Author Topic: TT600 project  (Read 20127 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
TT600 project
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:05:49 pm »
Just dragged my barn fresh TT600 out,  how do I make it look as nice as this one and go decently, anyone had experience racing them.

formerly Marc.com

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: TT600 project
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 03:41:12 pm »
I rode enduros on a TT600 back in the mid 80's and despite its weight, loved the living shit out of it, its right up there as one of the best bike's I ever owned which is saying something as it replaced my 490 Maico GS. I didn't do a lot to it other than have someone or other revalve the shock to suit more serious work, and upgrade the forks with YZ490 dampeners (or was it IT490?). I modified the pipe and fitted a White Bros muffler. In the 4 years I had the bike it never had any major dramas, the only biggie being the nut that holds the counter balancer had come loose and I'd have lost the counter balancer and probably the engine. Luckily I caught it in time, which is weird as it's something I'd never previously checked...Karma. I also fitted an Acerbis front 'guard and headlight, only because the originals were rooted. I'd like to use a TT600 motor in a dirt tracker, I know the earlier TT500 motor is more popular but the 600 despite being a big lump of aluminium is still a good thing. I can recall Head (Neil) on this forum having one with USD forks and a lot of other tricks and Yamaico Pete might know something about our Californian mate Marsh Runyons TT which was bored and stroked to something like 800cc. Pete may have raced it while in the US, I know Edgar Phipps raced it and raved about what a torque monster it was.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:51:42 pm »
I once owned/raced a 550 version of this motor, never missed a beat for 3 years.
Twin carb parts are getting hard to come by now, they can be bored out to about 6.5 liters or near enough. Easy to start. A great little fourstroke with a bit of suspension work a real fun racer.

Simo63

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:15:32 pm »
I once owned/raced a 550 version of this motor, never missed a beat for 3 years.
Twin carb parts are getting hard to come by now, they can be bored out to about 6.5 liters or near enough. Easy to start. A great little fourstroke with a bit of suspension work a real fun racer.

Bored out to 6.5 litres  ::) ::) ::)

I don't think so  ;D ;D

maybe 650cc (or even bigger) but not 6.5 litres ... that translates to around 400 cubic inches  ;D

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:04 pm »
Nope, I'm pretty sure it was 6.5 liters, the piston was real big, I remember looking at it and thinking " the piston is real big" ::)

Simo63

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:47:51 pm »
Nope, I'm pretty sure it was 6.5 liters, the piston was real big, I remember looking at it and thinking " the piston is real big" ::)

;D ;D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 05:44:34 am »
Ive been reading about conversion to single carb using the YTM660 inlet manifold, anyone actually done it. Should have picked up SRX Keihins for it while I was in Japan  ::)
formerly Marc.com

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:07:45 am »
I have a 600 Tenere that I rode for the last couple of rounds of DT a couple of years back, didn,t go to bad but had a really flat power supply and ran out of herbs at about 5000rpm.
Got talking to a bloke at the local bike wreckers and was told that the twin carbs off a 250 twin roadie, gpx or gpz was the way to go as far as carbs go.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:41:44 am »
Well God bless the modern 4 stroke riders, just picked up RMZ450 carb, throttle, cables and hot start for $90.

Which has got me to thinking about DIY Keihin conversions for some of my other 4 strokes, Ducati, Harley given the availability of cheap state of the art FCR carbs
formerly Marc.com

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 11:16:09 am »
we are belting around on a TT600 sidecar and its holding its own, bloody good kit, You have done a great job if it goes half as good as it looks it will fly  ;)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:52 am »
I found this on one of the flat track forums, in answer to a question as to why the engine wasn't used in flat track very much............

My sister raced an Knight framed XT 600 back in the mid 90's. The thing was faster than some of the Rotax powered ones. It just built a ton of power. She had put some expierimental cam in it from one of her sponsers and had done abunch of other work to it. Biggest problem was the thing was kind of a grenade. The engine was never designed to take the power it could develope when tuned. I saw that bike eat clutches about every other race. the only to fix that was to put an RD 400 clutch in it which another racer that was sponsered by the same guy did and it appeared to help. The last big failure the engine had before she repaired and sold it was the the center hub shearing out of the flywheel. Great bike but just wasn't up to strain. On the good side I trailrode one that I built for the better part of last year and haven't had alick of trouble with it. All stock except for the CDI box and 11.5 to 1 piston.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 09:39:06 pm »
Ive been reading about conversion to single carb using the YTM660 inlet manifold, anyone actually done it. Should have picked up SRX Keihins for it while I was in Japan  ::)
Could be worth a go.
I have seen a twin Amal carb set up on a tt 600 at the Connondale classic one year, both carbs where slide operated with syncro'd cables. (instead of the slide/vacume standard set up). It was still in a project stage, but ran well.

Offline Bruised

• C-Grade
  • Brisbane (& Mackay) Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 10:47:31 pm »

Co-incidentally, I bought a TT600 today  ;D ;D (with the engine removed) and it came with twin 32.6mm (?) Keihin carb's - Cant wait to have a crack at it.
Pictures tomorrow.

Bruised.
The Romans didn’t build a great empire by organising meetings.  They did it by killing anybody who got in their way.

All people are your relatives; therefore expect only trouble from them

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 07:41:27 am »
I have seen a twin Amal carb set up on a tt 600 at the Connondale classic one year, both carbs where slide operated with syncro'd cables. (instead of the slide/vacume standard set up). It was still in a project stage, but ran well.

I have gone in another direction that seems popular, I have picked up YFM Grizzly inlet manifold for $60, which is single entry and then can use only one carb... $90 bought me RMZ carb, cables and throttle, so will have a go with that set up.
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 08:26:20 am »
Well God bless the modern 4 stroke riders, just picked up RMZ450 carb, throttle, cables and hot start for $90.

Which has got me to thinking about DIY Keihin conversions for some of my other 4 strokes, Ducati, Harley given the availability of cheap state of the art FCR carbs

While i understand the convenience benefit if fitting modern carbs etc doesn't that defeat the purpose of Vintage racing  ??? Why stop there just bolt the TT plastics to an RMZ 450  ;)