Author Topic: VMX Issue 53  (Read 8535 times)

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
VMX Issue 53
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:44:39 am »
As some of you have no doubt realised, Issue 53 is a wee bit late.  The short story is that Alistair has been unwell for the past four weeks but is now on the mend.  Issue 53 is now at the printers so won't be too much longer!  Thanks for your patience.

Regards

Ken

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
Re: VMX Issue 53
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:41:03 am »
Good stuff Ken.Hope the big fella is ok.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »
Alistair went out of his way to get some parts out for me even when he's been feeling average. With that sort of work ethic I don't reckon the mag will be too far off. Thanks!
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 01:25:14 pm »
No Worries Ken, it's always worth waiting for, Best Wishes to Alistair for a full recovery.

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:57:14 pm »
Thanks for the reminder that I have to get my act together and renew my subscription ::)

Offline Drakie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:41:42 pm »
Hmmm, Bonza UK Bonanza, when will you accept the invite to come down to the HBBB Ken? The offer of a free trade stand and passes is still on.

Offline Stewart Allen

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:48:52 pm »
Just back from Holidays has this one come out yet ? Just checking in case my posting kept it because I was away.
CHEERS STEWART

Doing it to old things is fun
# 74 Heaven
IT490 Will be going one day soon
CR125M
SL175 bitza
IT250D needs work
CR250RE Not going as yet
YZ125F

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:14:39 pm »
Good things come to those who wait   :) :) :)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:14:56 pm »
Arrived today :) very nice chaps , Ken love the KX 175  8) nice tribute to Kelvin Franks , but my pet hate  >:( the RM 370 resto spread over multiple issues  ::)

Good points raised in the editorial , food for thought  :)

CD 10 info nice and early  :) and good content throughout  :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:13:05 pm by TM bill »

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 05:21:23 pm »
Ditto mine arrived today to the East Island and just getting into it now. ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:32:44 pm »
Recieved on west dry dusty coast of Oz..

page three VMX for the Masses.
Our clubs here had the opportunity to have some space at the Perth Motorcycle Show a few years back,and totally agree with what Ken Smith has said about the interest in our sport.There were so many people checking out the display and asking all the questions.  :P We had more interest than those long forked chrome choppers next door  ;D
Great untold potential for new enthusiasic members and for our sport to go forward for years to come.  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 09:06:03 pm »
Received in B'vegas today. Kiwis get it sooner than Q'ldrs...WTF is going on with Aus Post? At least being wrapped in most excellent bubble wrap the mag was in pristine condition....unlike the rest of my mailbox's soggy contents  :'(
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 06:32:21 am »
Just cracked mine open this morning over breakfast. Just read 'The Sweep Rider'.
My sentiments exactly. I'm always beating the drum so to speak.
The last two paragraphs especially with regards to having an interest in the older bikes and as to the way I think, looking outside the square in the way of buying a bike that's older than you, or a quirky bike you know nothing about. Buying a Cz and a Maico which I knew nothing about at the time were the best things I could have done. Broke the chains of being a johnny one note (Being known as a Honda rider).
Thanks Ken, you read my mind.  Four and a half stars  ;D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 01:16:13 pm »
I'm also right behind the sentiments expressed in Ken's Sweep Rider column. He beautifully covered a couple of points that I'm passionate about, the promotion of our sport to the general population and the continued interest in the older classes by getting younger racers interested in them. What Ken did by displaying his bikes on Australia day in Macquarie street should set an example to us as a sport. Because we're so involved in our passion we often aren't aware that vintage motocross and dirt track are practically unknown to those outside our circle. How many of us have been approached at a gas station on the way to the races by someone wanting a closer look at the old bike on our trailer and getting into a lengthy conversation with them over "having one of them back in the day"? Most of us I'd reckon. Each time something like that happens we have a golden opportunity to recruit another potential convert to the old bike cause. To take advantage of those situations wouldn't it be a great idea if we had a pre printed flyer in the glove box that spelled out what VMX and VDT are about, a loose description of the available classes and contact details for your particular club? For a very low printing costs VMX clubs are getting the message out to folks who'd otherwise would never have considered it.

Another way of spreading the word is to hold a bike display in public spaces. We held the Klub Kevlar Show'n'Shine two years in a row and the public response was outstanding. We missed out the year before last because the venue cancelled on us and last year because I was ill and nobody within the Kevlar group had the time to organise it. Lately however there has been a bit of a rumble calling for us to do it this year. If the Sydney VMX and VDT population are prepared to support the event, let's do it, we're prepared to promote it. Let's hear some ideas on venue and time.

While I love all things 'old dirt bike' my true passion lies in the pre 78 era and more specifically the pre 1970/65 era's of both VMX and VDT. Our sport was founded on these classes so because they're so important to our history it'd be a shame to see them fade away. The original owners and riders of these old bikes are getting a bit long in the tooth to race on a regular basis so it's a no brainer to assume that for the older classes to continue we need to encourage younger racers to become interested in the bikes. It's reasonably easy to get them to ride the bikes if offered but for them to become old bike owners who want to compete on short travel bikes we need to create a culture where these bikes are considered cool and that the difficulty of riding a short travel bike at speed becomes the ultimate clallenge the old bikes offer up. As we've seen with Brad van B, Nathan and other younger guys who've opted to ride ( and more importantly own bikes) for the older classes, once they get into it it often becomes just as big a passion as bikes from their own particular race era offer up. Because of an aging pre 75 racer demographic there are a lot of seriously good race bikes just sitting under sheets in sheds all over Australia. There are a couple of ways to get these bikes back on the race track..... sell the bike to a newer generation of racer or, as I have done, offer them to younger guys to race for you. I've been doing it on and off for a couple of decades and with only one or two minor exceptions I've enjoyed the experience. There is quite a cool feeling to build, prepare and tune a bike for someone to compete on....and it's even cooler when they do OK.

Kens article has sparked me to spend more effort promoting our sport to the uninitiated, I hope others have been inspired as well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:32:06 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 08:16:20 am »
I feel #53 has absolutely nailed it. A great piece of work.
As usual, I am left wondering how the heck can you top this in the next one.
Hearty congratulations.
Luke