Author Topic: When is classic dirt  (Read 15763 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: When is classic dirt
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2013, 09:37:45 am »
Hey HVA man, dont have a shot at clubs, alot of people put alot of hard work and money into them....your event (since your defending it) is a money making machine first and foremost.....if the magazine didnt make money it simply wouldnt happen...period!!.  We are all learning every time we put an event on and we all make mistakes/forget things/cop shit weather...life goes on....A couple of people voice a few "negative" comments [ in your opinion]and its world war 3......things only get better when things are discussed....look at it as we can improve that next year. Re-read the last line of your post and then go look in a mirror......then go take a couple of moggadon's.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2013, 09:54:44 am »
World war three , now who's exagerating

And thanks for stating the obvious
"alot of people put alot of hard work and money into them"

Motorcycling Club's may be none for profit organisations , however if they dont make some money they also dont exist as result of the non funding issue.

And whilst we are at it  "whats a moggadon ", is this some type of self pleasuring device you use whilst looking in the mirror. "Lighten up old man" 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:23:05 am by HVA61 »
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2013, 07:44:18 pm »
I loved the tracks ,had a great weekend ,hope its colder and windier this year .Bring it on .I cant wait to get roosted by GB again every 3 laps .Yeehah .Hilly
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »
Interesting comments coming in on track marking - now there's something I have had a bit to do with . .

No one method is going to please everyone but you can get very close!  How much are those blue markers I wonder, $4, $6, more? When you need 2000 they could be exxy. 

Over the years we have tried most methods, and found out a few things . . it all depends on the type of event and what you want out of it and how much you can afford.

Non competitive events don't need the "full works" bunting all way round but they sure look good.  One method I have been considering for a while and one which John O mentioned is painting  lines on the edges of the track. This would look trick, saves a whole lot of pegs and no clean up afterwards! Only need to dress up the corners (parawebbing, hay bales, cones, even some blue markers ;D and you have a good track that would feel pretty good to ride. If you want to be a bit slack, paint one line down the middle and tell the riders to follow it - the track will then mark itself in.

For competition events we find the riders like to "invent" good lines without physical barriers. Bunting (tape) the whole track is a good thing (looks good but loads of work) and seems to be the accepted norm, but wont fully prevent the 'inventive' riders. All you can do is setting up the corner entry and corners well with physical barriers like mentioned above.

There are a bunch of things to consider that CAN and DO go wrong with track marking methods - wind, riders constantly taking out tape, access for officials vehicles / medics / water trucks etc.  Having the tape any distance off the ground creates lots of problems, and so do the pegs that hold it there!

We tried very cheap 19mm garden grade poly tubing (soft stuff) - easy to cut with scissors, light to carry, very flexible if hit.  We used battery drills with old wood augers in them to drill holes odd1.

I can tell you now I will not be bending over to to drill holes in  the ground to put conduit in for hours on end its bad enough swinging a sledge hammer

You can weld extensions to the augers if you like. I can tell you it IS easier than banging in stakes, each hole takes about 10 secs and you work with a mate who pokes them in the holes. Just need plenty of drills / batteries!
The tape in these photos is held by poly pipe.

It works really well when you keep the tape close to the ground, they dont pull out if hit by a bike.

Of course if you feel the need to go over the top and spend $25,000 on sponsors roller banners you could do this . .

Sorry 'bout all the photos but thought people might like to see them.  Oh, and the photos only show the soft stuff, but 90% of our ground is hard as a goats forehead!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:31:43 pm by Barra »

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2013, 09:37:53 pm »
We use "baynott" like 300mm steel rod about 10mm round with 20mm round welded to the end-push or bang in ground and flexi plastic tube sits in the top 20mm bit
for cost you can use bunting only on corners-colour A on left and colour B on right.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2013, 10:33:28 pm »
Geez Barra who paid for that lot  :o  :o

and for those that dont know why, its not left around after any marked out event.
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2013, 05:53:25 pm »
The blue track markers that we use at QVMX are made in Sydney....how good is that....Ph   0408 694804.....they cost $4 each for orders under 500 and cheaper if you order more.....and as Barra said, its easier drilling holes in the ground than banging them in and at the end of the day they're easier to pull out.....easy to store and hard too miss when your packing up.....and dont dent pipes. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2013, 09:30:14 pm »
Geez Barra who paid for that lot     

The sponsors, the club,  . . . . . and the spectators. That was the 2005 Oceania MX. We made a loss though, so can any of you guys who went please chip in another $10 and we should break even! ha ha

Sorry for continuing to take this off topic, I'll guess we can blame STW996 for that one  :o - but it is an important issue and relevant to CD or any green field event.  Hopefully some good ideas get put out there for others to pick up on.  Even though wooden stakes are easy, it would be good to see the end of them - or at least to never ever again see another event where they are driven in wrongly i.e. upright!!   

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2013, 09:47:13 pm »
How many injuries were recorded at CD9 related to wooden stakes?

To say that they were incorrectly installed I believe is also incorrect.

Cheers

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2013, 09:52:38 pm »
Geez Barra who paid for that lot     
The sponsors, the club,  . . . . . and the spectators. That was the 2005 Oceania MX. We made a loss though, so can any of you guys who went please chip in another $10 and we should break even! ha ha
Sorry for continuing to take this off topic, I'll guess we can blame STW996 for that one  :o - but it is an important issue and relevant to CD or any green field event.  Hopefully some good ideas get put out there for others to pick up on.  Even though wooden stakes are easy, it would be good to see the end of them - or at least to never ever again see another event where they are driven in wrongly i.e. upright!!   

Thats a good size event to be spending the $$ on then.  :o  and relavant to all events even the usual club day across OZ.

On the hijack of thread and STW996,you may have missed todays departing of vmx42.Hopefully he'll have a  break and return soon.Everyones entitled to there opinion on ozvmx  ;D

Thread hijacks are as common as oilin the chain and fillin up your tank.After all, we are all here for the same thing ~ old bikes,dirt and fun.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2013, 10:00:01 pm »

To say that they were incorrectly installed I believe is also incorrect.

Cheers

Sorry XC83, my comments were not pointed to CD 9, I'm sure it was great event.  Just saying it would be good for all events that use them that they be put in right.  Happy to see you're on the ball, we need to clone you! :D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2013, 10:45:06 pm »
The wooden stake debate is a thread hijack, I certainly didn’t mean my opinion to be a slight against CD as they are used at many events and I don’t know what injuries they have ever caused but they make me nervous when I see them.

It’s not just the Greenfield tracks that use these short wooden stakes as the first time I really paid any attention to them was a few years ago at a big meeting at Broadford where they had used them around the whole track to hold the bunting in place.
They do make the track look good by holding the bunting in place which makes for a professional and picturesque track, but at Broadford they were pointing in all directions and even though you could point them away from the direction of travel there is no guarantee that they won’t be nudged throughout the day.

The thought of some one being impaled on them brings a shudder through my spine.

I understand the wooden pegs are cheap and simple and not all events can justify more expenditure but if they can be avoided then all the better.

A couple of years back I rider in front of me hit one of the metre long stakes used to hold the bunting at Harrow which then flew through the air and bounced off my headlight smashing it to pieces before it bounced off my shoulder. It had quite a bit of force to it and while a sore shoulder and a new headlight surround were no big deal to me, fate can sometimes deal cruel blows and if the stake had of been at a different angle when it hit me it may have created a different story.

Yeah I know, we wiz past trees and rocks and all manner of shit all the time and I will continue to do so but safety issues shouldn’t be scoffed at.

I heard that the tyres surrounding Broadford track had to be removed to satisfy the FIM when the GP’s came to town a decade ago (although it may have only been the truck tyres).

And Jeff, while I disagree with you I see no need for you to commit virtual suicide, I look forward to your views whether I agree with them or not.
If everyone I disagreed with left here I would find it lonely by myself.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Simo63

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2013, 12:04:36 am »
Cheers

Hopefully none but do you really think that is a valid arguement?  Does the fact that there were none at CD9 mean that there will be none at future events?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:30:55 am by Simo63 »

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:57 pm »
Seeing a bunch of these at some road works made me think of the whole issue of track markers.  They retail for around $20, therefore wholesale for around $12-$13 putting the wholesalers cost around $6-$7

I thought they would be easy to use, no drilling/hammering etc and use the bunting tape or rope (with sponsors banners on them).  MA could purchase a container (or three) direct from China (I'm sure there is enough people around who deal with China to help with this) and then sell/subsidise (or give  ;D) to clubs.  Although the cost to mark a whole track may be too expensive.

http://optraffic.en.made-in-china.com/product/WKGJXCsxbEVc/China-Australian-Standard-T-Top-Bollard-NT-TBD-01-.html

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2013, 09:27:21 pm »
That's a very dangerous mix....bikies and bollards :o
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B