Author Topic: What Bikes Changed Everything?????????  (Read 14718 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: What Bikes Changed Everything?????????
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 10:51:25 pm »
*For me and a million others it was the Yamaha DT1. This bike is literally the Model T Ford of dirt bikes, it opened the door for anyone to afford what we take for granted today.

*As far as motocross is concerned, the Honda CR250 Elsinore changed our perspective on Japanese bikes forever. The decline of the European domination of dirt bike engineering started with the introduction of the Elsinore.

*Most people credit the release of the Yamaha YZ400F as the beginnining of the modern high tech 4T motocross bike but I give that credit to the '92 Husky 610 TE/TC. Their part in dirt bike history is way underrated.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 11:26:09 pm »
the 78 model cr250 elsie stood out from the rest in the day, the closest thing to a works bike and had the go and handling to match

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 07:02:35 am »
I agree with the DT1 being one of the biggest influences on where dirt bikes are now. Cheap, reliable, cool and great styling. Perfect bike for the time.
What about the 89 Husaberg? First modern era 4 stroke to beat 2 strokes on a level field. Lighter and purer racer than the Husky.
Like it or not the YZ400F is the whole reason modern era motocross is dominated by lightweight high revving 4 strokes. Massive game changer. Still the most reliable.
One of the reasons I love Yamaha's. Inovative.
Cheers, Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 07:17:54 am »
A mate of mine has a cannondale and its pretty trick, l haven't ridden it but I'd like to, reverse cylinder, fuel injection, heaps of other goodies on it....
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 08:20:12 am »
My brothers RT1

Broke my leg trying to start it and go for a fang while he was away roadracing somewhere - was 12 at the time.

After the RT episode dad got me one of these stripped down and with knobbies on it.  Used to fang around the farm and beat any of the brothers mates on their 125s.

The first real motocross bike I slung a leg over was Bill Flowers Suzuki NZ RH250 - and fell in love with both motocross (still called scrambles here in NZ back then) and Suzuki as a marque.

First motocross bike - 3rd at OCIR in my first race.

The bike that finally gave me the needed tool to beat the FMF and DG CR125s and get to the pro class.

First modern bike when back out of retirement - and the bike I beat tmbill at the Tokoroa SX  ;D
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 08:34:24 am »
I reckon best rider on best bike changed everything for ever more. Joel Robert, RH 250 and Japanese continuous improvement philosophy. Can be traced back to Edward Demmings teachings and the rebuilding of Japanese economic and socaial culture following WW2. Here's a thought, what if the Japanese had not got involved? Lets try and work out the likely evolution of dirt bikes. This should be good! Cheers Jerry

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 08:54:08 am »

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:56:18 am by Rusty »
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline Hardex

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 09:00:33 am »
I Recon the xr75 caused a chain reaction to what we have today.

Honda went from this in the 60s

To this in the 70s

That caused all other manufactures to pull the finger out
and today most significantly is that four strokes rule the world  ::)

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 09:06:26 am »
If the Japs hadn't got involved would the Euros have still had it all to themselves and just kept muddling along or would the Yanks have fired up(and if so how?) and what if "On any Sunday" hadn't been made? Or was it all just meant to be???J

TM BILL

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 09:14:33 am »

Like it or not the YZ400F is the whole reason modern era motocross is dominated by lightweight high revving 4 strokes. Massive game changer. Still the most reliable.One of the reasons I love Yamaha's. Inovative.
Cheers, Grahame

You have got to be F&%King kidding me  ::) there were more YZF 400s blown up in the first 6 months of ownership than the British expeditionary force blew up machinary at Dunkirk  ::)

And i hear that their 2013 WR 450 is the biggest lemon since 1998  ;D

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 09:25:36 am »
If my memory serves me correctly Maico were first off with LTR so presumably the suspension revolution would have happened anyway and was it Lucien Tilken (forgive spelling) another Euro that patented the "Monoshock". Having said that didn't BSA have something similiar in the pipeline?

TM BILL

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 09:30:53 am »
Dead right Jerry :)  Mr Tilkens a Belgian developed the monoshock and Suzuki turned it down before Yamaha picked it up .

BSA like all British manufacturers and industry back then suffered from NIH syndrome (Not Invented Here )  ::) so it was inevitable they would dissapear up their own arse  :-[

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 09:45:57 am »
Exactly Bill, I'm suggesting the Euro's would have pushed the suspension thing along anyway but perhaps at a reduced pace.Presumably we would have seen the arrival of plastic at some point as well improved quality control. J

maico police

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 10:04:39 am »
When mini's got serious...... :o

Offline Husky70

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 10:12:33 am »
75 Husky 360GP. First generally available GP replica (and before the Suzuki guys whinge, did you try to get hold of an RH or RN back in the day?)