Author Topic: When is classic dirt  (Read 15777 times)

Doggy Digger

Re: When is classic dirt
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 05:34:11 pm »
Just about the best track I've ever ridden on ... and having it
bunted/taped all the way around just made it feel
so much better.   Saturday morning was gold.

Like a British GP or similar.   L.O.V.E.D  -  I.T!!!

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 06:14:26 pm »
I could not believe how fast and how well the old champs were riding on the trick old bikes at the lunchtime exhibition.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 08:19:21 pm »
It was a good track, but best ever? wow.....

Needed a few jumps and less off camber corners. There were far too many of them and everyone I spoke to on the weekend agreed.

(I am speaking of the main track here btw).

This should not be seen as criticism, simply feedback - although I am sure the usual trolls will jump all over it....   ::)

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 08:32:40 pm »
I have never been to CD as I am new to VMX
One question can juniors ride? My son is 10 and races and I am sure he could handle the track.
Would be a nice father son event.
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 09:04:08 pm »
I think its AO riding TFR. I will go again for the day if it is in Lithgow/ /Wang
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Doggy Digger

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 09:25:05 pm »
"Needed a few jumps and ..."

That exactly why I loved it - no jumps!!
(This white man can't jump or ride over bumps)

Offline oz555ktm

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 09:53:27 pm »
 Look I had a Top time and so did my son and all the Blokes in our Camp..

I used 20 ltr of petrol in a 4 stroke .that a lot of riding .

All track where Fun and Safe . the Big long tracks made it even safer than any other Years .

One of the Thing I love so much is that is all  ezy layed back Good time ..

Just like all the other 9 befor it.

When every it is or when every it is I we Be going ..

By the Way My son is 22 years Old ...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:51:17 pm by oz555ktm »
And Please forgive me as I cant Spell for Shit ...
And I have very Bad Gramer ...too I been told ......

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 10:30:40 pm »
Sorry to be a Troll but I loved the off cambers and no jumps.
Suited my tired old body and it was just good old fashion fun to ride.
There was heaps of room to overtake with most corners having many options for lines.
Remember also that this event draws out a lot of guys that don’t ride much and if the track was too full on then they would just end up spectators.

We arrived late in miserable weather and finding a camp site was hard in the dark. We were wondering what the deal was with the bunted off camping sections.
Don’t you just love the modern beurocratic world.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 10:44:44 pm »
I will never forget last year, i took the friday off from work, we set up camp in the rain and sleet on friday arvo as the sun went down some dude on a four wheeler came and told us we were too close to the fence. It was a good thing that the dude had a couple of kids with him so we just buttoned our lips and did what he asked. We had to move everything. two hours later some more people set up in the same possi near the fence and they stayed there all weekend. What a F around. so it goes to show its not worth getting there early to get a good position.
I must say that marking out with track hardwood timber stakes seemed a bit dangerous.
Brett
Dear Brett
I am going to reply on behalf of the 6 main people that set CD 9 up all non paid helpers
1 You took Friday off most of us where there 2 weekends before and the week leading up to it and a couple of days after to set up and clean up!
2 You had to set up your camp in the rain and snow. You should have been there the week end before we started at first light and the snow didnt melt until about 11oclock and it was F*%King cold all day!
3 The Dude in the ATV is a very good mate and he would not have asked you to move just to be a Pr$%K.
4 There where boundry markers placed all around the campsite and signs so I am not sure how you managed to miss them when the other 300 campers didn't?
5 2 hours later which would have been in the pitch dark you say someone else turned up and pitched there tent in the same place well good on you for watching them do it and saying nothing to them!
6 14 kms of bunting was laid all 2000 pegs where put in and laid over in the direction of traffic and pointing  away from the track with the bunting secured at the bottom I know because I went round and checked every peg saturday morning on every track. I look forward to you supplying us with a more suitable safety peg ( We will need at least 2000)
7 I should imagine the reason other people where not asked to move was because of the storm that hit friday night I know the six of us had bigger issues to deal with than that!
So when you get on this forum complaining that it was  a bit inconvenient spare a thought for all the manly club members and all the other helpers that gave up there week end to make sure you had a good time.
Warm Regards
Steve Baker

xrBarf

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 11:23:52 pm »
Well said Steve. :) May I personally thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the work and spare time you and the band of helpers  put in to staged a great show. It was the best weekend iv'e had for a long long time. As Doggy said the tracks were Grouse and set up well also. Rode as much as I could and drank all night with a pile of old mates. Really  the only complaint I had was the CD9 hangover I had each morning. Had an absolute ball.!!!!  :) :)   Regards Les

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 11:40:36 pm »
So when you get on this forum complaining that it was  a bit inconvenient spare a thought for all the manly club members and all the other helpers that gave up there week end to make sure you had a good time.
Well written Steve.....Quite often the poor bastards who donate their time, energy and sometimes finances are overlooked by punters who think that these events just materialise out of the ether. I'm certain Brett's a really nice bloke and perhaps the inclement weather clouded his outlook, I know Friday nights windstorm tested a lot of our patience. I hope he now understands that while some rules seem a bit silly, they're usually in place to placate some official body or another, most often Sport and Recreation or local council legislation. For big events like CD to work we all need to play by the rules whether we think they're dumb or not. Once anarchy takes over at these big events, things turn to shit really quickly and the event is spoiled for everyone.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 11:48:09 pm »
Well said, Steve.  As one person put it to me at an MX event  "You only do it so you can order people around" ::)  I don't work at MX events much anymore.  

The carparking event that is CD friday is pretty stressful :o    

Cheers
Noel  
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:50 pm »
"You only do it so you can order people around"
I thought that about you too Noel ::).............just kidding, I've copped the exact same comment and it's pretty demoralising.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 09:59:54 am »
I have never been to CD as I am new to VMX
One question can juniors ride? My son is 10 and races and I am sure he could handle the track.
Would be a nice father son event.

Just to clarify:  No, Juniors are not allowed to ride at Classic Dirt.  While it would be a "nice thing" to be able to do, the extra administrative issues, along with having to have yet another track just make this impossible.  And of course, it's bad enough trying to stop old men racing about in the camping area on minibikes, let alone having kids doing so.  ;D

FYI, we had a group of young kids racing around the camping area at CD4 and it ended up being very nasty indeed.  Frankly, we just don't need the aggro!  ;)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 07:37:40 pm »
Ok steve and your 6 other mates that i have offended and everyone else who may be lookin in on this.
Sorry for being inappreciative.
I would like like to remove my previous posts, but that would be week as piss also
Cheers Brett