended up having 2 lap races on the sunday  due to time constrants

And yes it is interesting that pre 78 and earlier, while not so active at club level seems to come alive at the nationals.

and I think . as has been mentioned earlier that state or club racing is doing quite well and people do not  feel the need to travel to get their VMX fix.
Noel
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:39:31 pm by Noel »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2013, 10:20:45 pm »
I'm in strong agreement with STW's comments.

Is it fair to say that - as a general rule - the Nationals run by clubs without a strong background in VMX have been those that have struggled, while those run by clubs with experience in VMX have been popular and well supported by the VMX community? Based on what I've seen in the last seven years, the unsuccessful 2012 PCMX Nats is the only exception...

I'm thinking out loud here, but maybe there's some unstated expectations and/or marketing nuances that are missed by the clubs without VMX experience?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2013, 10:22:57 pm »
 I would not have said Crystal Brook was a club with a strong background in VMX but had strong support from Freaky

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2013, 10:58:53 pm »
      "2 days"
not to dim rose coloured glasses, but last year scrutineering was on the friday before so for those travelling, it still ment three day event.

and Conondale we ended up having 2 lap races on the sunday  due to time constrants

And yes it is interesting that pre 78 and earlier, while not so active at club level seems to come alive at the nationals.

and I think . as has been mentioned earlier that state or club racing is doing quite well and people do not  feel the need to travel to get their VMX fix.
Noel
Noel I turned up at last years qld nats on the Saturday morning and had my bikes scrutineered along with many other riders. Scrutineering was available Friday but you didn't have to be there.
Conondale was before the split, that's why there has been a split.
No rose coloured glasses needed...

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2013, 11:02:39 pm »
yes and you could have done that at lakes

but how would it have gone if 164 riders with multiple bikes turned up for scrutineering sat morning

yes I know conondale was before the split and last year was Classic not post classic so we are not really comparing like events

Noel

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2013, 12:14:48 am »
Noel practice at Lakes was on the Friday, you had to be there Friday. Practice at Classic nats last year was Saturday. It is possible to run the titles over 2 days, we did it last year.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2013, 06:51:53 am »
I still say valid points but why after the fact? This should have been thrashed out ages ago. But then again nothing on this forum can be taken seriously? So even this thread? By the likes of guys like Noel, Nathan, John and Shane ? All are very active in the racing community....
It's a bloody shame when a title event falls over and I'm still frustrated about it all. And Im embarrassed for Vmx as a sport.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:56:36 am by 090 »