Author Topic: Calling all MOMs anoracks !  (Read 6545 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Calling all MOMs anoracks !
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:24:31 pm »
So, I just finished a 3 day, level 2 MA officials course ( Level 1, Steward, CoC, Race sec and Scrut).
The first two days where for the key officials and today was set aside for the scrutineers course.
Throughout the whole course it was constantly drummed into us the the rule book was gospel and that if it's not in the MOMs it's not a rule, and the role of the official was to enforce the rules.
All was going well until the scrutineering today which called for us all outside going over some bikes and quads, the presenter first did a check on a bike which he found a few faults that he would want to be fixed before riding, 1 being a worn/torn grip where your thumb sits and 2 a sloppy rear wheel bearing. This is where I got a bit confused, no where in the MOMs does it mention anything about grips or wheel bearings as a rule. We then had to do some other bikes, one of the other guys had a bike missing plugged bar ends to which the presenter said he would let that through, but would advise the rider to make sure it was fixed before the next meet??? WTF thats a black and white rule. When questioned about the contradictions he said there was a rule that stated all machines needed to be in good condition.....just coukldn't find it right now.
Question is can anyone else find it ???
He also said that 2013 will require all forms of bikes to have a lanyard style kill switch fitted, anyone else heard this?

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all MOMs anoracks !
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:02:42 am »
Welome to MA.
a contradiction in itself.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 11:17:08 am »
He is wrong, plugged handlebar ends are noted in All Disciplines, rule 12.8.6.1.

Can't say I've come across the rule decreeing that all bikes need to be "in good condition"...

Regarding the grips and wheel bearings, while not being in the interest of having a good, well-presented safe machine, neither would compromise the safety of the bike to impact on other competitors, so the bike would pass scrutineering but the scrutineer should draw these items to the competitor's attention and is within his rights to suggest or request that these items be rectified.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:09:23 pm »
He is wrong, plugged handlebar ends are noted in All Disciplines, rule 12.8.6.1.

Can't say I've come across the rule decreeing that all bikes need to be "in good condition"...

Regarding the grips and wheel bearings, while not being in the interest of having a good, well-presented safe machine, neither would compromise the safety of the bike to impact on other competitors, so the bike would pass scrutineering but the scrutineer should draw these items to the competitor's attention and is within his rights to suggest or request that these items be rectified.
Exactly what I thought. Check what the rule book says to check and leave the rest. No wonder scrutineers are different from one to the next.

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 05:24:27 pm »
MoMs is printed in black and white but there is a lot of grey in it.
good one evo550 for having a go, you and your club will be better off for it.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:39:01 pm »
 Hello micks where yu bin?
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 09:49:29 am »
witness protection  ;) pancho

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 10:42:20 am »
 Come in from the cold micks, you'll be right!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 11:08:06 am »
Hey Evo,
Whats your enterpratation of the rules regarding "bark Busters" in dirt track, as far as I can read into it they are permitted but I have seen a bit of a kerfuffle at the track beetween riders and some scrutineers.
I love the alloy ones but I have been told they must be able to shatter. ???
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Montynut

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 11:34:45 am »
Hey Evo,
Whats your enterpratation of the rules regarding "bark Busters" in dirt track, as far as I can read into it they are permitted but I have seen a bit of a kerfuffle at the track beetween riders and some scrutineers.

Having seen two riders in 2012 still suffering the after effects of hideous broken wrists 12 months on I would agree that bark busters should be and are outlawed in dirt track and MX. Give me a broken lever everytime

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 12:52:11 pm »

Not really, mate.
Re Track : MOMS 21.3.0.6 If hand protectors are used, they must be of a shatterproof material.

Re MX: MOMS 17.2.1.1 Hand lever protectors
   (a) Must be single mounted for motocross and supercross
   (b) May be double-mounted on machines in club and inter-club natural terrain motocross events.

I can see how that could get ugly very quickly when you go over the top on your tracker. Yeowch !

Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 01:12:59 pm »
Having seen two riders in 2012 still suffering the after effects of hideous broken wrists 12 months on I would agree that bark busters should be and are outlawed in dirt track and MX. Give me a broken lever everytime
I can see how that could get ugly very quickly when you go over the top on your tracker. Yeowch !
I'd never ever considered bark busters being unsafe but once I think about I can see why they might cause some damage. I used to have bark busters on my enduro bikes that doubled up for dirt track duty but never had any problems during my numerous crashes, lucky I guess. It's one of those things I'd never have thought of :-\.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 01:50:06 pm »
It all comes down to how you set your bark busters up.
I see a lot of guys have them pointing upwards in order to get around there levers but this is when they are at there most dangerous.
You really need them pointing downwards slightly so if you go over the bars your hands go over the top of them.
Typically it’s easier to ban something rather than work out how to avoid the problem.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 02:22:58 pm »
We don't let bb on the track other than enduro meets, too many risks in arm getting caught and really there for trees not for much else.  The rule of thumbs is if it looks unsafe it is, the grips is a crock of shit and I'd  fight it if I presented a bike. The bar end plugged though is a must. Five cent piece fix it who secs.
Don't get draw into the whole micro management thing. The bikes first and foremost should be visually safe and entered in the right class. Your role should be to check they havent forgotten to put somthign back or tighten something on, usually after working on them, your another set of eyes.   Taking screwdriver to the spokes and all that other over the top stuff is crap and only done by scrutinisers that don't know better.  It's like valve caps should be fitted but would you send one home or would you tell them to grab one off there car ?  its not life threatening.  You also need to be very sure of your legal obligation, your only checking safely from a track point of view to others in the first instance ? And if you see something that could creat injury you need to explain it. All the rest is generally up the the anality of the scrutiner but don't get caught up in that puffery.   Kill switches are not in the rules but you Would probally explain the effect of a chainsaw and ask for one to be fitted please... The biggest grief you Need to work out is your own interpretation of a chain guard and also sprocket guard, I still have guys on modern with open case savers fitted that think its ok, that one you get every other week....  Again I'd forget half of what the guy is telling you and focus on what rules are important to safety and what focus the bikes particularly in there discipline to be sure they are entered in the correct class. If its not right point it out to the race sec or Coc, your also there to catch the dumb forks who can't enter a bike in the right class.  And if your doing vintage check they have a round slide .
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:27:40 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 02:28:42 pm »
And three days..... What could they possibly talk about for three days?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff