Author Topic: Is there a easy way to get an MA license?  (Read 8929 times)

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a easy way to get an MA license?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 12:18:57 pm »
Well

Club membership helps develop income for the affiliated clubs and these clubs are as we are all aware are great places for like minded people , but most importantly a place to catch up with and race your buddies

About a 1600 km round trip on the week-end , saw my buddies ,had some good food, listen to rediculous jokes, much laughter , rode a vinduro, sat at the hospital with Dangerous Dave and now i have another bunch of great memories. Thats what club membership means to me.

Ambulance and Medical cover saves some people from themselves

Indentification  for one example stops banned riders etc etc etc from gaining licenses under false preteneces

Example : The people at your  new club  dont know you from a bar of soap and surely are not aware of your resume in respect to riding , same for practical test. If MA are going supply the major insurance their insurer needs some type of confidence that you have some compentency in relation to riding. "Its called risk management"

MA or MSNW might no be the best business model and  not ideal in everyone's eyes , but its what we have and we should support it.

Certainly , every year i do my renewal for my license its easy and dealt with very prompty by MNSW.

I go to MNSW courses when required which are well set out and informative so i really dont see a major issue

i deal with MNSW and course inspectors from time to time when setting enduro , vinduro and MX  courses and apart from one mix up with timing they are prompt informative and very courteous to those setting up events

Regards

Shoey
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:38:49 pm by HVA61 »
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 12:30:53 pm »
Lets play a little Devils advocate

1) Completed licence application, Well yes one must fill out a form with details etc.
2) Club membership card. Why must one belong to club to buy a License? What practical use does this have. Must clubs run on multi club or club day license so I will have to join there club any way. And as for needing a club sec to sign my application form again what practical use is this? Its not the 1960’s anymore.How does this complicated stone age BS make me safer or you better off.
3) Ambulance Cover. Again what Nanny came up with this gem. What buiness of MA’s is it how I run my personal affairs. Do they have to pay the Ambo? no they don’t so Fu*k off out of my affairs.
4) Identification. Again what real practical use is this? What is the likely hood of me needing or wanting a false license? I have to send some passport photo’s so it will have to match my head. They could be at least a bit practical and just ask for a scan of your drivers License. To me it is just unnecessary BS.
5)Theory test. Well at least this has a practical use but it could be done online in 15 minutes.
6)Practical test To the best of my knowledge in all my years of racing have I seen anyone enter a race who could not operate a motorcycle.
7)Payment Lets not forget this GEM and it is important whilst it will be sadly misused at least I can understand it.

Even I could steam line this BS and computerize it so the whole thing took 5 days from start to finish.
Rant Over. 
I wonder how much more MA could make from entry fee’s etc if more guys raced more often rather than keeping it to a few One day license events.   

I believe that MA merely 'very strongly recommends' Ambo cover.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:33:58 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 01:23:40 pm »
Lets play a little Devils advocate

1) Completed licence application, Well yes one must fill out a form with details etc.
2) Club membership card. Why must one belong to club to buy a License? What practical use does this have. Must clubs run on multi club or club day license so I will have to join there club any way. And as for needing a club sec to sign my application form again what practical use is this? Its not the 1960’s anymore.How does this complicated stone age BS make me safer or you better off.
3) Ambulance Cover. Again what Nanny came up with this gem. What buiness of MA’s is it how I run my personal affairs. Do they have to pay the Ambo? no they don’t so Fu*k off out of my affairs.
4) Identification. Again what real practical use is this? What is the likely hood of me needing or wanting a false license? I have to send some passport photo’s so it will have to match my head. They could be at least a bit practical and just ask for a scan of your drivers License. To me it is just unnecessary BS.
5)Theory test. Well at least this has a practical use but it could be done online in 15 minutes.
6)Practical test To the best of my knowledge in all my years of racing have I seen anyone enter a race who could not operate a motorcycle.
7)Payment Lets not forget this GEM and it is important whilst it will be sadly misused at least I can understand it.

Even I could steam line this BS and computerize it so the whole thing took 5 days from start to finish.
Rant Over. 
I wonder how much more MA could make from entry fee’s etc if more guys raced more often rather than keeping it to a few One day license events.   

# 2  Clubs are the backbone of racing, if they are not supported they will collapse. If racing was left to business’s to run then there would be a lot more costs involved. People can join as many clubs as they want to nowadays which is great if you are into multiple disciplines as many clubs focus on one discipline but it is not good for the clubs as people don’t tend to be so loyal when it comes to working bee’s etc. many will just co off and ride with a different club rather than go to a working bee.
You are better off because it helps keep clubs alive.
Cams has the same requirement.

# 3  I can just see someone getting lumbered with a huge ambulance fee and then bleating that they thought they were covered and then start blaming club officials for not informing them. Club officials are just ordinary guys that don’t need that sort of grief.
Like really, you would rather pay 5 grand or more for a chopper ride than have your privacy infringed upon?

# 4  Photo ID on your licence is necessary other wise how many ‘mates’ will be riding on the one licence on different weekends.
Back in the days of no photo on your car licence I worked with a bloke who constantly had a band aid on his forearm. After a couple of months he finally confessed that he had lost his licence and was driving with his brother’s licence. He had tattooed his own name on his forearm (I dunno, maybe he couldn’t remember who he was when he was pissed) and so covered it with a band aid everyday.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 01:25:33 pm »
I understand that a majority of MANSW are volunteers and deserving of our support I for one have done just about every job there is when it comes to running motorcycling events and I have forgotten how many courses etc I have done over the years. During the early 90's I had the MA office on speed dial and the fax cranking out endless paper work..  I have also seen true believers try and change MA for the better only to be worn down and leave shaking there heads. I just frustrated that there still stuck in the same rut regardless of who is running them.
It's well past time they move into the 90's at least. The reality is I probably wont bother to get a full license again so I will just ride a few selected events and skip most of the local heaven rounds.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 01:58:08 pm »
I’ve been around long enough to remember when MA first bought in the one day Licenses this was a great initiative and took a lot effort. The idea being that it would encourage first timers to try the sport without a high set up cost and by pure accident it gave the customer exactly what they wanted. At only $15.00 each they sold like cold beer at a shearers picnic, entries doubled the local yokels turned up in droves. We had to setup separate sign points just to accommodate them. Did MA look at this boom with glee that they taped an unknown market? Know they recoiled in horror and quickly put a limit on how many one rider could buy per year and of course the locals just went back to riding at there mates place or the local disused quarry. After much protest MA then lifted there limit but at the same time put the price up to $50.00. It seems they just really believed that riders should get a full license. If it wasn’t a monopoly it would have died many years ago.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 02:58:56 pm »

The reason that MSA (in my case) wants to know about ambulance cover is because every time a rider signs the Indemnity section of their entry form they are acknowledging the following clause on that indemnity;

"I acknowledge and agree that if required, the Indemnitees (or any of them) may arrange medical or hospital treatment (including ambulance transportation) for me.  I authorise such actions being taken by the Indemnitees and agree to meet all costs associated with such action.  I understand it is compulsory for me to have ambulance insurance in some form and I accept responsibility for the cost of ambulance transportation, ambulance cover and further agree to maintain ambulance cover during the term of my license / membership."

I have been the Clerk of Course at a few local club Poney Express events and have had to sort out arguments between injured rides (generally locals on One Day Licenses) who have crashed out of the event injuring themself. In all the cases the injured rider had sign the Indemnity form, and had answered YES when asked about Ambulance cover / private health cover by the person taking their entry. In all these cases the rider had plainly lied about having cover, thinking that they wouldn't need it because they are "top gun" riders and won't crash and hurt themself. Then they find themself sitting in the firsts aid tent asking the Ambos for pain relief for the broken collar bone or wrist etc only to be told that if the Ambos administer any pain relief (give them the magic whistle to suck), then that have to be transported to the nearest hospital via ambulance, they end up arguing with the ambos and demanding some thing for the pain, and saying that the girlfreind/mate will drive them to the hospital. This is where the lies told when entering become apparent, they are generally smart enough to realise that a ride in an ambulance is not cheap and want to avoid it at all costs. As CoC, I have alway sided with the Ambos, who are generally volenteers and being paid nothing for their time (local club event, remember).

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 03:16:15 pm »
We ride for $30 at our vmx club,pays farmer,ambulance ,and public liability insurance.
Where does a national bodys money go? Not much to the average punter normally.

Could try getting a licence at the print shop next to the chineese Metisse fram maker in down to beijing?
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 04:41:09 pm »
Bazza ,contrary to believe, MA  is a privately owned company with only a handfull of shareholders situated in Melbourne  drawing 6 digit wages , driving flash cars and have good dividends . With all the volunteers working for zilch , the fees rolling in every week , not a bad set up I reckon  ;) 

Same story is used as a criticism by CAMS against AASA.
I greatly prefer the way AASA runs, than the corrupt old boys' club of CAMS...
If AASA can pay its top brass well, while still offering better service at a lower cost, then that just illustrates how f$&ked CAMS are...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:43:31 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 05:08:26 pm »
i'm going to renue my MA compititon licence tomorow  :-\  my last one expired in around 2009, although i've used several single event licences since then. if i was only doing ride day's i'd just use single event licences but they used to cost $75 per event for a roadrace meeting.

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 06:17:53 pm »
So can I race all year on day license ?
I thought I could only do that once?
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 06:22:42 pm »
Quote from: TFR link=topic=28116.msg274405#msg2744 05 date=1362640673
Just the weekend only, would be good if it was for a year will be cheap as ;)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 06:23:25 pm »

You can buy a one day license every time you race if you wish. I'm not sure but I think there over $100.00 these days so $250 for a full year is more effective.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 06:26:10 pm »
One day licence is $50 or $55.00 but post classic champs is $77.00 ???

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 06:31:32 pm »
but post classic champs is $77.00

That's because it's a championship. The only championship that you can use a one day licence.
One day race licences are only permitted for club & interclub (Regions)
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 07:10:42 pm »
but post classic champs is $77.00

That's because it's a championship. The only championship that you can use a one day licence.
One day race licences are only permitted for club & interclub (Regions)

ALL single event licences for historic race meetings were $75 per event and a full years MA licence was around the $300, so if you were planning on doing more than 4 meetings a year then it'd be cheaper to get the full licence. i've used single event licences for the WSBK historic supports and the Island Classic, plus used them for the Southern Classic at Broadford and our State Championships.. plus various club and interclub meetings.

you have to weigh up whether you're going to get the full value out of a MA licence per calender year, or just keep getting single event licences, both for circuit and VMX/MX ride days.