Author Topic: What bikes would you like VMX to feature?  (Read 24437 times)

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What bikes would you like VMX to feature?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 04:17:54 pm »
Found at a show in Ross or is this a bit to wooden for VMX ? LOL

Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 04:49:15 pm »
   Geez mate you wouldnt wanna turn up at wallerawang with that one ! wouldve ended up on the fire   ;) looks all ready to go with the jerry of instant under it  :o

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 02:23:10 pm »
Maybe there could be a once-a-year reader resto edition seperate to the regular VMX mag where there is pics and a little story of the bikes. Like evryone is saying, get it back to the bare roots of blokes and gals with different levels of restoration's covering all era's in their sheds. Dunno what it would cost, but it wouldn't necissarily have to be a high end full gloss type thing. Even if it was like $20, once a year it would probably sell. Why don't we have a poll to see what everyone thinks?

Adam
  Good idea for sure. The thing is its all too easy when you aren't the one having to do all the work and stick your neck out with dollars on a hunch that it might work. Maybe you get in touch with the owners and put some of your hard earned on the line to back it up. I'm not being a smart arse, it's just it wouldn't be such an easy decision if you were the one tipping in the money and time.
I would enjoy more readers restos and real race bikes and blokes and their sheds.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 03:39:35 pm »
seems to be a common theme emerging here
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 05:13:25 pm »
I am definitely keen to see more real blokes and sheds articles and I really enjoy the works bike features.
But at the end of the day we should be happy that Ken AJ and Jeff had the balls to take over the reigns from Ray Ryan.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 10:21:54 pm »
why rely on VMX Mag, anyone got the balls to start their own????

if so, PM me we might be able to strike a deal:)
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 06:51:53 am »
Personally I like the MX and Enduro bikes, the tricker more exotic and perfectly built the better. Anything with a trials engine, rusty bolt, tarnished plastic or matt blacked engine , that is just taking up space from the mega buck titanium exotica .... however period patina preferably applied by the knees of someone famous is also highly desirable. So dip all the trick bikes in titanium, bolt on suspension that costs the same as a small car and show garages that drained the profit from whole tow truck business empires, yep that would suit me fine.

But my tastes may not necessarily be that of others  ;)

I think it would be cool to run a best of VMX edition that draws from all the old goodies, Gary's HL500, the RN400, Fox CRs, Trevors Williams SR, titanium CZs, maybe the 50th edition?

formerly Marc.com

maico police

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 07:49:06 am »
More HL 500 replicas would be good.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 08:30:40 am »
More HL 500 replicas would be good.

Too true, I think the HL500s have been really under represented and are a very popular bike to look at and discuss. The how to rebuild a TT500 engine seemed to be a very popular tech item. Been 40 odd issues since there was on on the cover. Sold some Husky frames and some SR/TT engines and parts recently on Trademe and they ripped my arms off, so I know of at least 2 more keenly under construction.
formerly Marc.com

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 08:53:18 am »
Keep the ideas coming...  ;D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03:06 am »
Keep the ideas coming...  ;D
MX125a Cover shot ;D
"flat bickie"

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 09:13:15 am »
Always enjoy reading how someone has done a from scratch restore - particularly one of the old faithful bikes we all used to ride .... CRs, KXs, RMs, TMs, YZs etc.  However I will read and re-read any and all articles about the bikes that were extra special - Roberts RH250, DrCosters RN370, Jeff Smiths BSA etc - especially if the article is about how they were developed etc.  
Then again, what really gets my juices running is the bikes that I wanted to ride (apart from the works Suzukis) - Wheelsmith Maico, Franks Honda, FMF CR125, Rickman Montessa, DG YZs etc.  Hell, I enjoy any decent in-depth article that shows the passion of the builder/owner/restorer.
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 09:26:03 am »
Come to think of it - besides the bikes I really enjoy interviews of the people that made things happen and created amazing machines for others to ride.  The passing of Kel Franks put this at the forefront of my mind.

Some of the guys that made things happen back in the day ...

Donny Emler - Flying Machine Factory ..... The FMF CRs and much more.
Dave Miller - DMC .....  All sorts of weird and wonderful machines.
Mitch Payton - Now PC, but was Anaheim Husqvarna at the start and produced rocketship desert sleds.
Harry Klemm - Now GroupK but was at DG in the heyday and built some real flyers.

There are plenty others that just escape my memory right now - especially the East Coast guys

Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 10:17:47 am »
Diggy Doggies shed  8)
and
The top ten favourite pics of the VMX Magazines past/present photographers.
Including info on the top ten five and why they like the those top ten five (depending on page space)  :)
cheers a
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 10:43:06 am »

The top ten favourite pics of the VMX Magazines past/present photographers.

Hell you might even get an action shot amoungst them if you are not careful. I heard there has only been 2 action covers because Bill can't pan a camera.

I think if VMX did a bi Centennary issue featuring some of the bikes on the sold out collectable editions like VMX 4  it could be good for business. OR may put the MX back in VMX with an all MX no headlights edition, no boring interviews, no hard to actually get products, nothing just page after page dripping with crisp trick detailed shots of MX feature bikes.

I think one of my favourite VMX features of all time was the 74/75 KX250 one, great shots and plenty of really knowledgable tips on how to make one go even better.
formerly Marc.com