Author Topic: ossa phantom GPII......oops!maybe GPI?  (Read 9928 times)

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
ossa phantom GPII......oops!maybe GPI?
« on: March 31, 2013, 02:38:20 pm »
Does anyone have any old magazine tests on the GPII or any spec sheets??......any one own one ?? ???

Roger
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:29:57 am by YUMASTEPSIDE »

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: ossa phantom GPII
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:49:08 pm »
I have a few bits on them (mag tests, original brochures, parts lists ect) unfortunately it's all in storage on the other side of the country sorry. Had two of them at different stages.
Whatcha up to ?

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:57:07 pm »
.........picked up a frame/swingarm, wheels, head/barrel, tank,etc. and a pile of bits ......just trying to find a few details, fork diameter, shock length that sort of stuff  ;D

Roger

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 03:13:14 pm »
See if you can get a copy of VMX issue 38. If not pm me and I can photocopy and mail. Jerry

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 03:33:53 pm »
......got one,Jerry, but its not big on details,more history than specs. Thanks anyway, Jerry. :(

Roger

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 04:13:51 pm »
There's a bloke in Qld who is an Ossa guru. I think his name is Cookie or something like that. Someone on here will have his contact details. Also Steve Eastham down here in Vic has a few clues. J

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 06:34:25 pm »
Cookie now owns my old one (in vmx), they ran betor forks/clamps and piggyback shocks that was common on all Spanish iron of the day (taco's and tesa's).
Cookie is on the gold coast and has a sail/mast building business, but good luck getting anything out of him, he's happy taking what you've got but doesn't reciprocate if you get my drift.
Phil Young in Wachoupe is an ex dealer and knows them inside out and eager to help.
John Boag bought my other one and he may have a few things up his sleeve also.
Chassis components are easy to come by as they where a common component with other manufacturers of the day, engine bits usually have to come out of the US and can be expensive.
Steve Eastman does new gel coated tanks for them and maybe seat covers.
Good luck...oh and use a Yamaha rod.

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 07:23:42 pm »
The Ossa guy in the states is I think Keith Lynas or something like that. Easy to find on the net. J

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:46:08 pm »
Thanks for all of that ,I know Phil Young ( I originally come from Coffs Harbour )and I've dealt with Keith Lynas and Ron Bors in the states on parts for my SDR........anyway, now the fun begins......again ;)

Roger

Offline mposs

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 11:10:09 am »
Is this the GPII ?

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:29:02 am »
Bingo !!
Did Roger Harvey draw for MXA in '76 ? That one on the specs page looks like one of his scribes  :)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 11:49:21 am »
It's interesting to see how far Works Performance shocks go back as well (ad on last page). I've got three sets of those finned alloy Works shocks, one set on my Maico trials bike, another on my 350 squarie and the third currently on my bench undergoing a rebuild. I've also pulled down a set of steel bodied Works shocks manufactured in the late 90's and have found them to be almost identical to the early models, the only visible difference being the size and position of one seal. The fact that Works shocks still compare favourably with YSS, Ohlins and other high tech products says a lot for Gil Vaillencourts (and Charlie Curnutts) design in the early seventies.

It's also interesting to see the ad for 'Protopipe Exhaust Systems' showing the availability of up pipes for AW Maico (amongst others) in 1976 which adds credence to the argument that the current rules stating that the exhaust follow original lines as per manufacture are a bunch of Hooey and need to be re worded.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:36:31 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 10:16:22 pm »
......I thought the GPII (or AS-76) was a 1976 model not a '77, is that article a GPIII?.....Sorry, dont know a lot about OSSA's ??? ???

Roger

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »
......I thought the GPII (or AS-76) was a 1976 model not a '77, is that article a GPIII?.....Sorry, dont know a lot about OSSA's ??? ???

Roger
That is the GPII, the GPIII was late '77 and looked quite different..

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 06:33:59 pm »
There's a whole bunch of Ossa stuff here: http://hem.passagen.se/ossa/

Another GPII test here: http://davestestsandarticles.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/4/5/4845046/trail_and_track_october_1976_ossa_as_76_phantom.pdf

P.S. YUMASTEPSIDE, I do get your avatar. Great movie.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:37:03 pm by TooFastTim »