Author Topic: ossa phantom GPII......oops!maybe GPI?  (Read 9929 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: ossa phantom GPII
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »
......I thought the GPII (or AS-76) was a 1976 model not a '77, is that article a GPIII?.....Sorry, dont know a lot about OSSA's ??? ???

Roger
It was, it's just OSSA bought the Phantoms out mid year, so the GPII arrived in June 1976, with the GPIII coming in June 1977.
The article is a GPII. They are sometimes are known as '76 1/2 models.

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 01:12:20 pm »
............I've got another request,can anyone tell me the length of a set of GPII forks ??..........from the top to the axle centre??

Roger

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 02:14:31 pm »
G'Day Roger,

Measured with the forks removed from the bike, from the top of the capnuts to centreline of axle is 640 mm with the tubes bottomed out, and about 843 mm fully extended.    Good luck with your GPII.     Mike.

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 07:41:44 am »
............another question (I'm new to this ossa stuff,so bear with me :-\ )...........a set of ossa triple trees with 2B stamped on them, any idea what they might be off ??

Roger

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 04:36:44 pm »
For the most part the triple clamps( betor)are interchangeable between Ossa, Bully and Monty as they all used Betor forks.
so they could come from anything, I don't remember my phantoms having any codes on them.
Post pic for I.D. is best.

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 10:28:49 am »
OOPS!!....After a closer inspection and comparing photos on the web ,I think what I actually have is a '75 GPI not a GPII. :-[
    The frame has a laydown shock setup but doesnt have the dogleg in the R/H frame for the up pipe, also the shock angle is not as severe as on the GPII's.........I did say I don't know much about OSSA's ;D

Roger
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:31:10 am by YUMASTEPSIDE »

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: ossa phantom GPII......oops!maybe GPI?
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 02:20:17 pm »
Just checked all the Ossa yokes about 10 all models with Alloy 35mm Betor trees all stamped top and bottom 2B think it must be a  Ossa code from Betor and all appear to have the same offset

Cheers

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 07:17:47 pm »
OOPS!!....After a closer inspection and comparing photos on the web ,I think what I actually have is a '75 GPI not a GPII. :-[
    The frame has a laydown shock setup but doesnt have the dogleg in the R/H frame for the up pipe, also the shock angle is not as severe as on the GPII's.........I did say I don't know much about OSSA's ;D

Roger

What's the engine number ? Does it have a plate/sticker on the steering stem ? If so what's the number?......but best of all GET YOUR CAMERA OUT and post a pic, all your questions will be answered...

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 07:28:53 pm »
Bugger,...A GP1 instead of a GP2 :'( Wanna sell it ;D great bike

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 07:37:17 pm »
........theres the problem, it has no numbers on the frame and it doesnt look like there ever was, but I did find out today that it used to belong to JC on this forum ,so I'm going to contact him and get the lowdown on it.The top ends phantom but the bottom is '75-'77 super pioneer ,so that doesn't help matters any!

Roger
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:50:55 pm by YUMASTEPSIDE »

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 09:19:43 pm »
The numbers where on a tin sticker on the steering stem along with the "AS 7? that would tell you what year it was, AS75 was GP1, AS76 was GP2, AS77 was GP3. Those plates are usually tough as nails, sure it's not just been painted over.
Does it have a separate airbox or intergrated sideplate type airbox set up?
Here's a pic of the r/h side, you can see tabs for up pipe and airbox mounts.

Here's another, this is the one that ended up on the cover of VMX.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:27:25 pm by evo550 »

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 10:25:00 pm »
......nope, sorry, the headstem's completely clean ....nothing!...........and thats not the same frame in your pics ,so its an AS75/GPI........its the same as some that I found on the net....separate airbox and sidecovers,and the brace bar from the end of the shocks is parallel to the seat rail.
  So now, where can I get some side/number plates and guards, seat foam etc......bear in mind that I got this thing in several milkcrates and theres lots of odds and ends missing......an Ossa Phantom is probably the only bike I've ever really lusted after so I'm quite prepared to spend the time, effort and unfortunately copious amounts of money to get this one back together.

Roger

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 05:48:53 pm »
You can get most of the parts out of the U.S. although Steven Eastman in Vic has a mould for the phantom tanks.
DC should do some of the plastics as well.
Your biggest (read expensive) hurdle is to get a GP1 gearbox for it. Phantom motors turn up every now and then on U.S. Ebay andI  have seen blown ones go for as much as $2500.
You say it has a super pioneer motor, are you sure it's a phantom as the super pioneers/sdr's run pretty much the previous years phantoms chassis. So a '76 SDR/Super pioneer ran a '75 phantom chassis, with a different (larger) tank and different motor.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 12:34:57 pm »
Yes it's definitely a Phantom frame - 75 GP (or GP1 as they now seem to be called). I got it from a fairly well known Bris-based VMXer many yrs ago, who had a near complete 74 as well. Neither frame had any ID on them & we could find no evidence of any having been there. He said they were like that when he got them & I found him trust-worthy. Not sure if he's still into VMX but he's not on the forum (AFAIK)

The correct forks for that model are long straight-leg ones w the strengthening ribs down front & back of sliders, like the later super-pioneers/mountaineers had. Ossa claimed 9" travel but in reality were more like 8". S/Pioneer versions had 7.5" but Phantom GP1 versions were quite a bit longer (both damper rods & stanchions).

Triple clamps are not the same as Mon & Bul. Diff offsets, stem dia's & tube spacings. Ossa usually used 20dia stem but that may have gone to 25 for the long travel Phantoms. Murray (VMX60) would probably know.

I found Phantom parts were almost impossible to source in OZ, tho there are several owners. If you can't source a complete Phantom gearbox/bottom-end, a Phantom 5th gear set w the S/Pioneer 1-4 gearset would give you a reasonable compromise, tho I think you have to ensure the right # of engagement dogs. I vaguely recall there was a change in there somewhere. At least that overcomes the enormous gap between 4th & 5th in the S/Pioneer box.