Author Topic: What bikes would you like VMX to feature?  (Read 24412 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Re: What bikes would you like VMX to feature?
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2012, 08:11:26 pm »
Nada you gonna love this forum. Jerry

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2012, 08:21:21 pm »
Umpire!!

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2012, 08:31:27 pm »
Why would you bring up such a tragic thing .
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2012, 08:57:01 pm »
Nada not trying to stifle your opinion but hopefully you haven't seen a car wreck otherwise you would have to ride a horse. Heaps of things I don't like but know others love them so I leave them be. If vmx didn't have the huge variety it has then we would all be interested in moderns which too old eyes just all look the same with different graphics.

I didn't, Ross asked for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2012, 09:19:24 pm »
Average mate, no more from me. Enjoy whatever!

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2012, 09:48:46 pm »
Average mate, no more from me. Enjoy whatever!

Hit a nerve did I, maybe you should think before you type!
Cheers

Nada

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2012, 09:55:53 pm »
No Nada I'll debate a point but not interested in the personal stuff mate, better things to do than lower myself to that. Enjoy the forum mate.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2012, 10:09:11 pm »
No Nada I'll debate a point but not interested in the personal stuff mate, better things to do than lower myself to that. Enjoy the forum mate.

Yep, you know what I agree!

But im man enough to say that I made a mistake Ross, an I apologise! sincerely for the sleigh comment.
Cheers

Nada

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2012, 10:36:10 pm »
Wow, I go out for dinner and come back to this ???. Being from NSW where sidecar motocross doesn't really exist I have no real afinity for them but find the engineering in them interesting. I too have seen a horrific sidecar racing accident when a rider from WA got totally out of control and launched his Wasp into the crowd at the Pt Pirie Nats. The rider had entered into some sort of red mist situation and could have easily killed a little girl the bike landed on right in front of me, sadly his passenger was permanently injured. I was pretty angry over the damage this accident caused but do I hate sidecars because of it? No way, they're no more dangerous than my old DT1. It's riders doing stupid things on them that I hate. I have however seen a lot more riders doing truly dumb things on solos in my 45 years in the sport......chill 8)

Back to the subject at hand.....an interesting sidecar or two would be cool....that W650 Kawasaki beater that's being restored on here would be good, ditto some of Walters exotica. Slidey, I also called for the occasional piece on dirt track and speedway tackle. They're all dirt bikes after all. ;D 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:03:52 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2012, 08:07:58 am »
Ooops you're right Walter, at least I was in the right state  ::). That accident scared the shitter out of me, I was on the infield taking photos and I still have a strong mental picture of that big Honda four going into the crowd. The little girl and her family was just so lucky, pity about his passenger though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:11:33 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2012, 09:28:11 am »
I think VMX is probably a product of its own success both here and overseas. It has articles on all sorts of exotica that most have not seen. Its original success was in its local content. I'd like to see just a couple of pages similar to the Drakeford files or Firko's where there is a little in depth article about our Aussie legends. Would love to see it encapsulate both vmx and dirt track, because so many featured in both. Some even covered both in both solos and sidecars.
Just off the top of my head:
Clarrie Jones, vmx sidecars from Ron Bergmiers passenger through to dirt track and speedway solos and sidecars.
Ray Owens contributions to mx (Wallan) and his brilliant short circuit history.
My local hero John Timan, speedway and mx products and wheels.
Why not a feature on Nigel Boocook now residing in Bribane. ( everyone else in British Speedway has an MBE why not him? Is it cos he lives in the colonies.
Why not a feature article on Vincent Speedway trikes, everyone would have to appreciate the engineering in these rocket ships,
Brian Clarke in Bendigo with his mx and dirt track/speedway racing and promotions.
Perhaps the true gentleman of vmx, Jack Pengelly comes to mind.
Sorry for the Victorian bias but I am an ex Mexican, but there alike souls in every oz state . I dont think the international readers would be too upset with a little local content.

These guys are still around but not forever, lets get some of their stories to treasure

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2012, 01:41:21 pm »
WHAT BIKES WOULD I LIKE VMX TO FEATURE, SIDECAR MOTOCROSS SIDECARS FROM BACK WHEN IT STARTED TO PRE 1990 AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN WITH THE LEGENDS THAT RODE THEM  ;)

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2012, 11:23:32 am »
I always liked "blokes and their sheds" , Love looking at the exotica and no limit budget resto's but most of us can only dream of those types of resto's . Found some great ideas in Firko's cheep builds . Over all still enjoy the Mag ( got all the issues ) only one thought a bit of a spread in each issue eg not all exotica or all one era bikes . As a confirmed Yamaha tragic Im looking forward to the next issue but for others it would be to much old Yamaha's in one issue . Well done gents give yourselfs a pat on the back . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2012, 08:15:35 pm »
Just a thought.... how about a series of articles on the range of say Jap 125s over a year. That might make the mags even more collectable and get once off readers come back to get the series much like the English mags used to do.
Also.. on the sidecarcross side of things, a front cover shot and story about outfits would push that one issue through the roof as every rider and passenger, past and present, would buy it just for it's own sake. Probably the same for dirt track and or speedway chairs. 

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2012, 08:28:26 pm »
From memory I can only remember one article with a red Wasp very early in the 1/2 dozen mags at a guess  . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club