Author Topic: Is there a easy way to get an MA license?  (Read 8932 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Is there a easy way to get an MA license?
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:41:07 pm »
I mean you cant even do it online, No wonder most old blokes just dont bother.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a easy way to get an MA license?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:21:03 pm »
Yes a bit of a rigmarole. Download form from MA website, get club secretary to sign form that you are a member of an affiliated club, send form with credit card details to MA for your state. They send license and MOMs back.  Stamp and envelope is right up old bloke alley ;D ;D Unless all clubs have a membership database MA can access on line it would be hard to do fully online.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 07:28:45 pm »
Easy enough to get a one-event licence on the day.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:50:29 pm »

Can be faxed or emailed.

Once you haven't held a licence for more than 3 months you have to do the first time licence test which is downloaded from MA or state.
This has to be corrected by a licenced coach who also has to sign off whether you can ride or not.

I do it for our club
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:05:40 pm »
Were you hoping to get one on ebay? Everyone i ride with has one, i didn't think it was that hard. Certainly a lot easier than getting your Qride motorcycle licence..

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:25:46 pm »

ROFL - five years ago, we'd hear the opposite.

-------

The whole process is pretty simple, really. Try getting a CAMS race or rally licence and you'll discover a new appreciating for MA...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:09:32 am »

ROFL - five years ago, we'd hear the opposite.

-------

The whole process is pretty simple, really. Try getting a CAMS race or rally licence and you'll discover a new appreciating for MA...

When I rode in the 70's we had to hold a CAMS License to race in state events in W.A

Kevin
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 07:47:22 am »
Has anyone done a CAMS license lately? Last time I did one I just filled in the form online attached a photo and they posted it to me the next day.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 08:55:25 am »
get club secretary to sign form that you are a member of an affiliated club,

Yep and that part has been like that since day one (or ever since I can remember anyway)

Has anyone done a CAMS license lately? Last time I did one I just filled in the form online attached a photo and they posted it to me the next day.

You make it sound easy but how did you get around doing the online test and getting the doctors certificate in one day?
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 09:58:56 am »

Jeez, you must be really old! :D
The Internet didn't exist back when CAMS was that easy to get along with... Unless you're talking about a L2/L2S, which has always been pretty straight forward (despite CAMS' hierarchy's best efforts).

A CAMS race licence requires an OLT which is a full day and several hundred dollars. Then a medical. Then post of to CAMS and wait from them to reject it on some stupid technicality...
CAMS rally licence has the world's stupidest online "lecture"/test, medical declaration ("have you even been to see a doctor?"...), then post it off and wait for it to be rejected on a technicality.

Turn around times are also bloody average - way better than five years ago, but still a lot longer than MA.

CAMS also has this nasty (and I suspect illegal) habit of back dating your renewal to 12 months after your licence expired. They've finally begun to yield if you pressure them, but they will still try it on.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:59:42 am »
I did the online test at the same time as I filled in the application, They didn't ask me for a Doctor cert

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:01:41 am »
What licence did you get?
Was is a new one or a renewal?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:37 am »
I had to undergo a full medical and get a doctors certificate when i had a CAMS licence 20 yrs ago and then sit in a class room for a written test..

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 10:28:16 am »
What licence did you get?
Was is a new one or a renewal?

It was a new one I got for navigation/driver for the Safari

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 11:42:03 am »
Lets play a little Devils advocate

1) Completed licence application, Well yes one must fill out a form with details etc.
2) Club membership card. Why must one belong to club to buy a License? What practical use does this have. Must clubs run on multi club or club day license so I will have to join there club any way. And as for needing a club sec to sign my application form again what practical use is this? Its not the 1960’s anymore.How does this complicated stone age BS make me safer or you better off.
3) Ambulance Cover. Again what Nanny came up with this gem. What buiness of MA’s is it how I run my personal affairs. Do they have to pay the Ambo? no they don’t so Fu*k off out of my affairs.
4) Identification. Again what real practical use is this? What is the likely hood of me needing or wanting a false license? I have to send some passport photo’s so it will have to match my head. They could be at least a bit practical and just ask for a scan of your drivers License. To me it is just unnecessary BS.
5)Theory test. Well at least this has a practical use but it could be done online in 15 minutes.
6)Practical test To the best of my knowledge in all my years of racing have I seen anyone enter a race who could not operate a motorcycle.
7)Payment Lets not forget this GEM and it is important whilst it will be sadly misused at least I can understand it.

Even I could steam line this BS and computerize it so the whole thing took 5 days from start to finish.
Rant Over. 
I wonder how much more MA could make from entry fee’s etc if more guys raced more often rather than keeping it to a few One day license events.