Author Topic: What Bikes Changed Everything?????????  (Read 14714 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: What Bikes Changed Everything?????????
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 10:26:16 am »
BSA like all British manufacturers and industry back then suffered from NIH syndrome (Not Invented Here )   so it was inevitable they would dissapear up their own arse
I love the story of the BSA directors examining a new Honda 750 four in their boardroom over their Friday afternoon gin and tonics and pissing themselves with glee over how the Japs had made a big mistake by making a bike "too complicated for the average man" and how their Rocket 3 would outsell them by 10-1. The Rocket 3 turned out to be a lemon, the Honda became one of the greatest bikes of all time and BSA was broke within the year and those idiots were all looking for jobs.
A mate of mine has a cannondale and its pretty trick, l haven't ridden it but I'd like to, reverse cylinder, fuel injection, heaps of other goodies on it.... 
And unfortunately they were crap. Too much innovation in one jump, the EFI mapping was a disaster as was the engine reliability. They came within a cooee of bankrupting Cannondale and they really haven't been a force in the bicycle game since.  They're a very cool collector piece though. I almost bought a zero miles one myself but thankfully changed my mind. (I've got a complete NOS Cannondale ignition I got for schooner money on eBay that I've been considering fitting to something or other. I may see if it'll fit my 500 Triumph motor ;D....seriously.)
What about the 89 Husaberg? First modern era 4 stroke to beat 2 strokes on a level field. Lighter and purer racer than the Husky.
Of course Graeme, I totally forgot the Husabergs contribution but still reckon that the big Husky had a bigger impact overall, especially after Jacky Martens won the World title. I had a chance of buying a very special early TC 610 that Hans Apelgren bought into ther country for one of the Shearer's to ride in the Thumpernats. It was loaded with billet unobtainium and reputedly the forks were hand made billet works WP's. It was a few years old by the time Kevin Flood offered it to me but it was still the quickest bike I'd ridden up until that date. If it'd been a registerable TE I'd have grabbed it. I wonder where it is today ???.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:52:34 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 10:40:29 am »
Dead right Jerry :) 
 so it was inevitable they would dissapear up their own arse  :-[
If you read Ivor Davies book"Its a Triumph" you will see that Edward Turner new what was happening long before the rest.
cheers.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 11:41:36 am »
What about the 89 Husaberg? First modern era 4 stroke to beat 2 strokes on a level field. Lighter and purer racer than the Husky.
Of course Graeme, I totally forgot the Husabergs contribution but still reckon that the big Husky had a bigger impact overall, especially after Jacky Martens won the World title.

I was going to mention the Bergs, there was a guy called Joel Smets who was pretty quick on one. But it was the YZ400F under Doug Henry that got the US Supercross time and rewrote the book.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 11:59:38 am »
pffttt - take your love for compressors and shove it up you budgie smugglers .....  >:(

125cc - up to 125cc

250cc - 126cc to 250cc

500cc 251cc - 500cc

Thems are the categories ..... ya run whut ya brung within those numbers  :-X
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 12:26:29 pm »
I was going to mention the Bergs, there was a guy called Joel Smets who was pretty quick on one
No argument on Smets or Husabergs contribution but Jacky's win on the Husky came first and because it was a 4 stroke in a sea of 2 strokes it had a greater impact on the sport. By the Time Joel and his Husaberg came along we were more used to the 'fast four stroke' concept. I still believe that the Yamaha YZF400 merely finished off the job that Husky and Husa had started in nailing the lid on the two strokes coffin.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 12:46:04 pm »
I dunno what Martens bike was, but Darryll King was running one hell of a big beastie at one stage.  I am thinking 630 off the top of my head.   What pissed me off is that it was damn near as light as my CR250.  Never in my life have I seen so much Ti and Cf other than on a F1 car  :o
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline enzo906

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 02:30:20 pm »
The CR250 1978 was so far ahead that they were beating the 400's in the open catergory.
How no one mentioned this is interesting.

RM125X, I bought the CR125 and I did not see that I had a disadvantage, in fact at Jilliby I was quicker than my friends all on RM's?

YZ80C changed minibikes forever then the E model took it a step further. BUT the Italjet 50 was keeping 125's honest in 1980! So it needs a mention.

CR250 Elisinores and the 125.
YZ125D in fact the entire D range was something special.

Ohh and the Puch 250 with the 2 carbies, it made the japs re visit engine tuneing for the better.

Personally I would say there were several bikes that pushed the boundaries but only a few made everyone change, so you have to add the YZF400, the early Honda Elsinores and the early YZ's made everyone change so they have to go down as the biggest improvement to Dirt Bikes. Special Mention to the first Watercooled CR500RF as it was insane and really that motor never changed for 20 years! I have an 2011 CR500AF and it is a detuned 1985 CR500RF!!! so make that 27 years.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »
I dunno what Martens bike was, but Darryll King was running one hell of a big beastie at one stage.  I am thinking 630 off the top of my head.   What pissed me off is that it was damn near as light as my CR250.  Never in my life have I seen so much Ti and Cf other than on a F1 car  :o
Think you're right about the engine size of DK's works husky, can remember seeing it rolled up to scrutineering at Woodville & thinking that it was something rather special. Hate to think what it was worth

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 08:20:30 am »
Should have seen us drooling like idiots as parts were being removed from the shipping boxes  :o   

GT43

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 04:50:56 pm »

As bad as it was, the 250J was a bike that introduced the powervalve system, and safety seats.
Other manufacturers also seemed to follow later with trendy coloured seats.

Errm, I think this bike had a big impact. (pre BC open)  ::)

Offline 2 shocks

• A-Grade
  • Gods Country !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 05:49:01 pm »
GT43, absolutely hilarious, you have just lightened up our world, cant stop laughing  ;D ;D ;D

Mr & Mrs Maico #54

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2012, 07:05:13 pm »
One bike that I think became the best trail bike of the 80's
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 07:31:42 pm »
1985 KX AND CR 500 FIRST WATERCOOLED PRODUCTION 500S
COPYS OF THE WORKS BIKES VERY COOL AT THE TIME AND
STILL A COOL BIKE 8)
follow me to first turn

GT43

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 08:54:16 pm »

I agree.
I think the YZ250J would have been better if they left the Cantilever rear end like the IT250 with the air-cooled engine, and added power-valve.
The YZ suspension was to soft and not progressive enough, plus radiator on the bars added a to high center of gravity on the bike.
Having said that, they can be setup to work well, I love em. I have a YZ250J roller in the shed.

GT43, absolutely hilarious, you have just lightened up our world, cant stop laughing  ;D ;D ;D

Mr & Mrs Maico #54
;D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 10:32:18 pm »

That's not my bike is it Mick  ;D? I agree, the humble IT 250/465 gave gave many many people shitloads of trouble free fun for years. My mate Bernie still has the 465H that he's had since new, it's never seriously broken down, never had the bottom end apart and is still on first over and runs like a ripper. The suspension is still working as well as the day it left Macklin Motorcycles and like all 465's, is still scary fast. That bike inspired me to buy my 250H, (I'm too old to kick over a 465 ::)). I'm looking forward to taking my IT to the farm for its first run in my ownership during the Christmas-New Year break. I haven't done anything major to it so I'll use the time to work out what needs fixin'. I'll take the PE400Z as well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:35:29 pm by firko »