Author Topic: TT600 project  (Read 20170 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: TT600 project
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:09 am »
While i understand the convenience benefit if fitting modern carbs etc doesn't that defeat the purpose of Vintage racing  ??? Why stop there just bolt the TT plastics to an RMZ 450  ;)

In the case of the TT600 the stock twin chamber vacum horror can give some pretty ugly starting, so doing an upgrade is worthwhile. FCR just happens to be the best carb about for $90.

But you know your comment about TT plastics on RMZ may not be as silly as it sounds, there have been a couple of nice bikes built around TT600s upgraded with YZ tank and sub frame/seat.

formerly Marc.com

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 08:54:51 am »
The FCR carb is a great carb, but it surley couldn't be leagal in VMX racing.

TM BILL

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 09:06:02 am »
While i understand the convenience benefit if fitting modern carbs etc doesn't that defeat the purpose of Vintage racing  ??? Why stop there just bolt the TT plastics to an RMZ 450  ;)

In the case of the TT600 the stock twin chamber vacum horror can give some pretty ugly starting, so doing an upgrade is worthwhile. FCR just happens to be the best carb about for $90.

But you know your comment about TT plastics on RMZ may not be as silly as it sounds, there have been a couple of nice bikes built around TT600s upgraded with YZ tank and sub frame/seat.

Gotta say that goes look great mate  :) but i suppose its a bit like those clog wog and pom twinshocks some look ok but thet aint vintage

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 09:42:28 am »

Yeah its not, I'll paint it black nobody will notice  ;)

Anywayz Bill my TT600 as bit too original to work over with modern placky but its food for thought, certainly a tank reduction and reducing the size of lazy boy that Yamaha fitted would make the bike feel like a whippet.

But then again I remember guys Enduroing them back in the day and they used to go pretty decent.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Bruised

• C-Grade
  • Brisbane (& Mackay) Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 04:14:54 pm »

Hey Mark.com

Did the YFM Grizzly inlet manifold fit straight up? or did it need to be modified?

Bruised
The Romans didn’t build a great empire by organising meetings.  They did it by killing anybody who got in their way.

All people are your relatives; therefore expect only trouble from them

Offline Duane799

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 09:12:46 pm »
I raced a couple of years for Yamaha Pitmans in the 80's and Malcolm Pitman built my TT's with a YZ front end and wheels and White Power shock plus he built Kevin Long's TT's as well but he had White Power USD Forks on his TT which he won The News 24 Hour a couple of times. They weren't to bad of an Enduro bike but an excellent mustering bike. My dad had 4 of them until the TTR250 came out,   

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 09:28:00 pm »

Yeah its not, I'll paint it black nobody will notice  ;)

Anywayz Bill my TT600 as bit too original to work over with modern placky but its food for thought, certainly a tank reduction and reducing the size of lazy boy that Yamaha fitted would make the bike feel like a whippet.

But then again I remember guys Enduroing them back in the day and they used to go pretty decent.

Yeah, leave the carbs as they unless they are giving you grief...if it ain't broke and all....
A good motor mod is to remove to counter balancer and associated hardware, still the same grunty motor, just revs there noticeably quicker, only notice extra vibrations at idle. And how many of us pro's spend any time there right ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:32:26 pm by evo550 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 06:32:02 am »

Hey Mark.com
Did the YFM Grizzly inlet manifold fit straight up? or did it need to be modified?

Havn't got to fitting it yet..... will let you know.

Planning giving the forks a birthday, mine feel soft as butter so at least YZ springs will go into them. But not a bad thought about a shock change I have same year YZ one in my war chest.
formerly Marc.com

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 08:29:38 am »

Hey Mark.com

Planning giving the forks a birthday, mine feel soft as butter so at least YZ springs will go into them. But not a bad thought about a shock change I have same year YZ one in my war chest.

Stop eating all those pies by Mikes work and you could save yourself a revalve big boy ;D

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 08:20:54 pm »

Hey Mark.com

Stop eating all those pies by Mikes work and you could save yourself a revalve big boy ;D

;D ;D I remember going to a engineering works with my 550 saying I would like alloy this and alloy that so I could make it a bit lighter...he's just looked me up and down and said " I know where we could knock off 20 kgs easy"
Cheeky barstard.....I spent a lot of money there copping his abuse.